Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Lessons learned are for sissys.
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

safer whole sale, and now RT
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Al Olme
Posted 11/15/2016 7:37 PM (#91449 - in reply to #84379)
Subject: Re: safer whole sale, and now RT

Expert

When reading and considering the post from NCDave wherein he acquired a sidecar from Safer Wholesale and installed in on a 1600 Nomad, please take a moment to go back and look at post #90225. Dave I'm sorry but I can't just let folks even consider doing what you did.

Dave admitted that he had to do a lot of modifications to make his purchase work. That is to his credit. He also reminded folks that he bought a very cheap sidecar and that he is admittedly stubborn. Dave pointed out that the was told that his sidecar was a "one-off" design with heavier tubing than the standard wimpy Inder. He might have also reminded you that he was told that by the guy trying to sell him the sidecar, the same guy that said it would fit ANY motorcycle. Dave also mentioned that he couldn't use the universal mounts that came with the bike and in the end, he had to do some welding. He mentioned that by the time he is done he will have invested about $3,000 but he didn't remind folks that for that sort of money a person could find a nice used hack that was actually suited to a big big like his Nomad.

At the end of the day, no matter how much money he puts into it, Dave's Nomad/Safer rig will NEVER be safe. The car is WAY TOO LIGHT for the Nomad and if you put enough ballast into the car to make it weigh enough, the frame wouldn't take it. I don't believe that the sidecar frame will take the stress put on it by the Nomad in time.

Dave, we appreciate your enthusiasm and the fact that in four short months you have become a regular poster here. I encourage you to continue but please, anyone who reads this should know that what Dave did is a TERRIBLE IDEA. I know that I am not the ultimate authority on what makes a good sidecar rig but ask anyone who is in the business, any experienced sidecar rigger or even an experienced driver [aside from the guys at Safer] for their view on this and I'm confident that they would agree. The sidecars from Safer were designed to be used on very small bikes and even then, they were built for the bottom of the market in a third world country. If you are driving a 70cc scooter and never exceed 25mph, the Safer is the car for you.

At the end of the day, you should know that I'm not attacking Dave, I'm just fed up with what Safer is doing to our sport. Every sale that they make is adding another unhappy first time sidecarist to the world. Those folks might believe that all sidecars are as poorly constructed, difficult to mount and unsafe as the junk that Safer is pushing. If they do, we will have lost a potential sidecar friend. Of course, that's just my opinion, you'll hear others.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reardan Tom
Posted 11/16/2016 9:20 AM (#91452 - in reply to #84379)

Elite Veteran

Seems to me the best use for a Safer (what a misnomer!!) would be to mount it to a rusty old motorcycle or frame, fill it with potting soil and make yard art in a flower bed.
Hack'n
Posted 11/16/2016 10:25 AM (#91453 - in reply to #84379)

Expert

I think yard art needs a more classic Hack, Tom.

LoCo
NWSC Ret.

(Antique Hack at Marysville, WA Shop.jpg)

(New look at Boise, ID Shop.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Antique Hack at Marysville, WA Shop.jpg (66KB - 29 downloads)
Attachments New look at Boise, ID Shop.JPG (112KB - 5 downloads)
Reardan Tom
Posted 11/16/2016 10:47 AM (#91454 - in reply to #84379)

Elite Veteran

For some reason I can't see your photos and when I click the links I get a message saying the site isn't working. At any rate, I tried to buy a classic sidecar just for the purpose of yard art at the swap meet back in October. The owner was way too proud of it for my purposes...

(Swap Meet 008.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Swap Meet 008.JPG (2437KB - 3 downloads)
hdrghack
Posted 11/16/2016 12:14 PM (#91456 - in reply to #91454)

Expert

Tom,

What was he asking for the body?   looks like a servi-car frame in the front of the picture where was the swap meet at?

Al Olme
Posted 11/16/2016 1:00 PM (#91457 - in reply to #91456)

Expert

Chuck,

Am I right in thinking that's a type 1 HD body?
hdrghack
Posted 11/16/2016 2:10 PM (#91459 - in reply to #91457)

Expert

1936 to 1967 it also looks like the side was modified for a door,half the time the flooring is rotted in them

The frame in front is for the 3 wheeled servi-cars 

Al Olme
Posted 11/16/2016 3:41 PM (#91461 - in reply to #91459)

Expert

hdrghack - 11/16/2016 1:10 PM

">1936 to 1967 it also looks like the side was modified for a door,half the time the flooring is rotted in them. The frame in front is for the 3 wheeled servi-cars" 

Damn Motor Company, changing models after only 31 years!
Reardan Tom
Posted 11/16/2016 3:48 PM (#91462 - in reply to #84379)

Elite Veteran

He was asking $500 first. Came down a bit. Swap meet was north of Spokane at the Humane Society back in October. I can track the guy down if you want me to. Bottom is pretty rusted out...

