Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Sow good services; sweet remembrances will grow them.>Madame de Stael <
- (Added by: RumpStun)

How I mounted my TLE to my Softail
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Fuzzybeard
Posted 5/9/2015 2:49 PM (#84293)
Subject: How I mounted my TLE to my Softail

This has come up more than once. So, since I don't get on very often, I thought I'd make a post to show how I accomplished my connection. That way it can be properly shared, discussed, ripped apart, condemned, etc.

To begin, this is a 99 FLSTC and a 93 TLE. I have no idea what process would be involved with any other setup. Honestly, I made all this up anyway! Let's dig in.....

The hardest part was coming up with a rear mounting point. What I came up with was a 3/8" steel plate that mounts to the passenger footpeg mounting point on top and the two exhaust hanger bolts on the bottom. To this I had a piece welded on to create a mount with a 2" stand-off.

For the front I found this bar at the local farm store

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/694902-double-hh-category-1-stabilizer-arm.html

I cut it into two lengths, did a thousand more measurements and came up with an upper and lower mount that I u-bolted to the frame. Since I don't trust anything I do, I got crazy and doubled up on the U-bolts on each bar. I then got to wondering about the u-bolts shifting up and down the frame during a high stress event and decided to tie them together with a couple of pieces of flat stock.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
dawg gone
Posted 5/11/2015 10:10 AM (#84322 - in reply to #84293)
Subject: RE: How I mounted my TLE to my Softail

Regular

nice looks stout enough, upper mount to lower mount subframe great stability.
How do the rear shocks hold up to the extra weight? I have a Spyder on my '07 and it is a bit softer than I would like,
prmurat1
Posted 5/12/2015 4:04 PM (#84342 - in reply to #84293)
Subject: RE: How I mounted my TLE to my Softail

Regular

Nice mounts!! I installed a Companion GT on my -89 Softail but I went the easy way with a DMC mounting kit... Changed the front wheel for a 16" (had a 21"), longer tubes and raked triple trees...

Edited by prmurat1 5/12/2015 4:10 PM
Fuzzybeard
Posted 5/12/2015 5:47 PM (#84351 - in reply to #84293)
Subject: Re: How I mounted my TLE to my Softail

Thanks guys! I went this route for a few reasons. Number one, I'm cheap. Because I had the rear mount made up at work (free) I only have like $40 into the mounts. Number two, I had a lot of people tell me I couldn't or shouldn't do it and I'm stubborn that way. Number three, I'm cheap.

I haven't actually noticed a difference in the rear suspension with this rig, maybe since the car doesn't have a suspension it is less noticeable.

I also added raked trees to my bike, but I'm thinking of taking them back off. They did make it slightly easier to steer but I also got more bump steer now than I like, again lack of suspension on car.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software