Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Remember the guy that gave up? Neither does anyone else.
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

Advise needed on getting a large dog to ride in a sidecar
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

NCGLSidecarist
Posted 1/9/2016 9:12 AM (#87453)
Subject: Advise needed on getting a large dog to ride in a sidecar

Veteran

we have a large 9 yr. old standard poodle. Trying to get her used to the sidecar. She's smart! Sometimes too smart!
Do most of you leave the seat in or remove it? She seems to feel shaky and unsure of herself with it in, even covered up. Any suggestions or advice appreciated! Thanks

Edited by NCGLSidecarist 1/9/2016 9:14 AM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reardan Tom
Posted 1/9/2016 10:03 AM (#87454 - in reply to #87453)
Subject: Re: Advise needed on getting a large dog to ride in a sidecar

Elite Veteran

I remove the seat in the Liberty and lay pieces of foam on the floor then put a doggy blanket on that making a bed the length of the sidecar. The seat in the Spalding doesn't lift right out so Petey sits on the seat in that one. If your pup wants to be with you constantly and rides in your other vehicles she should take right to the sidecar and in a short while will be her favorite way to go.
NCGLSidecarist
Posted 1/9/2016 4:05 PM (#87456 - in reply to #87454)

Veteran

Thank you, that's a great idea. I think the foam covered with her blanket will give her both stability and comfort. Taking the seat out of the Hannigan is a little challenging because it attaches to the frame floor. I will try your suggestion and let you know how it works. Thanks again!
Peter Pan
Posted 1/10/2016 1:43 AM (#87459 - in reply to #87453)

Expert

Specially on bigger dogs I prefer to have a harnish with a short leash mounted under the chest, so he cannot get out of the tub. (DO NOT USE COMERCIAL ZAMAK HOOKS, but prefer first class carabiner or other safe hooks - The hook rings must be welded, if not they might bend open and your dog still can fly out.)
The smaller dogs are smarter surfers, but still can get thrown out of the sidecar in a bend or emergency sway.

Our Negra (Labrador) invented to be the "guide" for the blind Golden Retriever Luke...works well for her in 2 ways...more miles and smiles...and applause.
Anyway who will be grunty to someone with cancer in her 14th year.
Sven

Edited by Peter Pan 1/10/2016 1:49 AM
Reardan Tom
Posted 1/10/2016 12:45 PM (#87460 - in reply to #87453)

Elite Veteran

You're welcome. Petey is my third sidecar sidekick over the years and the second one who absolutely loves to ride in the sidecar. The Liberty has a little wall that gives the seat cushion the proper angle for comfort and perhaps adds some strength to the sidecar body. So I used the foam out of an old crib mattress to have the proper thickness for the bed to reach the full length. And the little wall was a good place to put an eye bolt to hook one end of the leash to when I use a harness as Sven suggests. Once I know a pup is mellow enough to stay in the sidecar, and that it's his safe, secure place. I rarely use the leash and harness. Archie rode with me for nearly 10 years unrestrained. Henry never did ride unrestrained. And early on, I thought Petey never would. He does. I wouldn't advise anyone to let their dog ride without restraint but when you know your dog totally, it's a decision you make and happens over a period of time. I went from the chest harness to just hooking it to his collar to let him make short rides without the leash to the way we ride now. He doesn't get out unless I tell him it's OK. I know others would say, "What if he sees another dog? What if he sees a rabbit or squirrel?" I know what he does, and he's seen other dogs and critters that he'd normally give chase. He stays put in the sidecar. Only when another dog get's too close to the sidecar does he protest vocally. But he doesn't get out.
NCGLSidecarist
Posted 1/11/2016 6:09 PM (#87465 - in reply to #87460)

Veteran

Thank you for the advise! Can you tell me where I can get the harnesses with the bottom mounted connection?
Peter Pan
Posted 1/11/2016 7:39 PM (#87468 - in reply to #87453)

