Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Do illiterate people get the full effect of Alphabet Soup?
- (Added by: DAVE)

Traveling US Route 60
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 12/5/2004 6:31 PM (#5534)
Subject: Traveling US Route 60

We are planning to travel the entire length of US 60 from Virginia Beach to near the CA line in AZ in the spring (April/May). Would like any comments/advice from those of you who know any portions of the highway... things like "watch out for...", "don't go there", "detour around...", etc. We will probably by-pass most of the cities that have beltways or interstates around or thru them.
Thanks,
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Fly
Posted 12/5/2004 8:07 PM (#5536 - in reply to #5534)
Subject: RE: Traveling US Route 60

Extreme Veteran

us60 from I-64 at sam black church in w.by-god to charleston is a scenic ride but don't plan on making any time. it is a twisty mountainous 2 lane. sounds like a fun trip. good luck.
fly
herwing
Posted 12/6/2004 5:02 AM (#5543 - in reply to #5534)

Veteran

Sounds like a great trip - - how much time are you planning for doing it? We went from Fairfield, VA to the coast in California in 2002, we didn't do all interstates, but we did a lot of them and it took us 25 days out and back. We went to a bunch of National Parks, but only stayed in the same place for more than one night once in California. We lost a day there because one of our friends had bike trouble.
It didn't sound like Fly cared too much for WV, but doing Rt. 60 from Sam Black Church beats doing the turnpike and paying for the privilege of riding with all of those 18 wheelers, at least for me! If you're like me and like waterfalls, you should see a couple of those before you get to Charleston. He's right it's a twisty ride, but it's a pretty one!

Posted 12/6/2004 5:33 AM (#5544 - in reply to #5543)

We're planning on at least a month. We won't follow a rigid schedule because we like to stop and see things along the way. We are definitely planning on taking the scenic route in WV. Went that way a few years ago and it was beautiful.
Fly
Posted 12/6/2004 6:31 AM (#5545 - in reply to #5534)

Extreme Veteran

anyone who has been to the hack'd invite or redeye's chili party or captain's or the lonesome dove knows i like w.by-god.
fly
sebjones
Posted 12/6/2004 1:44 PM (#5550 - in reply to #5534)

Regular

West of Socorro N.Mex. 60 gets pretty lonely. As memory serves gas was not available in every little town that is marked on the map. Toward the Az. border you pass the huge radio telescopes out in the middle of nowhere and there used to be a tour of them. But the last tour was at 4pm.
From Showlow to Globe is Salt River Canyon. It's double nifty. West of Globe to Phoenix it's strip malls and used car dealerships. If you come into Cal. via the 10, just past Chiriaco Summit (George Patton Museum) there is the turn off (backdoor) for Joshua Tree National Monument, one of the most picturesque parts of the desert, and nice campgrounds. Look for the trunoff it's esay to run by. Enjoy the trip.
Sebjones

Posted 12/6/2004 2:37 PM (#5551 - in reply to #5545)

I like it too, fly. In fact I was born in southern WV and like to ride there when we can.

Posted 12/6/2004 2:40 PM (#5552 - in reply to #5550)

Thanks, Sam. That's really good info. We had planned to turn north at the state line and go to Flagstaff, but now it looks like we'll just have to keep going to see the desert. (Who knows where this trip will end!!!)
herwing
Posted 12/6/2004 4:31 PM (#5553 - in reply to #5545)

Veteran

Hi Fly,

That was just a poke in the ribs about what you call w.by-god. My husband was born there and has family there. I love it, too, but making WV jokes around here is common .

Connie
Fly
Posted 12/6/2004 5:01 PM (#5554 - in reply to #5534)

Extreme Veteran

connie ....yor husband is from w.v. are you also his sister?
fly
herwing
Posted 12/6/2004 5:09 PM (#5555 - in reply to #5554)

Veteran

H-ll, No! I'm Virginia born and bred, Virginian all the way through to my soul! I'm not his sister, I'm his boss! (Don't tell him that - it's hard to get him to take orders when he knows that I'm giving them).

Connie
sebjones
Posted 12/8/2004 12:13 PM (#5574 - in reply to #5534)

Regular

For your return trip and if it were me and I had the time I'd do both. Joshua Tree and Flagstaff.
If you are going home via Flagstaff, you could do Joshua Tree return to the border on 62 and then 72 to Prescott, Jerome, Sedona, Oak Creek Canyon, Flagstaff (add Grand Canyon) and you have seen the best there is to see in the whole area. I have done it many times and will do it again. Riders coming from Northern Europe love this loop because they have never seen anything like it. Enjoy.
Sam

Posted 12/8/2004 4:19 PM (#5575 - in reply to #5534)

Thanks, Sam. That's really good info and we will try to do it. Yes, we're planning to return via Flagstaff. In fact will probably spend a couple of nights there and see the Grand Canyon. Then fdrom there we will just "follow our noses", or better yet, follow the suggestions that we get from our friends here on the site. Thanks again.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software