Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "I have learned silence from the talkative, tolerance from the intolerant and kindness from the unkind." - Kahlil Gibran
- (Added by: dave)

Fixing a leaky windsheild, could use some advice
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

fastjoe
Posted 12/13/2015 1:41 PM (#87099)
Subject: Fixing a leaky windsheild, could use some advice

Veteran

Our Champion Daytona 2+2 sidecar leaks water around the plexiglass severely in one lower corner when it rains.
I would like to remove the windshield and clean the gasket, then reinstall it.

The gasket is about 1 year old. It's a little stiff and I can't seem to get it to settle down to the windshield surface in this one leaking corner. Got the other leaking corner fine but this one won't cooperate. Maybe a good cleaning or rotating the butt seam from the bottom to the top and reinstalling it would help?

If I push the windshield out from the inside, how hard is it to get it back in?
Anyone have any hints or helps?

The other option as I see it is to put a sealer into the leaky area. They make a silicone that will bond to acrylic but if I use that I am concerned that I will never be able to get the windshield out when I want to change it later. I don't want that. I could also use black silicone gasket maker which would match the gasket but I'm not sure if it is compatible with acrylic or whatever the windshield is made from. Anyone know if the black ultra RTV type silicones are compatible with these windshields chemically?
I learned the hard way that loctite is not compatible with Plexiglas and that even the fumes from it curing will craze acrylic. It could have been an expensive lesson.
But because of that experience I don't want to use the wrong product to seal this and have it ruin the windshield.

What ya think???

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jaydmc
Posted 12/14/2015 10:43 AM (#87111 - in reply to #87099)
Subject: Re: Fixing a leaky windsheild, could use some advice

Expert

They can be a bit tricky to get to not leak, we have a different seal we some times use. The only thing holding the shape of the plexi is the gasket. If you make it over this way as one of my employee's designed the sidecar he is pretty good at installing the windshields and getting them on to leak.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsdiecars.com
866-638-1793
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software