Expert

I got the normal heavy duty textile chest harnesses from the local pet shop and spot welded the opening of the back ring. Then a double loop through the ring at the chest of the dog was all I did (sula plexus). For to make it nicer you can stitch it with some surplus textile strap. But as our dogs change their size frequently (parasites vs overfeed times) the sling through is more practical for me.
(Most of our dogs came from shelters with diseases and we had quite a list passing over our farm.)
As floor matt I am considering neoprene as future option, because there is no mattress foam that survives certain pupps and blind big boy.
Sven

Edited by Peter Pan 1/11/2016 7:42 PM
NCGLSidecarist
Posted 1/25/2016 7:11 PM (#87647 - in reply to #87453)
Subject: RE: Advise needed on getting a large dog to ride in a sidecar

Veteran

Took our dog for her 1st ride in the SC today. My wife provided support in the car. Actually 1st ride for both. Went well for both. Our dog looked like she wasn't totally sold but I think in time she will really enjoy it! Keep you posted!
Peter Pan
Posted 1/25/2016 8:40 PM (#87648 - in reply to #87453)

Expert

One step at a time you get far.
In my families case. the dogs go nuts and the ladies are not much amused.
Such is life.
Sven
Reardan Tom
Posted 1/26/2016 11:31 AM (#87653 - in reply to #87453)

Elite Veteran

In my case it was my wife wanting to quit the bike after riding with me on two wheels many years, many bikes and many miles that lead to the sidecars. When she wanted to quit, I bought a used Ural to see if she'd like the sidecar. I did not expect to like riding on three wheels thinking at the time the only people who rode on three wheels were those that for what ever reason couldn't handle two. I was wrong. It was a whole new thrill. But Barb still wanted to quit. She was no longer willing to accept the risk. But Archie loved the Ural so for a couple years I rode it so he could come along while the Harley mostly sat. After a couple years, I realized there's no going back so I sold the Ural, my Kwik Kamp trailer and an old parts tractor and ordered the Liberty. That was some years back now. Lots of adventures ago with my pups while Barb happily holds down the fort at home.
NCGLSidecarist
Posted 1/26/2016 4:02 PM (#87657 - in reply to #87453)

Veteran

Sidecaring I've found attracts a "different breed"! Most riders who come to it through a variety of reasons stay because of the absolute love of the ride and the fun involved. It's usually not because the can ride 2 wheels anymore. I find sidecaring to be challenging especially if we ride with and keep up with the 2 wheelers. Glad I discovered it, and glad for the people I've met. My wife still rides and enjoys her trike. together we're great team. Our lives are definitely better because of it.
NCGLSidecarist
Posted 1/28/2016 2:46 PM (#87682 - in reply to #87453)

Veteran

We're making progress! Took Daisy for a much longer ride yesterday. She's still being supported by my wife. We haven't soloed yet. Time to get her out on the main roads with some noise and distractions. Optimistic that all will go well. She really looks like she's enjoying the ride. Baby steps!,
Peter Pan
Posted 2/2/2016 2:35 PM (#87743 - in reply to #87453)

Expert

let's see if we get Negra on the screen.
"I want to ride bike"

Sven

Edited by Peter Pan 2/2/2016 2:37 PM

(Foto0271.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Foto0271.jpg (194KB - 2 downloads)
99Savage
Posted 2/10/2016 8:57 PM (#87857 - in reply to #87453)

This guy has traveled a big hunk of the US with his dog. Not all of his experiences worked out well and not all of his dogs took to it.

http://travelswithbarley.com/
StarWolve
Posted 2/19/2016 10:41 AM (#87936 - in reply to #87453)

New User

One thing I can suggest is a good harness - I use a sleepypod seat harness in my Jeep with the doors off for my dogs. (http://sleepypod.com/clickit) I have two small beagles, and they are very secure with this harness. When I eventually get a sidecar, I plan to add the same type of baby car seat mounts in the seat so I can secure the dogs.
NCGLSidecarist
Posted 2/20/2016 6:02 PM (#87952 - in reply to #87453)

Veteran

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Just bought the book, "dogs ride" written by 2 people from the "Sit, Stay, Ride video. Very good book, and we found we're doing a lot of things right. Our dog is getting used to the sidecar and I think beginning to see it as "her place". Taking it slowly, Tomorrow will go out on the real road for a short ride. Will see how she does. Keep you posted!
Glenfiddich
Posted 2/23/2016 8:37 AM (#87986 - in reply to #87857)

