Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Expert": from Websters; ex, meaning has been, and spurt; a drip under pressure.
- (Added by: Hack'n)

Front swing arm looseness
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

MikeS
Posted 12/23/2004 7:33 PM (#5738)
Subject: Front swing arm looseness

Regular

I have a leading link fork on an EML rig, probably close to 20 years old. These are all original EML parts. There was looseness in the front swing arm. I took it apart, and am dismayed with the method of attaching the front swing arm to the down tube of the front steering fork. Instead of bearings, it is a rubber ring or tube with a metal bushing on the inside and outside of the rubber tube. It looks like an automotive shock absorber style rubber connector with metal bushing.

Over time, the outer metal bushing has worn in the front steering fork down tube. I added shims there, but this is a temporary solution.

Shouldn't this be a greasable bushing, or a roller bearing? Can I have a local machine shop re-do this, and end up with satisfactory, long lasting results? What should I request from the machine shop, in terms of type of roller bearing and such? Would a greaseable sleeve be satisfactory, instead of a roller bearing?

Mike Senty
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Bilgekeeldave
Posted 12/23/2004 10:28 PM (#5740 - in reply to #5738)
Subject: RE: Front swing arm looseness

The MG car company called this a 'silentblock' bushing. They used it for many years. I have seen them replaced with an aftermarket bushing made with polyurethane instead of rubber. Dneprs use this kind of bushing on the swingarms also.

Dave
JerryR
Posted 12/23/2004 11:05 PM (#5741 - in reply to #5738)

Using a plain bushing may work if properly done and replaced regularly but i don't think it would be the best. you limiting factor may be the size of the existing parts. Ask a good Machine Shop for their recomendation after you show them how it is used. They may know of a sutable bearing to use.

Several decades ago Motorvation it think it was produced a Leading Link fork with plain bearings. Those bearings didn't last long and wore out quickly. I'm not sure if it was the cheap bearing choice or cracking tubes that killed their forks.

If I could get them in there Tapered Bearings like the Beemer forks used would be my choice and that is how I have built my own for a '75 Wing.

Keep an open mind and get some input from those who have repaired them before if there around.

Good luck, Jerry
MikeS
Posted 12/25/2004 7:57 AM (#5750 - in reply to #5738)

Regular

Dave-Jerry

Thanks for your comments. I'm remembering the Earles forks on the pre-1970 BMW's I owned, which was decades ago. I seem to recall a bearing in this location on the swing arm. The pivot connection on the EML leading link fork is not as refined as what BMW provided.

I think I'll first contact the new EML representative in FL, for his advice.

Mike
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software