Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Sidecar FAQ -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ural sidecars popularity. Were's all the Ural bikes?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Sidecar FAQMessage format

Toyman
Posted 2/12/2015 11:02 PM (#82796)
Subject: Ural sidecars popularity. Were's all the Ural bikes?

I'm fairly new to this forum but could not help but notice the number of posts from Ural sidecar owners.

Many of these are on bikes other than a Ural.

I'm curious if most of these were purchased originally with or without the Ural bike?

If most of them originally came with a Ural bike what became of all these bikes?

One explanation would come to mind that the bikes wore out in time but the sidecars were very durable & lived to be installed on another bike.

Any other explanation?

If they are that good of a sidecar maybe the Toyman should get one!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Claus
Posted 2/13/2015 5:06 AM (#82799 - in reply to #82796)
Subject: Re: Ural sidecars popularity. Were's all the Ural bikes?

Well, honestly speaking most of the bikes went into the secondary raw materials cycle "
And you´re right: The Ural sidecar is durable and can be set up with other wheels and brakes very easy.
Hack'n
Posted 2/13/2015 1:42 PM (#82804 - in reply to #82796)

We were URAL dealers (Sidecar only) from 1995 until they quit selling us sidecars only a few years back.
Of the hundreds we installed, in all that time only two were attached to URAL motorcycles.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars, ret'd.
Toyman
Posted 2/14/2015 9:27 AM (#82818 - in reply to #82804)

Hack'n - 2/13/2015 12:42 PM

We were URAL dealers (Sidecar only) from 1995 until they quit selling us sidecars only a few years back.
Of the hundreds we installed, in all that time only two were attached to URAL motorcycles.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars, ret'd.

Thanks Lonnie, your reply has a very good explanation to this question. They apparently build a pretty decent sidecar at an affordable price. The availability has gone south ....................or is it they stayed east & west.
Donmystic1
Posted 2/14/2015 2:00 PM (#82824 - in reply to #82818)

There is a Ural dealer in Boxboro, Mass.
Wolfhound
Posted 2/15/2015 6:11 PM (#82839 - in reply to #82796)

One it the Atlanta area too but I have only seen 3 in the past 4 years.
RichardMc4
Posted 2/15/2015 6:37 PM (#82841 - in reply to #82796)

I live in a town of less than 3000 and we have 3.
Wolfhound
Posted 2/15/2015 8:13 PM (#82843 - in reply to #82796)

We see very few hacks of any type in the NGA mountains & foothills. See more trikes than hacks. I also have a Buddy 170i with a TowPac out rigger too.
Toyman
Posted 2/15/2015 10:17 PM (#82847 - in reply to #82796)
Subject: RE: Ural sidecars popularity. Were's all the Ural bikes?

I live nearby a city of 400k so I see quite a few variations of 2-3 & 4 wheeled fun. Myself being a big boy toy collector am always captivated by something a little bit different. Side car bikes being one of them. You can only look at so many cookie cutter metric and American bikes before it becomes boring. Variations of trikes have taken over the three wheeled market so they are common place now but most cannot carry three. Nor do most capture the nostalgic value of a well coupled hack nor it's versatility. I don't foresee sidecar ownership returning to it's past popularity but I do believe there will be always be those like myself that will find a need for one in the stable.
Wolfhound
Posted 2/16/2015 5:19 AM (#82850 - in reply to #82796)

Toyman, well said.
Reardan Tom
Posted 2/16/2015 10:55 AM (#82854 - in reply to #82796)

Good points Toyman. One other thought that I've maintained for a long time now is that a motorcycle with a sidecar is still 100% motorcycle. A trike is half motorcycle, half automobile...
jaydmc
Posted 2/16/2015 11:19 AM (#82857 - in reply to #82796)

Before we started making our own sidecars we were the Ural sidecar importer, even Ural dealers had to buy their sidecars from us. For several years before Urals started to get more reliable we also would take Ural sidecars off of the dead Urals and attach them to different bikes. We make kits for many different bike for the Ural sidecar but unless the sidecar was built to our specification with an adjustable lower rear mount welding is required on the sidecar frame.
The supply of Ural sidecars never was all that great more then likely due to cash flow issue with Ural, their quality was not always the best so we started making our own sidecars which some of our sidecars by the time you add mounts they are less money then the Ural sidecar. Our M72B starts at only $3995 and includes bike specific mounts.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793

Edited by jaydmc 2/16/2015 11:31 AM
Wolfhound
Posted 2/16/2015 11:24 AM (#82858 - in reply to #82796)

A trike like mine, 4 wheels in all, is all fun.
claude #3563
Posted 2/23/2015 1:50 AM (#82995 - in reply to #82796)

