Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Middle age is when broadness of the mind and narrowness of the waist change places.
- (Added by: dave)

High Speed wobble
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Fortune
Posted 12/16/2015 1:29 PM (#87144)
Subject: High Speed wobble

Hi folks, I have 43,000 miles on my Honda VTX 1300 & Velorex 562 in the past 18 months.
Doing the Iron Butt Association 50cc, 50 hours coast to coast ride I cracked a lower front strut.
Welded a brace for it and it rides well but with a small pull to the left.
At speeds of 40MPH and above, if I loosen he grip on the handle bars I get some strong wobble.
After welding the strut brace we attempted to realign Toe In and Lean out, but apparently need to rework it.
The welded strut may have been lengthened an 8th to a quarter of an inch during the welding process.
Never had a problem until I cracked the strut.
Any and all suggestions are appreciated
THANKS
Del Lonnquist
Lake Mary, Florida
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jaydmc
Posted 12/18/2015 10:28 AM (#87151 - in reply to #87144)
Subject: Re: High Speed wobble

Expert

First and foremost, THIS IS WAY TO LIGHT DUTY OF A SIDECAR FOR YOUR BIKE! A velorex should never be mounted on a bike as large as yours as evident by the broken strut. What you really need to do is replace the sidecar with a sidecar that was designed for lager bikes such as yours and mount it with proper bike specific NOT universal type mounts. Chances are when you check your hardware statically (I.E. not moving) all seems fine however dynamically (going down the road) things are moving, not all that uncommon with universal type mounts and with lighter duty chassis and hardware such as the Velorex hardware. You very likely when you cracked the strut the other 3 mounts were over stressed and may very well also have issues. We would not be willing to fix your sidecar for use on this bike as safety must come first and I know of at least one person who is now dead as another sidecar shop mounted a Velorex sidecar on to large of a bike. But if we were to do so it would be done like you can see in this article http://www.dmcsidecars.com/the-result-of-improper-sidecar-mounting-... You may have gotten away with running this sidecar for 43,000 miles but all that really means is that you have been lucky. I have attached information as to how to properly align a sidecar. Also should you wish to change sidecars we of course make sidecars but we also make proper bike specific NOT universal mounting hardware for other sidecars. While we could sell you proper bike specific hardware for attaching your current sidecar, we will not. Safety must come before sales. We also offer triple tree's to lower the steering effort.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com

Edited by jaydmc 12/18/2015 2:29 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BASIC SIDECAR INSTRUCTIONS.doc (388KB - 3 downloads)
Fortune
Posted 12/30/2015 12:55 PM (#87328 - in reply to #87144)
Subject: RE: High Speed wobble

Thanks Jay, I appreciate your input and thanks for the video.
Good material.
The 562 has performed well on three bikes now and I am comfortable with it.
The strut did not crack during normal operation.
I was running the Iron Butt Association 50 hours coast to coast, San Diego Beach to Jacksonville, Florida beach when it happened.
I got stuck in a traffic jam on I-10 coming out of Houston, TX
After an hour of not moving I left he jam by going through a ditch and over a steep bank and onto a secondary road at High Rev.
As I came down off the steep bank and onto the secondary road I hit the frame on the blacktop and cracked the strut.
Even then it performed well the rest of the way to Jacksonville Beach where I finished the cross country tip in under fifty hours becoming, at age 80, the oldest rider to accomplish this ride.
After watching your video we did find the problem and I am now riding with no wobble.
Thanks again for your advice.
I hope to meet you in person at a USCA or Iron Butt Association rally.
Del
Hack'n
Posted 12/30/2015 2:29 PM (#87331 - in reply to #87144)

Expert

I've never mounted a 562 to a VTX1300, however we've installed the 563 Tour models with good results. The 130/90 tire on the wide 16" wheel and the reinforced triple tube frame add strength and weight (180#) that the 562 lacks in it's stock form.

Is your 562 the post 2004 Cruiser model with the 20mm axle and upgraded suspension, or the early 15mm model?

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecars

Edited by Hack'n 12/30/2015 2:33 PM
Fortune
Posted 1/3/2016 9:38 AM (#87389 - in reply to #87144)

Hi Lonnie,
a couple of years back I visited with you at your shop when I had the 562 mounted on a Honda 750 Shadow.
It's three years old now and I moved it to a Yamaha 1100 and now to the Honda VTX 1300.
I pull a Mini Mate tent trailer behind it as I travel across the country.
It's been a good rig, although a bigger unit might be better.
I may be running through your area in the spring while heading back to my home in Montana.
Currently in Florida and looking forward to getting back home.
I have done four Iron Butt Association SS1000 miles in 24 hours rides and the coast to coast in 50 hours ride since I turned 80.
The rig has handled it well with no problems.
See more about my Long Distance riding at www.RightLaneAmerica.com
Good to hear from you.
Del Lonnquist
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software