Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Never subscribe to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence.
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

safer whole sale, and now RT
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

jaydmc
Posted 4/9/2018 10:49 AM (#96972 - in reply to #84379)
Subject: Re: safer whole sale, and now RT

Expert

Sounds like a lot of work and time for a sidecar that was suppose to fit your bike. Buying a sidecar from a reputable company that provides proper mounts for your bike you would not have had to do any of this work.
Also one issue I have with Cozy sidecars and in general most of the lower priced sidecars is the total lack of even an option for a brake. While they may be right that you may not need a brake but if a brake ever even once keeps you out of the emergency room it was cheap!
BTW, there is at least one Velorex dealer who's idea of proper mounts are exact copies of the mounts we make but to a much lower quality standard. We consider this to be steeling as we were not paid for the rights to copy our designs. For your Bonneville you would have received from us 4 mounts, one is a "universal" type frame clamp which we use for the upper rear as this is truly the best mount for this location and application. The other three are proper bike specific. They move the mounting points further apart then you would other wise be able to and put the lower mounts equal distance off of the ground making it easier to align. Also for the T-100 type Bonneville we make new from billet triple tree's to lower the steering effort with the sidecar. We have not developed these yet for the T-120 and the water cooled T-100 however we do make mounts for these bikes.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rudyr
Posted 4/9/2018 11:46 AM (#96973 - in reply to #84379)
Subject: RE: safer whole sale, and now RT

Veteran

You absolute right, what I did is not for but a few. I’m 75 and been working on bikes a longtime. You know where I’m coming from. Years ago we didn’t have people like you or many other s that had all the thing people need for bikes or sidecars an parts I’m personal glad you’ll Or in business. It just hard to brake old ways a lot is a labor of love we need to make do with we have and ride and have fun. thank you till my next build. An by the way bought one of the trees for a Triumph from you last year, just don’t need it on this project. But I already have plans for the next one.. Rudy
Cozy1
Posted 4/9/2018 12:39 PM (#96974 - in reply to #96965)

New User

That was very inventive. I don't think that anyone who is involved with Cozy sells the scooter models anymore. No criticism of the unit but a very limited market,
The mounts that come with them work for old Vespas and Lambrettas. I have seen some adapted to newer scooters but it makes me queasy unless it was done by someone that really knows what they are doing - Sounds like you do!
rudyr
Posted 4/9/2018 3:44 PM (#96975 - in reply to #84379)

Veteran

You know I did buy my Cozy from Vespas dealer, it may have been a littel to much for them?? When got it was 3 point connection, changed to 4 point connection. Got about 5000 miles so for, like the way takes wind and freeway. No windsheild yet, but got me a ride friend( dog). Cutting windshield down a lot( don’t like the rush in my face coming around the windsheild) and pulling seat out and put bigger arm rest.Rudy
jaydmc
Posted 4/17/2018 10:45 AM (#97056 - in reply to #84379)

Expert

I was just contacted by some one with a 2013 FLH that he was told the Inder sidecar he just purchased would "fit" his bike and that the "universal" mounts were the proper mounts for his bike. Of course we turned down the sale for mounts as this will never be a safe combination!
Safety must always come first! Life is to short to risk to save a few bucks on what is for most people a toy.
If any sidecar you are looking at does not have a brake, or at least have a brake as an option you should be asking your self why? Usually it is as it is cheap product from a company that is just looking to make sales at as low of a price point as they can and usually they have no idea how to make a brake work on a modern bike. This also holds true for any company that only offers a drum brake. Few modern bikes you can make a mechanical drum brake work well with. Usually the companies that have drum brakes are using the wheel off of a low end bike such as a Jawa in which case changes are it was never intended for use with a heavy bike.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
Cozy1
Posted 4/17/2018 1:39 PM (#97058 - in reply to #84379)

New User

It is very disconcerting to have a customer like the one Jay mentioned above. I get them as well. We all know that there is no such thing as a sidecar that "works with any bike". For example the sidecars that I know best are Cozy's since I have been selling them for 20 years. Many years ago I bought a small container of Inders and while they have a couple of good features but I had nothing but trouble with them. That was the last of my ventures outside the orbit of Cozy. My customers have little or no trouble with the Cozy's which is much better for them and for me. More importantly they have US based support and warranty qaccess. The key as Jay says is the proper match between sidecar and bike.

The Cozy is a great sidecar if....... it is used in the right application. I get some calls from customers looking for a sidecar for a full sized Harley, Indian etc. While I hate to lose a sale I'd rather do that than lose my reputation and sell someone a product that is not right for them and might be unsafe. All of us in the industry owe them that. In general I draw the line after a Harley Sportster, Triumph Bonneville etc. When I get a customer wanting a unit for a larger sidecar I pass them along to Jay at DMC. He sends me folks for whom the Cozy is a good fit. This way the customer is best served.
BTW Jay and I agree to disagree on the brake issue with a lighter sidecar
Kevin M
Cycle Sidecar
623-512-0377
claude #3563
Posted 4/24/2018 11:42 PM (#97154 - in reply to #96972)

Expert

We have mounted a few Cozy sidecars and as mentioned they are okay within their element. We do turn away a fair amount of 'business' if the combination is not felt to be safe in any way. Sidecar brakes? Yes, we do them and, yes, I could make a case for them that would make a newbie think they would die tomorrow if they did not have a sidecar brake but cannot force myself to go down that road. In many cases a sidecar brake can be inconsistant , especially in a panic situation. This has nothing to do with the mechanical operation of the brake but is related to the load on the sidecar wheel , the size of the sidecar tire and also the situation at hand. In a right hander the sidecar can be unloaded , so to speak, with minimal traction available. When that deer jumps out in front of you there is very little time to react. Through diligent practice we can form good reactions which can save our butts but if we have to react to the 'target' and then react again to what the brake did or did not do the overall reaction time can be a bad situation. Many sidecar manuafaturers offer brakes as an option , especially on the smaller sidecars. Hmmm....why an option if it is so important? We can plan our actions but not our reactions.Good reactions come from practice. The inconsitancy that can accompany a sidecar brake in many cases can be more of a negative than not having that brake at all. Some say they are non agressive riders and that is fine but it is a favor to themselves and their family to be able to make an agressive move if needed. It is a problem when any of us step out of our skill envelope but to throw in an item that is naturally inconsistant can potentially do more harm than good in a bad situation.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software