Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: There are three kinds of men The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence. - Will Rogers
- (Added by: Administrator)

Training Wheel
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

herwing
Posted 12/9/2004 1:21 AM (#5578)
Subject: Training Wheel

Veteran

Okay, I have openly admitted that I didn't start driving a hack because I was in love with them, but rather because I had dropped my bike and hurt my leg and didn't want to ride two wheels any more. But that was eight years ago and I still have people who ask me when I'm going to get rid of my training wheel. Well, maybe I can't ride two wheels the way they can, but I'm pretty sure that they don't have the skills to ride three wheels like I do, either. So, what I'm curious to know is if the rest of you sidehackers get the same sort of smart *ss remarks from two wheel riders and if so, how do you handle it?

Connie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 12/9/2004 1:24 PM (#5585 - in reply to #5578)
Subject: RE: Training Wheel

Expert

Hi Connie,
I've only had a couple of cute remarks from the gallery when I was with a large group of two wheelers. Most are intrigued by the outfits and have an anecdote about "When I and old ---- took his Uncles old Indian/Harley and etc.". Most also remember how it shimmied and shook while pulling one way or the other and wonder how you can enjoy riding such a beast. A few times I have let a skeptic take a short ride and they come back with a different view of what it takes to handle three wheels. Not as easy as they had at first thought.
I get more crap from people who "Hate Harleys because they leak oil all over the place, are too damn loud and the parts rattle off of them all the time". In other words, the grossly uninformed. And really girl, do we give a s--- what they think anyway?
Bandit Bill
Posted 12/9/2004 4:40 PM (#5586 - in reply to #5578)

I hardly fall within the small demographic range of sidecar owners.. mid 30's, single, 99% of the time an empty sidecar.

Bottom line, i've been riding for 16 years, 4 of that with a sidecar in one and two year stretches interspersed throughout the years of experience. Those that don't know me from Adam, automatically assume i have the pre-requisite wife and 2.54 kids to lug around. I more often than not get a blank stare when i inform them casually that it's not for them, it's for me - because there is only me! There is a total disconnect in reasoning with them it seems, on why i'd want such a sluggardly old appliance as a sidecar rig for my personal form of recreational transportation. I've tried explaining it to them, they nod their heads, but i'm sure they just don't get it when i say that i prefer the eccentricities of a sidecar on a performance capable motorcycle, sidecar empty, or loaded. I can't say i get a lot of smart ass comments - a few thousand yard stares perhaps, as to my reasoning for a sidecar, but no smart ass comments. People are usually too fascinated with the rig itself, to offer much negative comment - rigs are fairly rare in this area to be seen. The #1 comment i've been asked, is 'how does it handle?' I've been asked that question so many times i've got a standard response for it, ready to explain for them.

Those that are close to me, know that i did have a serious wreck a few years back with the Bandit, and for those, i explain that the bike healed, my body healed, but my self-confidence in my own solo motorcycle skill-set (self-confidence and skill-set were never really that strong to begin with) died in the emergency room. I was the most miserable SOB going, in the riding season after the accident, until i got a sidecar rig back on the road. Wanting to ride as i did before the accident, yet unable to get past the fear, and flashbacks of the accident. Those who know me, usually still want to know why a sidecar, but they do know that hanging up the helmet was NOT an option that i'd consider as an alternative to solo riding. They know a rig is simply an extension to my somewhat oddball personality. Honestly though, at this time of my riding career i enjoy a sidecar rig so more than solo riding, and those that know me, usually understand that well enough on their own by seeing my passion for it, without the need to question my motivation too much.

Bottom line, i've owned other rigs in the past, and this rig in the present, strictly for my own reasons and personal pleasure, and it matters to me not what anyone else thinks of it. I'm the one riding it, they aren't. If they like it and want more information about my rig, and sidecars in general, i'll jaw their ear off.. if they choose to get rude/sarcastic/assinine with the comments (i really can't recollect that it's happened yet) have at it, but i won't be a part of your conversation - because that is when the conversation ends and i hit the road, to continue enjoying my rig

The closest i've come to a person who questioned my sanity about a sidecar, is a friend who rides a street motard. We met soon after i had my rig together, and i led him on a set of semi-twisties.. it totally blew away his conception of what a rig is and can be, lets put it that way

Edited by Bandit Bill 12/9/2004 4:52 PM
sidecarLenny
Posted 12/9/2004 4:42 PM (#5587 - in reply to #5578)

I have also had my share of comments about my rig from two wheelers.
Like Hack'n I offer them to take my hack home while I 'll take their
solo ride home and most back off immediately.
But the best way to make them drop a load in their pants and shut up is to have them drive your hack in a lot and make a clockwise circle and make the circle smaller and pick up some speed at the same time.
They will fly the chair and change their minds(and underwear too).
Did that once to someone with my old guzzi/562velorex and thought the SOB was gonna have a heart attack. He looked like a real jackass in front of all his buddies too!!!!
Driving a sidecar takes skill and patience. It's our choice and in the end its all about the right to choose.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software