Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Be silent as to services you have rendered, but speak of favours you have received.>Seneca<

Avon trike frnt tire on sidecar rig
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

fastjoe
Posted 2/4/2016 11:15 PM (#87779)
Subject: Avon trike frnt tire on sidecar rig

Veteran

Anyone tried these yet?
Any advantages over a rear tire run backwards on the front?

Edited by fastjoe 2/4/2016 11:15 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DRONE
Posted 2/5/2016 2:31 PM (#87789 - in reply to #87779)
Subject: Re: Avon trike frnt tire on sidecar rig

Veteran

I assume you're talking about the Avon Front Cobra Trike AV71 130/80-R18? Can't comment on the tire, other than to say that I wouldn't think a radial tire with a "front tire" profile would be the best choice for a big heavy rig like your GW. I think I'd stick with a bias belted rear tire mounted backwards just like what you're already doing. You might try Googling for "Goldwing trike front tire" and see what the internet comes up with. I just tried it and it looks like there's lots of posts in various forums on that topic. I would think that any tire that works good on a GW trike would also work well on a GW SC.
Tourist
Posted 2/21/2016 2:08 PM (#87963 - in reply to #87779)

I put an Avon "Trike" tire on my outfit this past November. I have a GL1800 with a CSC FSIII. Running a Michilan Run-Flat on the rear. I only have about 800 miles on it to date, but it's running fine so far.
DRONE
Posted 2/22/2016 8:21 PM (#87983 - in reply to #87779)

Veteran

Tourist - 2/21/2016 11:08 AM I put an Avon "Trike" tire on my outfit this past November. I have a GL1800 with a CSC FSIII. Running a Michilan Run-Flat on the rear. I only have about 800 miles on it to date, but it's running fine so far.

I'd expect it to "run fine". The larger question, though, is, "Is there a better solution?" Or more specifically based on the OP's first post, "Is a rear tire better than an Avon Trike?" Where I think a bias-belted rear tire would outperform the Avon Trike would be in (1) longevity, (2) size of the contact patch which becomes more important in wet conditions, and (3) ability to resist squirming caused by strong lateral forces encountered during "spirited" runs down curvy roads. The Avon Trike tire should be absolutely fine for your rig, but my (humble) opinion is that a Bridgestone BT45 Rear, or a even Avon's own AV26 would be better. Longer wearing, bigger contact patch, stiff bias belted sidewalls.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software