Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It feels like the pony wants to run - you can feel it in the reins
- (Added by: RigadoonAmy)

car tire size on leading links?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

pago cruiser
Posted 7/16/2015 12:55 AM (#85407)
Subject: car tire size on leading links?

All,

I am having Wasp build me set of LL for our Valkyrie/Motorvation Hack; they did the setup on my XR1200/Ural, and it has been great.
I'm now considering an upgrade to a CT on the Wasp LL's. Plenty of width on the Valk forks. Wasp uses Centerline welded wheel. and typically uses 15" tires.
I know when I was doing another project a few years ago, 15" CT's were pretty rare. 16" had a lot more choices. Wasp can do both, but they think the 16" would be...odd.
This coming from a country that drinks warm beer...

I have 16" CT on the XR and the Valk Hack rear; would be ideal (I guess?) to have tires the same size and pattern front and rear. Height-wise, the 16" CT is 1/2" taller than the 17" E3 on the Valk; so that is not an issue

Comments?

Also, as not many in the US seem to run CT's on the front, if anybody has made the switch I would be interested in their thoughts - pro or con.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DRONE
Posted 7/16/2015 2:35 AM (#85408 - in reply to #85407)
Subject: Re: car tire size on leading links?

Veteran

15's are still pretty rare in the U.S., but in Mexico where they still have a lot of VW Beetles, there are more. If your Spanish is OK, have a look here -- http://llantas-rines.mercadolibre.com.mx/llantas-y-rines/llantas/r1...

Of course, there are not that many 16's in the U.S. either, assuming you are considering 175's or narrower.  If you can ship a 185, there's a lot more choices.

I have no experience with CT's up front, but I'm told that for long distance touring on the Interstates etc., they tend to hunt and wander around while moto tires stay planted in whatever direction you point them.  If you plan to use the rig in Samoa, this is not an issue.  Or do you plan to use it elsewhere?

jaydmc
Posted 7/16/2015 10:18 AM (#85412 - in reply to #85407)

Expert

In very general terms, wide car tires really do not work out all that well, they track every grove in the road and hydroplane easy. I tried one on the front of my current rig a 2014 BMW R1200GSA / Expedition and after a few hours took it back off and went back to running a rear tire. If you do go with a car tire you more then likely will have to run a 15 inch in order to get a narrow enough one to work well. While not stocked at most tire stores the wear house usually has 155 15's on hand. Narrower yet such as 145 or even 135 Corker tire stocks. Also if you run a wide tire on the front if you have Motovations trim control you will find that it is of little use.
On the Valkyrie we usually go with triple tree's and the stock front wheel and tire, just delivered one yesterday that we hooked up a Watsonian GP700 to as the owner tried several shops and spend 8 months trying to get the hardware that Watsonian supplied to work before he brought it down from Canada for us to do.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
pago cruiser
Posted 7/18/2015 1:20 AM (#85441 - in reply to #85407)

Thanks guys. Just what I was looking for. I had heard some comments about hunting with the CT on front, but not verifiable.
Drone - whilst my ID is from the island (Am Samoa), we (and our sailboat) are long gone... kept the ID though...
As Wasp want about $1kfor the CT front, think I'll stick with the standard 17" - and maybe find a rear to run on it. It will also speed up the fab time.
Regards.
michaelh
Posted 7/19/2015 1:12 PM (#85463 - in reply to #85441)

Veteran

Are you the same Mitch who sold his boat to Mike the Merc?

Pity you aren't here, with my neighbor with the Icebear Trike (Richie, of Richie's Diner, the hot dog stand at costs-u-more), we could go for a Sunday putt together and stop traffic with gawkers! You should see the kid's faces in Onenoa or Amanave - priceless!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software