Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Agood friend will get you out of jail, a best friend will be sitting along side you saying, " that was totally awesome "
- (Added by: ccridr)

HARLEY BANK ANGLE SENSOR
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

roadglider
Posted 1/14/2015 9:32 AM (#82150)
Subject: HARLEY BANK ANGLE SENSOR

Can anyone elaborate on the BAS Harley suggests replacing or re-programming when a sidecar is installed? Why is it needed? The manual doesn't explain it well. I don't think my bike will go NEAR most of the lean angles I can do w/o the sidecar on, so why is a new one needed with the car? What will happen if I don't buy / install this unit? Thanks in advance for any info.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Peter Pan
Posted 1/14/2015 11:21 AM (#82152 - in reply to #82150)
Subject: Re: HARLEY BANK ANGLE SENSOR

Expert

Try to bypass it. The centrifugal forces inducted to the angle sensor on a rig are the equivilant of a crash or tip over situation on a solo bike.
As always, what isn't on it cannot cause trouble!
2 Cent from a person who works now 30 years in industrial automation, but is an enemy of too many Mickey Mouse farkles on modern bikes. I love PLC's as long they are reliable and on site easily reprogramable with on board tools, but in most occasions when the product and life cycles are too short or the safety farkles turn into a danger factor, then it is better to get rid of them ASAP. In those cases I replace them by a tough MiniPLC that I work with frecuently and make the program of my own.
Just a thought.
Sven

Edited by Peter Pan 1/14/2015 11:23 AM
dawg gone
Posted 1/14/2015 11:41 AM (#82153 - in reply to #82150)
Subject: RE: HARLEY BANK ANGLE SENSOR

Regular

'07 Eglide&tle The only time I have set off the bas is in a vary hard rt turn (maybe showing off) if you ride moderatly it wont be a problem. all you have to do is turn off the ignition and back on and ready to go.
timo482
Posted 1/14/2015 10:13 PM (#82159 - in reply to #82153)

Elite Veteran

the modification makes it so the bike won't shut off its its right side up with a sidecar.

without a sidecar the bike will shut off if its less than 45 deg from the ground - give or take. for instance falling over not moving will shut it off - good idea really

its "possible" with the sidecar to shut the bike off in a hard turn - if you are turning that hard to miss a truck - and the engine shuts off it could get you run over.

and that is why they want it installed.

harley trikes are set up permanently like the sidecar bikes were.

its important to note - that some years - its just a setting, some years a gizmo added on and activated. it takes 5 mins, they charge a few $ to activate it - its no big deal.

unless you don't do it - and need to miss a truck i guess.

to
roadglider
Posted 1/15/2015 8:09 AM (#82165 - in reply to #82150)
Subject: Re: HARLEY BANK ANGLE SENSOR

Now I inderstand. Thanks. I will inquire at my HD dealer.
jandrews@papadocs.co
Posted 1/17/2015 8:36 PM (#82225 - in reply to #82150)

if you put a side car on a 14 harley when you go 3/4 the way around a tight circle like a round a bout the bike will shut off. its some thing like a bank angle sensor and knows the bike stayed upright too long. it took a while to figure out since harley doesn't want side cars on 14 or newer bikes. we had to in stall the part that's now on trikes to compensate for not leaning in the turn. it was more confusing than my post.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software