Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Only a motorcycleist understands why a dog rides in a car with his head out the window!
- (Added by: steakmaker)

Motorvation to Beemer help!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

blueflu
Posted 11/24/2004 7:26 PM (#5429)
Subject: Motorvation to Beemer help!

I'm trying to mount at Motorvation Formula II to my BMW K-100. Using the same subframe that was on it with my Terraplane, anyone have any suggestions to help a novice out?? Waiting for Motorvation to mail me some photos that will hopefully help out....
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 11/24/2004 8:56 PM (#5431 - in reply to #5429)
Subject: RE: Motorvation to Beemer help!

Expert

Lessee,
Three clevis type motorcycle frame mounts on the Terraplane hookup. Front and rear lower mounts and the rear upper lean adjuster.
Four eyebolt type motorcycle mounts on the Motorvation. Front and rear uppers and lowers.
The positioning of your lower mounts are about right but are they bolt on clevises or weld on? If bolt on they can be replaced with eyebolts. If welded on, they could be cut off and the subframe drilled and reinforced with bushings for eyebolt installation. That would take care of the lower mounts.
A frame clamp with eyebolt on the right downtube would finish off the front upper strut mount.
I don't know what your rear adjuster mount consists of, but that could probably also be converted to an eyebolt type by cutting off the clevis and replacing it with another eyebolt.
You might have to lengthen or shorten a strut or two but it seems doable.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest Sidecar
claude #3563
Posted 11/25/2004 9:46 AM (#5435 - in reply to #5431)

Expert

I would guess the front upper mount is non-existant if you had the three point hookup for the Terraplane. If so it may be good to weld a vertical upright off the subframe. It can be tied into the K Bike motor mount where the frame connects. It is best if you can continue it on up to a pinch block near the steering stem. This is a little more work but will really beef thing up.
Dauntless Motors makes a subframe for the K bikes. Lowell Neff also makes a real nice one. Working with the one you have would make a lot of sense though.

Edited by claude #3563 11/25/2004 9:51 AM
blueflu
Posted 11/25/2004 10:51 AM (#5436 - in reply to #5429)

Thanks, I appreciate the input from you both. I wanted to do this install myself but really I lack the knowledge to do it (safely). The subframe Lowell and Dauntless make, would they be just a bolt on subframe that I could then just line everything up with the Motorvation and bolt on or would I end up doing the same as I am now and having to fabricate a little here and there??? If it's as simple as the Motorvation would bolt right up to the new subframe, I would probably go that route so I could still do the install and get a little experience and still have safety in check.... What do you think?
claude #3563
Posted 11/25/2004 11:37 AM (#5437 - in reply to #5436)

Expert

Ya know sometimes a person (me) can't see the forest for the trees. Man, a good option would be to call Motorvation first. You might be surprised at the help you will get from them. They are great folks.
You may also want to post on the Terraplane Yahoo site to see if anyone needs your present subframe.
Claude
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software