Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The Bull doesn't always lose.
- (Added by: Hack'n)

Squeaky side car break Harley 2000 TLE
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

side car fever
Posted 7/5/2015 1:19 PM (#85210)
Subject: Squeaky side car break Harley 2000 TLE

I have a 2000 H.D. classic with a tle side car same year. I have 40,000 miles on rig. Have owned this rig for 4 years now. The side car brake is very squeaky when applied. I have changed pads (replacement from Harley) and still squeaks. The Harley dealer told me they all do this. There has to be a pad that is not noisy when applied. Do I need to get the rotor resurfaced? Any one experience this problem? Tired of sounding like I do not maintain my rig.

Mike H.

Edited by side car fever 7/5/2015 1:22 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jaybee47
Posted 7/19/2015 9:48 PM (#85476 - in reply to #85210)
Subject: RE: Squeaky side car break Harley 2000 TLE

Regular

Embarrassing I know.
I occasionally have the squeak in my Fatboy but I fix it all the time.
The brake pads vibrate (when the brakes are applied) on and in with the caliper pistons and brake pad pins and causes the high pitch sound.
Here are my recommendations for your consideration, perform both:
1) Apply onto the brake pad pins......AGS Company, Silglyde, part no. BK4, Brake Lubricant, Muskegon MI.
This has the consistency of Vaseline....don't worry...it is made for squeaky brakes....it allows the brake pad tabs to glide on and freely ride on the pins.
Make sure the brake pin(s) are not worn, replace both if one or both are worn.
2) Apply a thin film onto the metal back of the brake pads.....CRC Industries, Disc Brake Quiet, part no. 05016, Warminster PA.
This has the consistency of cold and thick molasses....will cure to a rubbery film....this acts as a damper between the metal brake pad back and the face of the caliper pistons.....again don't worry about the rubbery film...it will not detract from the braking power...it is made for squeaky brake pads.
The HD pads are good but expensive because of its name.....an aftermarket brand might be lesser priced and equal to or better than the HD pads.

Just an opinion....sometimes I think that most HD techs may not know too much about the idiosyncrasies of their products.
One tried to sell me a replacement speedometer after I told him the problem.
He said that a faulty speedometer would cause the bike to shudder under load.
I fixed it myself...it was a battery cable that had loosened itself from the crimp of the ferrule.
chromepony
Posted 7/21/2015 10:55 AM (#85493 - in reply to #85476)
Subject: RE: Squeaky side car break Harley 2000 TLE

Thank you for the post, jaybee47, as I also have the squeaky sidecar brake problem on my 2003.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software