Regular

99Savage - 2/10/2016 8:57 PM

This guy has traveled a big hunk of the US with his dog. Not all of his experiences worked out well and not all of his dogs took to it.

http://travelswithbarley.com/

That was my boy. I lost him to lymphoma last November after 55,000 miles of shared adventure. We got over 1000 cards, letters, emails and PMs after his passing. He was truly loved by many! The most touching tributes came from people who had been using Barley as an example of how to face their own cancers with courage and dignity. All dogs bring gifts to the relationship if you keep your heart open. Barley brought more than most and made it very clear he would be royally ed off at me if I didn't regift his love to another dog. He taught me so much...

Right now my world is locked up in ice and snow, but come spring Tulliver will start riding with me in earnest. (So far he's just done a few rides no more than 100 miles.) He's not as curious about the world as Barley was, but wants to me with me so does okay. Our new pup - Pandemonium - will be born around St Patrick's Day and come to us in mid-May. Coming from master hunter lines on both sides, I suspect he will have courage and curiosity in spades. Those qualities coupled with a highly developed prey drive made Barley so much fun to travel with. Hopefully his training as both a service dog and a sidecar dog will be completed in less than two years so we can get out there and continue the legacy.

A couple of general pointers for those just starting out:
1. Every ride should include a fun break for the dog.
2. Treats and praise are critical to forming that bond you'll need on the road.
3. Nothing bad should ever happen in the hack: no scolding, no punishment, nothing but fun and love and joy.

Pete

Edited by Glenfiddich 2/23/2016 8:38 AM
Reardan Tom
Posted 2/23/2016 9:30 AM (#87987 - in reply to #87453)

Elite Veteran

Pete,
Those three pointers say it all in a nutshell!! Very well stated. So sorry for your loss of Barley. When Archie died after all the years he'd been my sidecar sidekick and all the adventures we'd had together, I was devastated. I thought there'd never be another like him. And that was mostly right. There will never, ever be another Archie. But after several months I found Henry in the same shelter I'd found Archie. He was unique in his own ways and was learning to ride but didn't take to the sidecar as naturally as Archie had. His thrill in life was chasing coyotes and cars. Dang it. Chasing cars was his downfall. I couldn't undo what was done. I didn't wait that time. Back to make the round of shelters. Thought it would take several trips but on that first round, there was Petey looking out through the kennel knowing I was there to rescue him. This riding season will be the 5th for him and he absolutely loves to ride in the sidecar. His favorite way to go. The adventure continues. Here's hoping your adventure with continue with another canine companion!!
Glenfiddich
Posted 2/23/2016 11:38 AM (#87994 - in reply to #87453)

Regular

Thanks, Tom. Losing a dog is never easy. Losing one that you have so completely bonded to, a soul dog, is devastating. I promise each pup that enters my world a life of joy, love and adventure. I also promise to never compare them to those who came before, that I will accept the gifts they bring as special things, and not rank them. It's going to be difficult starting over with Tully and then with Pandemonium, as neither will have Barley's experience. But I'll keep an open mind and watch for signs that my training approach isn't working on this particular dog...and adjust myself accordingly.

BTW to the OP, removing the Hannigan seat is not a big deal. If you have a second person to hold the head of the bolts it's easier, but you can also use the side of the tub to hold the upper wrench in place while you remove the nut underneath the tub. Two of the bolts go through the frame so you definitely want to put those back. The other pair of holes I just plugged with a rubber grommet. Without the seat he could stretch out for naps and when sitting up he was lower (and safer). It also gives you access to the rear bulkhead which let me attach water and fuel cans just in case.

I'm not sure what sort of riding you do, or how far you go, but in my case living in Northern Vermont where most of the roads are unpaved, and taking a 5-9000 mile summer trip every year I found that a memory foam mattress gave Barley a lot better protection from road vibration. In the photo I posted earlier you can also see the tonneau cover I had customized for him. He was a hunter, and that smaller zippered hatch kept him centered in the hack so he couldn't get his paws on the edge for a closer look at an animal we passed. It was also supposed to provide some rain and sun protection, but it never worked out that way. The rain would pool in the center and the zipper was not waterproof, and the sun got so hot inside despite the light color that I ended up getting the Hannigan ragtop. That turned out to be a great buy, as it was absolutely waterproof and gave him some much needed shade out west.

