Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The great thing about standards is that there are so many to choose from.
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

Alignment Adjustment ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

tinboatcapt
Posted 4/3/2015 7:38 PM (#83749)
Subject: Alignment Adjustment ?

Veteran

Some of you might have read that I am a new (to me) rig owner. I'm in Minneapolis and it is in Phoenix. So, I plan to ride it home.

The friend who has acted as broker and is storing it for me reported that on short rides at speed it pulls slightly to the right.
The thought of riding 1700 miles fighting the rig doesn't appeal to me.

I have some experience tuning up the lean-out and toe-in on much smaller and lighter rigs so I have to ask: Will it be possible to make tweeks while on the road to an '86 Wing/Champion set up?

Curious minds want to know.

Not that I have any objection to a slow, secondary route, multi day ride. I just would prefer it to be comfortable.
Jim

(goldwing-sidecar.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments goldwing-sidecar.jpg (396KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 4/4/2015 1:05 PM (#83759 - in reply to #83749)
Subject: Re: Alignment Adjustment ?

Expert

If you have a tilt control you can trim at speed. If not you need a bit more lean-out to maintain neutral steering at freeway speeds.
Lean-out should be adjusted and tested with expected tour loading in sidecar and on bike.

Lonnie
tinboatcapt
Posted 4/4/2015 1:55 PM (#83761 - in reply to #83759)

Veteran

Thanks! It would be nice if the thing has electric tilt.

The problem is: I don't know. I bought this in January and haven't even seen it yet. I'm heading down next week to ride it home so I'll know more then.
I've been dreaming of a rig since the '70's. So when I saw this one, I guess I just lost control and all good sense.
Perhaps I'll see you at the rally. I have preregistered.
Wish me luck.
jim
Hack'n
Posted 4/5/2015 2:25 PM (#83777 - in reply to #83749)

Expert

Take tools, just in case.

Lonnie
mrmustash-1
Posted 4/5/2015 11:14 PM (#83789 - in reply to #83749)
Subject: RE: Alignment Adjustment ?

In addition to taking tools, take a note pad to take notes, measurements and such. Record all settings before any work is performed. This way you will have a record of the starting point and will be able to start again from that point.

mrmustash-1
jaydmc
Posted 4/6/2015 11:57 AM (#83795 - in reply to #83749)

Expert

Here are basic alignment instructions. But in general to get it home, if it pulling to the right, lean it out, pulling to the left lean it a bit right by adjusting the upper struts. Your sidecar will not have electric lean control as it was never offered in this early body style.
Also, this could even have the old style mounts on the bottom which were known to fail, If the lower mounts attach with 5/8 inch bolts you are OK, if it has a single 5/16 bolt (1/2 inch wrench) these are the type that are known to have issues and should be replaced.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BASIC SIDECAR INSTRUCTIONS.doc (388KB - 7 downloads)
evilboweivel
Posted 4/7/2015 7:47 AM (#83805 - in reply to #83749)
Subject: RE: Alignment Adjustment ?

back in the mid 80's I was shown how to use a tarp strap/bungee cord from the left handle bar to the bike
adjust tension as needed to help with keeping the bike running straight on the freeway
couldn't afford a leading link front end and the other options weren't available back then
just remember it is used to help take some of the strain off NOT to carry all the load

by the time you get it home you will have a lot better idea of what you want to change on the bike
also if on a four lane and no one else around it is easier to ride in the left lane than the right due to the pitch of the road surface
good luck
Ron
tinboatcapt
Posted 4/7/2015 8:18 AM (#83806 - in reply to #83749)

Veteran

Thanks all!
Good advice Mrmustash-1. I have used a note pad with route directions as my 'analog GPS' for a long time now so I will have my notebook. Ijust need to take some baseline notes before I begin tweeking (if deemed needed). My ST1100 has a fairly sophisticated adjustable suspension system so I have developed a database of settings for it.

Jaydmc I will make note of the lower mounts. Thanks also for the link to the riding instructions. I have read these in the past but somehow lost the link. I'll read them again before I go.

Evilboweivel, I have used the bungie trick on a sailboat tiller, but have never tried it on the road. But then it is probably not as necessary (or wise) to try it on a bike as on a rig. 'chuckle'

Al Orme called me the other day to offer some tips on tuning and riding. Thanks to all for your help.
Jim
roadglider
Posted 4/10/2015 9:22 AM (#83844 - in reply to #83749)

For newer Harley owners, (mine is 08 with 2000 car) I just re-adjusted my rig. Original set up I had a fairly constant pull to the right. I had followd the HD manual that says to lean the bike in w/o rider assuming it will straighten up with rider in place- not. It had a constant pull to the right. So, in re-adjusting I put the toe-in at one inch from rear wheel to front and leaned the bike out just a pinch past verticle. It rides soo much better now. The manual is pretty accurate except for calling for lean in without the rider onboard. Hope that helps somebody else cuz adjusting is a pain!!
Hack'n
Posted 4/10/2015 3:34 PM (#83849 - in reply to #83749)

Expert

One degree of lean-out measured with a magnetic protractor seems to work best for most average sized pilots.
With 3/4" to 1" toe-in.

Lonnie
DRONE
Posted 4/12/2015 1:59 PM (#83873 - in reply to #83749)

Veteran

I'm looking forward to hearing about the ride home. Based on Post #3 above, he should be on the road from Arizona to Minnesota this week.
tinboatcapt
Posted 4/12/2015 2:13 PM (#83874 - in reply to #83749)

Veteran

Tuesday. Two days until I can catch the flight to Phoenix. I had planned on writing up a trip report. I figured it would be entertaining in one way or another.

I've made notes of all the helpful hints, should I need to make some changes.

I do have some history of 'on the fly' adjustments. My
Sport Touring bike has an aftermarket suspension and I've been known to adjust bounce, rebound, and preload during a trip.

I will probably start the trek northward about Thursday. I'm planning on a stop near Pueblo, CO if the weather and road conditions permit. Otherwise, I'll take old Rt 66 up through Dodge City, Lincoln, Sioux City.
Stay Tuned.
Jim
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software