(Swap Meet 009.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Swap Meet 009.JPG (2386KB - 2 downloads)
hdrghack
Posted 11/16/2016 3:53 PM (#91463 - in reply to #91462)

Expert

No thanks Tom, not to bad of a price I was curious like I had mentioned they usually are rotted out having the side cut out didn't help but the bottom looks better than some I have seen in the past.  Thanks!!

Edited by hdrghack 11/16/2016 3:55 PM
claude #3563
Posted 4/3/2017 10:56 PM (#93022 - in reply to #84379)

Expert

I just posted a video on my facebook about this . They are now making their own 'sidecars' made which almost make the previous ones look good. Feel free to comment there or of course here. https://www.facebook.com/freedom.sidecars
jaydmc
Posted 5/31/2017 3:41 PM (#93678 - in reply to #84379)

Expert

Working with another customer of Safer whole sale, they have a sidecar that looks very much like the 1950's Harley sidecar body on a chassis with NO suspension, no way of using the "hardware" that came with the sidecar that was suppose to "fit" their burgman and NO support from the company that sold this "sidecar" and of course no refund. We can make it all work for them but they will have a lot more into it and still have a sidecar with out suspension and they will have to do some welding on the sidecar frame in order to use our hardware.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
ncdave
Posted 5/31/2017 9:20 PM (#93682 - in reply to #84379)

I think I know what my next project will be!!! :-D :-D :-D

jaydmc
Posted 9/6/2017 10:45 AM (#94980 - in reply to #84379)

Expert

Time to this back to the top, Just had an inquiry from some one who purchased their "Beemer" sidecar. It came with out a tire, fender, struts of any kind and absolutely no bike side hardware. And of course the company is of no help at all.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
prmurat1
Posted 9/6/2017 1:46 PM (#94982 - in reply to #84379)
Subject: RE: safer whole sale, and now RT

Regular

I am thinking of getting one for my Can Am ... has to be today!!!!

Can-Am RocketTeer Old School Biker Side Car Motorcycle Sidecar Kit
LIST PRICE: $4,769.95
TOMORROW'S PRICE: $3,859.95
SEPT. 6th 8 HR. SALE: $2,199.95
You save $2,570.00!

This Motorcycle Sidecar Kit is built with the highest quality materials and craftsmanship. Its made to last a lifetime and can be used on multiple scooters. ORDER ONLINE NOW OR CALL 1-866-606-3991

(can am side.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments can am side.jpg (16KB - 1 downloads)
jaydmc
Posted 3/30/2018 10:37 AM (#96853 - in reply to #84379)

Expert

back up to the top because it is important. Dealing with a person again today that they screwed.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Cozy1
Posted 3/30/2018 1:50 PM (#96858 - in reply to #84379)

New User

I have to chime in here - I (Cozy sidecars) also have many customers who call when they can't make one of these fit much less safely. I am appalled at tales of missing parts, no customer service etc. Some of the mounts make me shudder. I feel terrible for these folks because most of them are first timers and didn't know any better. Many have given up and written their purchase off which gives all of us a black eye. There are several very reputable sidecar manufacturers/ suppliers in the US including Jay and others who work hard to sell good safe products. All the US suppliers prices are pretty good given your application and what you are looking for. I only wish some of these folks would check this forum before they make a terrible mistake.
Kevin M.
Cozy Sidecars USA
www.cyclesideecar.com
623-512-0377
jaydmc
Posted 3/30/2018 4:04 PM (#96859 - in reply to #84379)

Expert

Kevin is one of the good guys in the industry.
I have worked with Kevin off and on for about 20 years.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
jwshort
Posted 3/31/2018 4:01 PM (#96868 - in reply to #84379)

Elite Veteran

Thanks for your comments Kevin and Jay. Kevin is right. These crooks make all of the legitimate sidecar builders look bad.

Keep up the good work you guys. We need you!!!!
DRONE
Posted 4/3/2018 12:51 PM (#96898 - in reply to #84379)

Veteran

I'm not a Facebook guy, but for the younger generation info posted on the USCA Facebook page might be more accessible than here. Maybe just a general warning about Safer Wholesale with a link to this thread?

By the way, where are people finding these sidecars? Where does Safer Wholesale advertise?
Jeff_Online
Posted 4/3/2018 1:17 PM (#96901 - in reply to #84379)

Veteran

I really appreciate the people on this site, I joined the USCA because of them. I stumbled on here, but as Drone mentioned, I'm of the generation where I used to find BBS for my hobbies before there was a search engine or even an internet. I used to download things like some of your ideas on a 9600 bps modem. LOL If you don't know, say a 5 page description of what you are doing, would take about 20 minutes to download. To be viewed later, of course, you couldn't do two things on a computer, like download AND read it. hehe
Valkrider
Posted 4/3/2018 3:19 PM (#96907 - in reply to #96901)

Veteran

I kind of miss those DOS days. You knew what was on your computer, what it was for and how it got there. Today who the hell knows what's going on. I started with a 300 baud acoustic modem.