Edited by Glenfiddich 2/23/2016 11:43 AM
NCGLSidecarist
Posted 2/23/2016 11:42 AM (#87995 - in reply to #87453)

Veteran

Great info. So sorry to hear about Barley!!Just finished reading your blog. Really enjoyed it! I can share your loss. We lost our 18 yr. old cockapoo last yr. Still haven't completely gotten over her loss. Anybody who says they don't morn the loss of a dog has never really been loved by one! They exist to love! Glad to hear that his legacy will continue. In the final analysis that's all each of us has to give. In most cases that's a lot! Ride on, ride safe, and know that Barley is always with you!
NCGLSidecarist
Posted 7/10/2016 8:37 PM (#89816 - in reply to #87453)

Veteran

Just wanted to update and thank everyone for your suggestions. Very pleased to report that Daisy and I just finished our 1st 75 mi. trip together with the sidecar. Travel back roads and super slabs! She behaves very well, tolerates Doggles while bike is in motion. We do create a minor bit of traffic congestion as people slow to get a look. Gas stops have been an adventure. Between questions, curiosity seekers, and picture takers it has been fun. Does give people a different perspective on "bikers"!
Glenfiddich
Posted 7/11/2016 9:45 PM (#89832 - in reply to #87453)

Regular

Good on Daisy! Those early rides when it seems to come together are really special! Sort of a "By jove it's going to work!" moment.

Things are progressing well with Tulliver. He's had several half day rides, and the day after tomorrow we head to the BMW rally in Hamburg NY, about 500 miles away. An easy day trip for me, but one I'll break into a couple of days filled with stops at exciting lakes and streams, treats at ice cream stands, stuff to keep Tulliver happy and looking forward to the next ride. I'm a tad anxious about how he'll do, but Barley's spirit will be with me letting me know which ideas work and which of them have a high suckage factor.

The first litter of golden pups was lost in a tragic accident that crippled the breeder's sister and nearly killed her niece. The 4 year old niece just got out of her full body cast today, a couple months after breaking her neck. Raise a beer to the EMTs who cut her out of the wreckage without causing any damage to her unprotected spinal cord! The next litter of pups was born three years to the day Barley and I set out from Vermont to the Pacific on his longest single ride, a three week 9000 mile adventure that had us completely bonded part way through. We'll most likely keep the name Pandemonium for this little guy.

Meet the future long distance sidecar dog: Sunshine Golden's Pint o' Pandemonium!

SwampFox
Posted 7/12/2016 1:11 AM (#89833 - in reply to #89832)

Expert

Glenfiddich - 7/11/2016 9:45 PM

... Raise a beer to the EMTs....  Meet the future long distance sidecar dog: Sunshine Golden's Pint o' Pandemonium!....

Hi Pandemonium!!

And here's to safe travels for Peter & Tulliver.  May the shade be on you.

NCGL:  Good work getting Daisy to tolerate the Doggles while in motion.  Maddie quickly learned to push 'em up on her forehead 'bout the time I shift to 3rd gear.

NCGLSidecarist
Posted 7/12/2016 7:39 PM (#89851 - in reply to #87453)

Veteran

Daisy has done so well! we just completed a 180 mi. trip on all kinds of roads. She is now starting to figure out ways to make herself more comfortable! Likes to look out through the shield when on back roads at lower speeds. at highway speeds she hunkers down below the dashboard. Smart dog. Still wearing the Doggles and wants them off immediately. Looking forward to many fun rides with her as she gets better at riding and understands that she gets to go places she couldn't go before. One step at a time!
Glenfiddich
Posted 7/18/2016 9:43 PM (#89944 - in reply to #87453)

Regular

Just got back from the BMW Rally. It was Tulliver's first thousand mile multiple day adventure. He did phenomenally well. Very proud of my big red dog!

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software