Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Trust everybody, but cut the cards."

2000 Ural Tourist Sidecar Alignment
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Snakeoil
Posted 5/12/2015 8:24 PM (#84354)
Subject: 2000 Ural Tourist Sidecar Alignment

Regular

I've finally gotten to the point that all the nitpicky stuff is done on the rig. So, today it was time to check rig alignment. I have to go read up on the process again and do a few web searches. But I thought I'd share what I found today and solicit comments.

First, it was a rough, cursory check. I used the technique in the Ural manual. My shop floor is level so I put a level across the bars and got about 1/2" of leanout according to the bars which equates to 1 degree per the manual. Did not bother to do the trig. I also put a machinist's protractor across the rear tire and measured 1 degree. This of course was with no rider weight on the bike.

Looking at the manual, it appears that the sidecar wheel should be plumb. I checked mine and that is not the case. The wheel leans out at the top, away from the bike, also about 1 degree.

Now, although I'm a total newbie with maybe 60 km under my belt on a rig, it does not seem to pull in either direction when going down the road. I also let go of the bars at about 40 mph and it went straight. I looked at the tires today and they seem to be fine, other than the one I put on the sidecar (was the spare) is a bit cupped. I assume that suggests too much toe in. The tire that was on the sidecar was just about bald, but worn evenly to the point of the tire being of square cross section now. I do wonder why that spare was cupped and it could be that is why it was move to the spare location.

I assume that if I bring in the sidecar leanout, it will also bring in the bike leanout. So, I'm wondering if the 1 degree is relative to the sidecar, in which case if the car and bike both lean out, then 1/2 degree on each would be correct.

Or, maybe because it goes down the road straight, I should leave well enough alone.

Going to sit down with the Sidecar handbook tonight, so might find my answer. But any comments are welcome and anxiously awaited.

regards,
Rob
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dawg gone
Posted 5/13/2015 6:57 PM (#84364 - in reply to #84354)
Subject: RE: 2000 Ural Tourist Sidecar Alignment

Regular

in tire wear post in general discussion forum Jay from DMC posted a link should give all you need on alignment.
Hack'n
Posted 5/13/2015 11:20 PM (#84370 - in reply to #84354)
Subject: Re: 2000 Ural Tourist Sidecar Alignment

Expert

If it runs true let it be.
The cupped tire was probably on the front and the cupping is usually due to an out of balance or out of round condition. Both common with the URAL wheel assemblies, as is runout.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software