Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Never hire an electrician who has no eyebrows
- (Added by: claude #3563)

Harley Davidson Sidecar changes for '05
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

sidecarist
Posted 12/19/2004 11:53 PM (#5711)
Subject: Harley Davidson Sidecar changes for '05

Hi All - I've got a request to "do a report on H.D. new sidecar suspension "trick" of disk brake for '05" from a renewing member.Any of you Harley guys out there know anything about this? I've poked around the Harley web site and did manage to find some info on the Ultra sidecar which seems to have a single disc, but I have no frame of reference. Is the disc new for 05 replacing a drum brake? Any insights welcome. I'm waiting for the new year to wander down to the local Harley dealer to see what they can tell me.Many thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 12/20/2004 1:39 PM (#5716 - in reply to #5711)
Subject: RE: Harley Davidson Sidecar changes for '05

Expert

I believe the disc brake has been around for a couple of years but the only chassis "suspension" I know of comes from the air in the Dunlop tire.
Unless there have been major changes they are still (chassis-wise) the same rigid mount solid axle sidecar they have been for the last 100 years. The epitome of Retro.
Scrubs
Posted 12/20/2004 8:11 PM (#5720 - in reply to #5711)

sidecarist, I do have an 05 Ultra sidecar and it does have the single disc. I have no idea what they have had in the past or when it was changed from a drum. But I do know this one squeals real bad. I plan on drilling the disc, hoping that removes the noise.

Also, I am planing on making this hack as quick detachable as possible. Electrical stuff seems pretty harmless, just need some patience but how about the brakes? Use a quick disconnect coupler? Don't want to have air in my lines all the time.

thanks,
Scrubs

Posted 12/20/2004 9:55 PM (#5721 - in reply to #5711)

Scrubs,
Before you drill the disk, champher the edges of the pads - that took the squeal out of mine.
Mine also came with a small brass brake line plug for when you unhook the hack. Screws right into the brake line fitting at the bike - no need to bleed it - untill you hook it back up!
Happy Motorin'
Dean & Betty

Edited by Dean & Betty 12/20/2004 9:56 PM

Posted 1/2/2005 6:10 AM (#5804 - in reply to #5711)

I have an '03 and it has the disc brake. I think they started putting the disc on in about '98. I was at the local dealership last week and the owner didn't know of any changes this year.
Regards,
SCT100
Posted 1/2/2005 8:28 AM (#5806 - in reply to #5720)

Veteran

Besides chamfering the pads on the leading edges, try putting a couple of dots of high temperature silicone (RTV Red) between the pad and the puck and the pad and the body of the caliper. In so much as drilling the disc, most disc rotors are hardened and if you did drill it, you'd need an indexing head as the holes have to be spaced properly as well as a Hi-Roc drill. If you want to go that route, Malford Machine Tool makes Hi-Roc die salvage drills in all sizes.

Posted 1/2/2005 6:22 PM (#5811 - in reply to #5711)

My '99 Ultra has a disk and single leaf-spring suspension. Didn't see anything different in the catalog. Of course, MY (now former) dealer claims that Harley doesn't make a sidecar anymore.

Posted 1/2/2005 7:33 PM (#5813 - in reply to #5811)

Some dealers are really strange. Mine just got a new '05 Ultra with an Ultra sidecar. He gets a new rig every other year (with radical paing and all the add-ons). He's been riding a rig for over 35 years he says. I'll be sure to tell him what your dealer said, Red. I probably should put my ear plugs in before I tell him though.
Ride safe!
Hack'n
Posted 1/3/2005 1:08 PM (#5820 - in reply to #5811)

Expert

Sorry Pard,
Your sidecar doesn't have leaf spring suspension. Only the body (banana) itself is suspended with leaf springs.
JOECAPY
Posted 1/12/2005 4:12 PM (#5894 - in reply to #5711)

ALL THIS TIME I THOUGHT MY MUSTANG HAD A REAR LEAF SPRING SUSPENTION BUT I GUESS IT'S ONLY THE BODY !!! HARLEY WENT TO DISK BRAKES IN 98 AND SINGLE LEAF IN 94.ALSO I'M LOOKING FOR A SET OF SHOES FOR MY 93 HARLEY SIDECAR OR INFO ABOUT LOCATING THEM. PART #41802-58A. THANK'S JOE CAPP

Hack'n
Posted 1/12/2005 4:38 PM (#5896 - in reply to #5894)

Expert

Joe,
Your Mustang has an unsprung rear end (Dead weight). However, the chassis itself (and body) are supported by the rear leaf springs (sprung weight).
The wheel, axle and frame of the Harley sidecar have no independent suspension (Dead weight), the body (Banana) does (sprung weight).
Almost every current manufacturer of sidecars (except Harley) uses coil over shock swing arm suspension.
The Motor Company still uses some 19th Century technology, but manages to sell it at a 21st Century price.

We Harley owners deserve a better product.

Lonnie Cook

(Harley owner since 1946)

Posted 2/1/2005 7:57 PM (#6149 - in reply to #5711)

Sorry, you're right Lonnie. Common usage isn't correct usage.
Back to the original question. Has anyone seen an '05 Harley Sidecar? Did anything change?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software