The Ural ,Dnepr and Chang Jaing sidecars are all decent sidecars and adaptable with some effort to a wide variety of bikes. We have mounted many of them to everything from Harleys to BMW adventure bikes. Gotta say that a Lowered Ural with a little work does look really nice on a cruiser type bike. Older ones can have some wheel issues but they is something that can be addressed. Mounts should be changed out. We do the mountig for each specific bike in house and Jay offers a Kit as he said.
claude #3563
Posted 2/23/2015 3:13 AM (#82997 - in reply to #82847)

Toyman - 2/15/2015 10:17 PM

I live nearby a city of 400k so I see quite a few variations of 2-3 & 4 wheeled fun. Myself being a big boy toy collector am always captivated by something a little bit different. Side car bikes being one of them. You can only look at so many cookie cutter metric and American bikes before it becomes boring. Variations of trikes have taken over the three wheeled market so they are common place now but most cannot carry three. Nor do most capture the nostalgic value of a well coupled hack nor it's versatility. I don't foresee sidecar ownership returning to it's past popularity but I do believe there will be always be those like myself that will find a need for one in the stable.

We do trikes but mostly sidecars. The sidecar market seems to be growning .

Anyhow.....

Trike: One way street...once a trike always a trike
Sidecar: Can be put on another bike.....can be removed and bike returned to solo in many cases

Trike: No additional comfort for passenger
Sidecar: much more comfort for passenger and in certain caes passenger can still ride on back of bike

Trike: No gain in storage
Sidecar: tons more storage

Trike: 2 person
Sidecar: 3 or more person

Trike: More expensive
Sidecar: Obviously more bang for the buck all around!!!

Trike and sidecar: More stability than solo.

Could go on more but these are the main points.

longrider
Posted 3/7/2015 6:12 PM (#83250 - in reply to #82796)

I did look at the Ural rigs the 2014 models were just getting out but I found my Harley set up at same time used 2005 road glide with a Harley side car a 2005 also I think that is one of the last years Harley made them
I agree with the more storage and room for three and dog
Hack'n
Posted 3/7/2015 7:27 PM (#83252 - in reply to #82796)

I think 2010 was the last production year. They just sold out stock after that.

The Motor Company went trike. That is where the market is now with the baby boomers and the girls.

Lonnie
barnone
Posted 3/15/2015 11:19 AM (#83385 - in reply to #82796)

My first Ural was a 2012 Yamal.
Sold it because I wanted EFI and rear disk brakes and bought a 2015 cT. So far so good.
My other hack is a 2013 Z50 clone.

Edited by barnone 3/15/2015 11:27 AM

(0302151006_50.jpg)

(0914141432-00.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0302151006_50.jpg (224KB - 5 downloads)
Attachments 0914141432-00.jpg (560KB - 2 downloads)
plenkway
Posted 5/12/2015 8:30 PM (#84355 - in reply to #82796)

I agree - always tell people that with a sidecar I still have a motorcycle. A trike is more geriatric than a sidecar.
Snakeoil
Posted 5/19/2015 10:03 AM (#84444 - in reply to #82796)

I called the Ural dealer in MA when I was pondering the options I had to buy/build a rig. I asked what a Ural sidecar would cost and they said that Ural will not sell a sidecar separately. You have to buy it as an accumulation of the various parts and we all know how the final cost adds up when you do that.

A gent on another forum said he grew up in Russian and his uncle bought a new Ural in 1968. He said they had up to 9 people on it at one time. It was a utility vehicle for his uncle's farm and hauled huge loads of grain/feed in sacks, animals, etc. He said that the rig is still going strong. It's had about 10 engines since it was new, but the chassis and the car have never had a single failure.

regards,
Rob
VLAD
Posted 5/20/2015 1:51 PM (#84461 - in reply to #84444)

My uncle bought K650 - it is Dnepr not Ural. I did not say "the car have never had a single failure". It had some repairs done to it. And I said "had up to 9 people(on it at one time)." not one time but regularly. Uncle -driver had youngest son on the tank. My father on rear seat. My mom and aunt in sidecar(they use to be a lot thinner at that time) with 1 kid each. One on sidecar fender and one on spare tire on the back.

Edited by VLAD 5/20/2015 2:05 PM
Gummiente
Posted 5/24/2015 8:02 PM (#84504 - in reply to #82796)

Claude, your reply and sidecar vs trike comments is very similar to the what I wrote for CSOC's FAQ page and on a thread in the CURD forum...

From CSOC...

"There are pros and cons to both styles of 3-wheeled adventure, but it all comes down to a matter of personal preference. Sidecars are and always will be my choice, but that is based on my needs and my experience which may not be shared by everyone else.