Edited by Valkrider 4/3/2018 3:21 PM
jaydmc
Posted 4/3/2018 4:07 PM (#96910 - in reply to #84379)

Expert

I had some one phone me today having just purchased a Divjot sidecar. I had never seen one. He tells me that they told him it would "fit" his Triumph Bonneville America and gave him no support when it would not. Then less then 10 minutes latter I had some one pull in with a Divjot sidecar mounted on his Softtail. He was quite creative with the "universal" mounting hardware that came with it. The lower rear was/is mounted to the swing arm. The lower front makes it so that the rear brake can not be fully engaged and the entire sidecars mounting system had slipped by the time he arrived. Overall these sidecars seem to be "ok" quality but the mounts are very low quality, the entire mounting system is very similar to what Velorex supplies. While the sidecar has a spot light built into the nose of the body there is absolutely no other lights nor are there even provisions for a brake. He told me that he had to have the wheel trued in order to make it even usable and that the tire did not hold air as the tube had been pinched at the factory. Overall opinion of the sidecar is that they are "ok" but like many of the other lower priced sidecars the mounts are junk. And of course I always advocate for a brake that for some reason the lower priced sidecars (and often the "lower" priced selling dealers) feel that brakes are not important. And like all of these other lower priced sidecars do not expect any product support from the seller.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
claude #3563
Posted 4/7/2018 11:11 AM (#96961 - in reply to #96910)

Expert

If the link to the video does not work go to my
facebook site ( Claude Stanley) ...There will be a picture of a red sidecar and a white
sidecar at the top of the page...Scroll down to April 3RD AND YOU CAN
SEE THE VIDEO THERE.

https://www.facebook.com/freedom.sidecars/videos/962388077229663/Uzp... Stanley

April 3 ·
This 'sidecar' looks well worn. It actually has 400 miles on it and has had one failure already. The slag on the frame...oops welds . on the frame had some cracking. Sad very sad. I do need to interject here that even though all of us who build sidecar on a regular basis try very hard to create a structurally sound assembly it is still true that anything that a human creates or fabricates does have a chance of an issue. Face it, all the cars do not finish the Indy 500 every year even though the engineering that goes into them is great. So, we here at Freedom Sidecars have been said to possibly over build our stuff but that is fine and franly I sleep well at night.......okay.....Now...on the example shown The upper 'struts' consist of a heim end ( spherical rod end) at the bottom. Personally not a big fan of them anyhow for sidecar mounting even when they are used 'properly'. In this case the bolts seem to be 3/8" but the rod ends have a larger hole. According to the owner he was told this is fine because the bolts with the washer will hold it okay. BTW no instructions came with the 'sidecar' but some were sent after they were asked for. ....Okay the bolts that the heim ends are attached with are run through holes drilled through the small square tubing frame. Note that when this is done the proper practice would be to drill a hole large enough for a piece of small tubing to be run through the square tube and any bolt go down through that. The struts themselves appear to be a tractor supply item or something of that nature. The upper clevis' on the struts is the wrong side for the plate they connect to and if you look close you will see how the clevis is pulled together by the small bolt running through it to clamp it to the skiiny walled plates. The plates with the tab welded to them to 'hold ' the struts are too thin walled and, get this, they are mounted to the bike by drilling through the motorcycle frame!! If you look closely at the end of the video when we are wiggling the 'sidecar' you will see the plate portion on the so called frame mounts flex. Well Boys and girls you can only bend a paper clip so many times before it is just two pieces of wire and no longer clips paper. ............The suspension? Rubber torsion trailer axle. Yes we have done a few with this on them for sidecar traning outfits. Works great in a parking lot for a few miles a day. Will it do well over time on the roads with family and loved ones aboard? I have no idea but there is no way that we would consider taking a chance on it to keep overhead down and increase profit margins. Ain't happening and I will not debate it if anyone has used it call me wrong but don't call me wrong in an attempt to say that these rubber trailer , inexpensive setups are as good or better than what all of us are doing today. End of story.....I could go on with this and /or blow it off and just say " you get what you pay for".....but when peoples lives are in potential danger due to inferior built things such as we see here it is worth standing up for what is right. This sidecar will never be on the road again.. It might become a planter which should be a good conversation piece.

Edited by claude #3563 4/7/2018 11:18 AM
rudyr
Posted 4/8/2018 2:37 PM (#96965 - in reply to #84379)
Subject: RE: safer whole sale, and now RT

Veteran

I had bought a cozy scooter-sidecar from a motorcycle dealer in Tulsa. He didn’t give it away, but I could see what needed done so I could fit it to my Triumph Bonneville SE, with 17” mag. Got rite of wheel and fender, torsion axel,reinforced the frame, made or had the mounts. I used the back top strut mount but it kept sliping( one pinch bolt). End up going to Tractor Supply and buying a top link for the 3 point hitch on a tractor, just figured they stand up to a lot roughy treement, cut the barrel added 4”, cut the Hemlic joint off booth end and added clevis on each end, ended up with a hand adjustable top link(left & and right thries and lock nut) $25.00.plus free labor me.Rudy
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software