Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: LIFE ISN'T ABOUT THE DESTINATION IT'S ABOUT THE JOURNEY !

Am I making a mistake if I cut here?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 4/2/2016 4:12 PM (#88546)
Subject: Am I making a mistake if I cut here?

Extreme Veteran

my sidecar is an Auburn Gemini. Also called a Ride-By-Side and later a Texas Twinstar. It's a double-wide side car built for two people, well, two kids from my estimation. One adult finds it pretty roomy, but I dount think 2 adults would.

Anyway, my wife is mobility challenged and finds it difficult to get in and out of. One thought I had was to hinge the nose so that I could tip it up for her to get in. Another thought, and the subject of this thread, is to cut out the "dash" to allow a larger "well" for her to slip in and out of.

In the attached pic, I drew lines roughly where I thought I would cut. But, would these cuts compromise the structure of the car? Would buffeting of the windshield cause the superstructure to crack? What about "value" of the car? Not that I think it's all that valuable now, but I don't want to turn it into trash. It's no longer made, so I can't easily replace it.

Open to all comments and opinions.

Thanks!

Edited by OldSchool_IsCool 4/2/2016 4:14 PM

(image.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.png (978KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 4/2/2016 5:43 PM (#88549 - in reply to #88546)
Subject: RE: Am I making a mistake if I cut here?

Expert

This panel is reinforcement that helps hold the contour of the body. If removed it will crack, probably in more than one place, Unless the remaining lip is reinforced somehow. Maybe a metal tube molded in from behind with fiberglass would work.

Lonnie
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 4/2/2016 10:23 PM (#88556 - in reply to #88549)
Subject: Re: Am I making a mistake if I cut here?

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Lonnie, that's what I was thinking too. Guna have to think outside the tub on this one!
trikebldr
Posted 4/3/2016 12:30 AM (#88558 - in reply to #88556)

Veteran

From your ideas it sounds like you are geared up and prepared to do some serious modifications to make this work. So, your idea of hinging the whole front end would make it easier for her to enter. Making a parallel tube structure with one hoop along the edge of the top half and one along the edge of the bottom half, then hinged together would stiffen the edges of both halves plus give a very sturdy structure. With a tube arch up and over behind the dash and from one side to the other connecting to the edge tube, you could still cut the dash away as you drew it, too, to give her more knee room. It might take some fancy and careful tube bending and then some good 'glass work to bond it into the body, but I think it would give a very strong structure. Actually, you will need to think INSIDE the tub on this one, or those tubes would look awfully ugly on the outside!
That would be a fun project to tackle. Keep us informed on your progress and post lots of pics!

Edited by trikebldr 4/3/2016 12:32 AM
85shadow
Posted 4/5/2016 8:55 PM (#88591 - in reply to #88546)

OldSchool, Rember you have a welder just "up the road" if needed.
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 4/5/2016 11:08 PM (#88594 - in reply to #88591)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks Shadow. I'm cooking up an idea that could very well use your "particular set of skills."
Peter Pan
Posted 4/6/2016 5:20 AM (#88596 - in reply to #88546)

Expert

I second Lonnie. You will have to reinforce at 3 areas.
the cut out behind the windscreen, the lower bowl at the cut and the upper bowl at the cut.
The backup material can be anything you are comfortable to work with. metal, wood, plastic, webfoam ... as long you include it into the fibreglass structure by generous fibreglass joints.
I had to redo my lower bowl of the Velorex once and applied right inside the female form 2 wooden reinforcements covered by fibreglass for the seat bases and stability. The whole bowl became sturdy and when riding after that modification the boat wasn´t flimsy at all any more.

The patches for mounting I modified at the same time. 2 time 3/16" stainless steel patches 4"*1 1/2" separated from the boat by 3/16" o-ring string and filled up the space in between with polyurethane roof sealant paste.(needed over a week to cure)
Result. the bolt through did not cause any more cracks even with the worst load and roughest roads and this monkeying rider. because the force is lead into the fibreglass over a big area and the fibreglass has still freedom to play.
http://sidecar.com/mbbs22/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=7589&posts=3&h...

Hope this adds some help.

By the way the mold form is still there available for somebody else.
Sven

Edited by Peter Pan 4/6/2016 5:29 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software