Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The purpose of life's journey is NOT to arrive at the grave, safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, a martini in the other, totally worn out, screaming WOO HOO...what a ride!
- (Added by: marsha)

California Sidecar Electrical question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

phlaug
Posted 7/4/2015 9:18 PM (#85204)
Subject: California Sidecar Electrical question

Regular

I have a Friendship III sidecar mated to a 1991 GoldWing.

Just noticed the other day that the running lights, front and rear, on the sidecar are out. (Turn signal still works, height adjuster on outrigger wheel still works.)

I had actually only noticed that the headlight was out so pulled that out, and found it was a bit of a melted mess. Took some doing to pull apart and then had to file the inside of the gap to get the old bulb that had broken apart and fit the new bulb in. (But I'd confirmed the light and fixture worked via bench testing before reinstalling.)

When I reinstalled, still no light. So now I was thinking fuse. But I can't discern a fuse anywhere. Sidecar has a quick connect wiring harness (about a nine pin job (I didn't take a picture and I'm far away from it at the moment)), a few wires go forward to the height adjuster control. A few wires are cut off and unused. And then a brown and a blue head toward the back under the GoldWing's top box. So I can only assume these power the running lights.

So my questions are: is there a fuse mounted anywhere in the sidecar itself?

Would a fuse have been installed in line where ever these wires spliced into the GoldWing's original wiring?

Any ideas or guidance whatsoever would be greatly appreciated. I'm mechanically inclined enough to get a lot of stuff done, but boy do I really hate electrical!!!

Thanks! And Happy Independence Day!!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DRONE
Posted 7/5/2015 9:38 AM (#85206 - in reply to #85204)
Subject: Re: California Sidecar Electrical question

Veteran

I've never owned a Cali so can't comment on the fuse question, but first I'd see if there is good power and ground to the headlight by testing the wires that connect to the headlight fixture, and to the front and rear running lights. I know you said you bench tested the fixture, but still I'd want to confirm that the wires have no power. I'd check the ground wire separately to make sure it is still a good ground. Once you get that done, and there's no power in those lines, then you can restart your search for the fuse (which is most likely the problem.) You can also pull that connector apart, then use your multimeter to test the pins on the bike side of the connector. If your light pins have power, then the problem is in the car. If not, then it's a fuse on the bike.

If no joy, you could call Jay or Barry at DMC Sidecars next week. I'm sure they'd know.
phlaug
Posted 7/5/2015 9:45 AM (#85207 - in reply to #85204)

Regular

Thanks, Drone. Appreciate the feedback.

So, I guess first stop is the auto parts store to get a multi meter -- I had electrical so much I've never even had one. But I have a trailer wiring disaster to work on too, so I guess it's high time.

Great call on testing the quick connector pins directly to help narrow down where the issue is.

Tangentially related question: anyone know the laws regarding running lights on sidecars? The blinkers still work front and back so I feel fine running it in daylight. At night it's a little dicier as some idiot could think I'm just a solo bike and go to pass me on the right when I'm signaling left not realizing there's a wide-ass sidecar over there. But just curious about daytime running whether the cops on their hyped-up long weekend patrols would have an excuse to bother me (I'm thinking not as it'd be obscure info for them to have front of mind...).
phlaug
Posted 7/5/2015 10:18 AM (#85208 - in reply to #85204)

Regular

Sorry, another related question--I just found that two running light bulbs on the GoldWing (the two in the top box, that sit inside the two turn signals, flanking the reflector with the GoldWing logo) aren't installed. Was this necessary due to the additional demands on the bike's electrical to power the car's running lights? Or is it possible precious owner noticed a bulb out and just decided not to replace?

Thanks!
Lloyd
Posted 7/5/2015 2:23 PM (#85213 - in reply to #85204)

Veteran

Normally the right turn signal bulb on the bike is removed, so that people aren't confused by the right turn signal on the bike and on the sidecar are both blinking, but states that require a safety inspection often require that all light bulbs be working on both the bike and sidecar. Often people with Goldwings will hook up the sidecar lights directly to the bikes wiring in the trunk, and often those wires are too small to carry the extra current, it may have blown a fuse on the bike. Good luck with it.
phlaug
Posted 7/25/2015 6:25 AM (#85546 - in reply to #85204)

Regular

Thanks again DRONE and Lloyd for your input.

So I promptly bought the electric testing tool, though didn't so promptly start sticking and prodding the bike. And then one day I had to make a quick daytime run with the rig and when I fired it up all the lights worked! GHOST IN THE MACHINE ANYONE? I'm not complaining, as it seems to be consistently illuminated now (two weeks no issues). But when it does fail again i think I'll really be in a bind trying to track it down as it clearly has an intermittance to it. Alas!
DRONE
Posted 7/25/2015 5:24 PM (#85558 - in reply to #85546)

Veteran

Lucky you!  Just don't push your luck and start installing a satellite TV and a microwave for popcorn.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software