There is only one common point between sidecars and trikes and that point is the reason why people opt for them in the first place - stability. The current crop of seasoned riders (aka the Baby Boomer demographic) are getting aged to the point where holding up a big touring bike or cruiser is getting hard on the body; a sidecar or trike removes this issue and allows one to extend their riding adventures for several more years.

But beyond this point of stability, the different reasons and dynamics of choosing sidecars vs trikes begins. Trikes are the more popular option these days because they are closer in form to a two wheeler and, to some, less damaging to the ego when they make the conversion. Having Piney from SOA roaming around in a Harley Tri-Glide has done wonders to the "image" of the trike, but sidecars are still perceived to be the option of doddering old fools and are plagued by perceived and inaccurate issues of bad handling and sudden chair flights.

It has been my experience that this wrongful image of sidecars being hazardous is due in no small part to the results of many DIY back yard mechanics and bike shops who don't know e when it comes to the proper installation and alignment thereof, as well as a complete lack of formal training provided to ease the rookie hack owner into the new skill sets required for safe and competent operation.

Working at Old Vintage Cranks has been a real eye opener on this, I've lost count of how many poorly executed and flagrantly dangerous rigs that have crabbed into the shop for me to correct their numerous handling issues. In most cases it has required a complete re-installation and alignment to set up the rig properly, but you should see the faces of the owners the first time they take it for a drive after it has been reworked.

That being said, oVc has recently become authourised installers for trike conversions. As much as we love sidecars, a simple search of facilities willing to install them in Ontario is very revealing when compared to the amount of trike conversion shops in existence.

Trikes are simply way more popular. Trikes benefit from their complexity, from a shop owner's point of view, in that very few DIY types are willing to take on a conversion project on their own. A basic conversion for a large cruiser or touring bike can run in the $10k-$13k range installed and taxes in, while a basic sidecar install can be had for $6k-$9k.

Obviously, people are more willing to fork over the extra cash required for a trike and to let a professional do the job, so we've had to broaden our vision in order to snag some of that cash flow."

From CURD...

"Trikes
Pros
- Large aftermarket support for accessories
- Good brakes that allow for quick stops
- Usually more narrow that a sidecar
- Less weight than a sidecar
- More aerodynamic than a sidecar
- Better fuel economy than a sidecar
- Equal handling characteristics in both left or right turns
- Usually easier to adapt to than sidecars
- Will not tip over at stoplight
- Quick, easy u-turns
- Long lasting car tires on rear
- Suspension is designed to handle cornering, acceleration and impact (potholes) forces

Cons
- Driver must train themselves to use rear brakes more to avoid overloading front brake
- Once converted to a trike, it cannot be reverted back to a 2-wheeler without great expense
- Most insurance companies will not insure a trike if done as DIY project
- Drastic course changes needed around unexpected obstacles on road (potholes, road kill, etc)
- Conversions only available for popular, late model bikes
- Expensive
- Driver must remember BOTH sides are wider than a two wheeler and not visible in mirrors
- Limited cargo space
- Room for only one passenger
- Same passenger comfort level as a two wheeler
- Warranty may be voided if converted to trike
- Difficult to drive in snow (front end easily loses grip)
- Potential to flip over in left AND right corners (think of 3-wheel ATV's and why they were outlawed)

Sidecars
Pros
- Driver can use front and rear brakes in the same familiar manner as two wheelers
- Sidecars and mount system can easily be removed for resale and bike can resume as two wheeler
- Some insurance companies offer safety discount for sidecar rigs, even if done as a DIY project
- Less drastic course changes needed to pass over road obstacles (driver need only position rig so neither bike wheels or sidecar wheel will contact)
- Sidecars can be adapted to almost any bike
- Cheaper than a trike conversion
- Lots of cargo space
- Plenty of room for passenger
- Passenger can be carried on bike and in sidecar
- Safer to operate than a trike on cold or snow covered roads
- Will not tip over at stoplight
- Quick, easy u-turns

Cons
- Limited aftermarket support
- Wider than a trike (some applications are wider than a small car)
- Heavier than a trike and requires permanent ballast weight
- Not as aerodynamic as a trike
- Fuel economy generally worse than a trike
- Right hand corners require more due care and diligence than left hand corners
- Warranty may be voided if sidecar installed
- Reduced tire life on drive wheel (although some bikes can use car tire to negate this)
- Extreme cornering, overloading and pothole impact can affect alignment"

Edited by Gummiente 5/24/2015 8:07 PM
claude #3563
Posted 5/25/2015 11:46 AM (#84520 - in reply to #84504)

Hello Mike. Lots of variables to consider. Sidecar outfits do vary a lot ... A Ural compared to a large Hannigan GTL on a Wing are quite different in many ways. I just recently did an article on this same trike/sidecar topic.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software