Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: THESE ARE THE GOOD OLD DAY'S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
- (Added by: JOECAPY)

Ranger LifeCycle Sidecar
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 12/13/2004 4:38 PM (#5643)
Subject: Ranger LifeCycle Sidecar

Does anyone have any experience or info concerning these sidecars? They're apparently manufactured in South Africa by a British company.
http://www.rangerlifecycle.co.uk/products/products_index.htm

I've already got a Jialing JH125 (Chinese-made copy of Honda XL125/XLR125) which these sidecars are designed to fit as bolt-on accesories, no welding required. Sounds ideal -- and believe me it's hard to find anything for 125-sized bikes!

I'd like to use a utility model to haul cut firewood home to my house in the mountains, so there's no highway use intended for it. Anybody have any info to share on these sidecars -- or ideas about other similar-sized alternatives anybody else produces? Thanks all.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bandit Bill
Posted 12/13/2004 11:57 PM (#5651 - in reply to #5643)
Subject: RE: Ranger LifeCycle Sidecar

Regular

I've never seen one of these over on this side of the Pond.. but not surprising since their primary market is aimed towards rural, undeveloped infrastructure third-world nations, who either cannot afford anything more than a lightweight motorcycle, or in the case of government use, cannot make use of a vehicle any heavier due to a road system not any more sophisticated than a two track goat-trail.

Looking at the design though, I can't help but think that you could probably make one yourself, for perhaps a few hundred dollars, utilizing a motorcycle scrap yard, a reasonable supply of raw metal stock (ie. a metal supermarket), access to a welder, or to a machine shop at reasonable cost, and some creativity.. the motorcycle is lightweight, the sidecar design would also be lightweight, perhaps employing 3 connections to the motorcycle total. You could use velorex type collar and clamp type connections to the sidecar, available at http://www.dauntlessmotors.com .. or if willing to wait a bit and gather up parts over a period of time, keep an eye on Ebay for parts to come up at a lower cost.

The end result may not be as commercially 'pretty' at what the lifestyle rig is, but you are looking for utility, not pretty.

Just a thought to ponder..

Edited by Bandit Bill 12/14/2004 12:18 AM

Posted 12/14/2004 9:49 PM (#5657 - in reply to #5643)
Subject: RE: Ranger LifeCycle Sidecar

Thanks -- I may have to go that route if I can't find a ready-made one to buy. I wish some enterprising company (Jialing's US distributer in Miami: wouldn't that be a surprise) would import a container-load of the sidecars and retail them out to anyone with a 125-size bike who wants to buy one. It's a shame if there's not enough of a market in all North America for one container-load of small, lightweight sidecars.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software