Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Life's uncertain; eat dessert first.
- (Added by: Hyster)

passenger comfort and exhaust
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 11/30/2004 7:17 PM (#5488)
Subject: passenger comfort and exhaust

The tub is at the painters and I should have the fixin's from Jay tomorrow, now my question-- I'm putting the car on a bike with staggered exhaust- is this going to cause any discomfort for the passenger??? Or should I be looking at some "long" exhaust" to put the loud ends at the rear of the wheel and behind the passenger?

And for them of you what has the knowledge about exhaust systems - would it be possible to just attach long fishtail extensions onto the pipes that are on the bike now OR would the additional length of pipe screw up the back pressure and cause me tuning problems??

thanks

Grinnin' Jim in Newark, DE
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 12/1/2004 4:00 PM (#5492 - in reply to #5488)
Subject: RE: passenger comfort and exhaust

Expert

Exhaust noise irritation is subjective. To the some of GL crowd, anything above a whisper is too loud. To some of the hard core Harley crowd, anything below short drag pipes is too quiet.
Stock exhaust pipes are usually acceptable to most passengers. If they are extremely noise sensitive, earplugs or muff type noise attenuators are available for protection. I like a hearty exhaust sound (within reason) but sometimes will wear earplugs on a long days run because I find the wind noise more troublesome than exhaust noise.
I have had some customers prefer a left mounted sidecar due to exhaust noise effect on their "significant other" passenger(and half owner).
Most of the after market exhaust systems available on todays market aren't all that performance tuned anyway, so an exhaust pipe extension to help out your passenger's ears probably wouldn't decimate the performance of the cycle to any noticable amount. You may even benefit torque wise(socially too) from going that extra foot.
I haven't seen any super tuned sidehack outfits on the streets in my lifetime (72 years).
wayne41
Posted 12/1/2004 5:40 PM (#5494 - in reply to #5488)

New User

putting a two into one system on my road king, that helps with a little more lowend power and hopefully a little quieter for the passenger.

Posted 12/1/2004 6:55 PM (#5497 - in reply to #5488)

Exhaust and engine mechanical noise can be a real issue for the passenger, especially at high speeds on an extended tour. While the rider is above most of the noise, the passenger gets a full measure near head level. After ten hours or so of passengering it can be a bit much unless the rig is very quiet or the passenger's hearing is well protected by a full face helmet and earplugs.

I won't take my dogs on long camping trips with my present rig (77 BMW with moderatly loud pipes and very loud intake roar) for fear they'll go deaf. After they're older, and deaf anyway, it will be a different matter.

Jim
retro-rig
Posted 12/4/2004 9:40 AM (#5519 - in reply to #5488)

Try sitting down next to your bike in about the same location as a passenger would be and have your riding partner open the throttle. If you feel the volume and note is tolerable then ask you partner to do the same. If she or he agrees that its not a issue the pipes you've currently have should be OK. Its not scientific but a static test can provide some input prior to doing a live test on the bike.

As for exhaust gases. Again you're not in an automobile, while the exhaust gases should be routed as far from the passenger as practical a stock exhaust whic brings the exiting gases to the back of the rear tire should be reasonably safe for the passenger unless you've a fully enclosed car then you by all means ensure the exhaust goes as far back as practical/possible.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software