Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The best way to avoid a crash is to not be there when it happens
- (Added by: SidecarMike)

sidecar brake needs
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Ursa da Grizz
Posted 12/7/2004 1:23 PM (#5558)
Subject: sidecar brake needs

I am fitting a Duna (125 lb. or so) hack to a Moto Guzzi Breva. The bike is a 400 lb. standard and has one 320mm Brembo disk on the front and a single 260mm disk on the rear. I am trying to decide what if any additions, like an additional front disk would be advisable. I am having a leading link fork built for it and now would be the time to provide the mounting points and hardware for a second disk. It would also mean changing the front wheel out for one that could accept twin rotors. The stock Breva wheel is only set up for one disk. There are no provisions on the sidecar for brakes but due to its light weight it doesn't seem to be an issue. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Thom Irwin

Edited by Ursa da Grizz 12/7/2004 2:05 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 12/7/2004 2:49 PM (#5560 - in reply to #5558)
Subject: RE: sidecar brake needs

Expert

I'm a firm believer in triple disc brakes on the bike if it is economically feasable to do so. Since you are still able to opt for dual discs on the front end, I say go for it.
With a single car I don't care for linked sidecar brakes as a sidecar's stopping ability is so nebulous due to differences in loading, direction of travel, road surfaces, wheel size, tire treads and the brake units themselves.
Parallel brake levers are better, but still require a certain amount of subjective judgement for efficient use, which isn't always spot on either.
Unless it is a large cumbersome rig, I prefer to depend on the bike brakes and a little countersteering if needed for stopping.
I've had a few times when an emergency stop was necessary and had no trouble stopping with the bike brakes alone and in a straight line with just 2 disc brakes.
With a large doublewide and a trailer, I would most likely start experimenting with linked brakes again.
A little PS here:
You will probably have to rethink your front master cylinder since the current one is designed for a single slave cylinder. It won't have the reserve capacity to service two wheel cylinders unless the units used require less fluid than the OEM ones.

Edited by Hack'n 12/7/2004 2:55 PM
claude #3563
Posted 12/7/2004 4:14 PM (#5562 - in reply to #5558)
Subject: RE: sidecar brake needs

Expert

I do agree with Lonnie (Hack'n) as usual. One thought though would be to go ahead and try it with the front brakes you have and the stock front forks. The rig you are speaking of is not a heavy rig with a bike of 400 pounds and a sidecar of less than one fifty. More brakes up front are always a good thing but I would not let it control you getting the thing on the road. If after some riding , you feel the need for an additional disc then go for it.
Now..to maybe contradict all that I just said...LOL.
You are correct...IF you are doing a leading link for sure..now..anyhow..swapping the wheel for a different one would be wise. Hopefully you can find a front wheel, calipers, rotors and front master cylinder as an assembly. That way all would interact well and you could design the link front end around the components at hand.
Heck,you could be on the road with the stock front end while still gathering parts for the leading link and upgraded brake assembly. Once all was done you could convert it all over in an afternoon.
Just thinking out loud
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software