Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Time you enjoyed wasting was not time wasted
- (Added by: Wngnut)

4-1 Left side exhaust
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Posted 12/9/2004 10:00 PM (#5595)
Subject: 4-1 Left side exhaust

I am building another rig after a 5 yr absence. Currently leaning (sorry) toward a Guzzi, UJM shaftie or (last choice) 1200 or 1500 Wing for the Tug.

Q: Has anyone ever fabbed or commissioned a custom 4-1 header (for an inline 4 cyl) or 2-1 for a twin that collects and exits on the LEFT side of the rig? I'd like to move all exhaust plumbing to the drivers Left.
I'm seeking to free up space for a RS saddle bag and remove the heat source for any s/c passenger.

My last rig, '80 SUZ GS 1000-G w/ elec lean, built by Vern Goodwin, had the stock 4-2 set-up. It always bugged me to have the right side pipes and muffler...

TIA

sev
Top of the page Bottom of the page
normpottruff
Posted 12/9/2004 11:19 PM (#5597 - in reply to #5595)
Subject: RE: 4-1 Left side exhaust

Good Day,
I've built a couple of left side 4 - 1 exhausts. I just built one last week as a matter of fact. My approach on both occasions was to start with a 4 - 1 right side system and cut it up to get all the curves, etc. that I needed. Then I'd mig tack the pieces together on the bike and take them off to finish weld them. It's a good idea to have some spare straight pieces of exhaust tubing from another source handy so you can splice things together where necesasary because in the course of cutting up the old system and welding it back together in a new configuration you are bound to lose a bit of length. On the first system that I built, I added up the cost of buying the curves and pieces and muffler that I'd need and discovered that it was cheaper to just order a new MAC system and cut it up. On the second system a friend of mine donated a used 4 - 1 system he had lying around the garage and I cut that up.
Regards,
Norm
normpottruff
Posted 12/9/2004 11:30 PM (#5598 - in reply to #5595)

Good Day again,
P.S. If you go to the Album "Norm's Beasts" in the Albums section and look at the first picture you will see the first left side system I built. If you thought it might be helpful, I could take a picture of the one I just finished and post that too. The second system I built with a big washer on a lever about an inch inside the end of the pipe with the notion that once I put it on the road I should be able to adjust my back pressure by turning the lever to get a good balance of low and high speed performance. I thought I'd had a great idea until someone mentioned that Hooker has been building something like that for years. Everytime I get a good idea it turns out someone else thought of it first.
Regards,
Norm

Posted 12/10/2004 12:10 AM (#5599 - in reply to #5598)

" ...be able to adjust my back pressure...to get a good balance of low and high speed performance. I thought I'd had a great idea until someone mentioned that Hooker has been building something like that for years. Everytime I get a good idea it turns out someone else thought of it first.

LOL Thanks for the responses, sir. i'm off to your album next.

peace

sev
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software