Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Only dead fish go with the current"- Anonymous
- (Added by: themickeyd)

Helping hands
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

sunnydolan
Posted 4/4/2016 4:05 PM (#88577)
Subject: Helping hands

New User

Hello all,
My friend wants me to help him mount an older Velorex 562 to a 1991 Goldwing 1500 Aspencade. I have all the hardware but the mount points are getting hard to find in a frame this size. Any experiences out there?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Peter Pan
Posted 4/4/2016 5:22 PM (#88579 - in reply to #88577)
Subject: Re: Helping hands

Expert

If you area a true friend...DO NOT MOUNT IT.

I test rode on last Thursday a fully equiped 1200ccm Goldwing with an EML boat that is double the weight of the Velorex...with small car tires and all gimmicks you wish, but the boat was even with 10 galon water as ballast way too light for to be called a "safe ride".
The frame was extremely low so I asked for "where they left the snow showel?"
The installer from whom came the mounts originally denied an installation done by him...
After only a few turns on the parking lot I know exactly why...
...no way to convert that rig into a real safe safe ride. and we talk of a good quality sidecar, not a Velorex toy excatly like I have on my 350ccm Jawa.

2 Cent.
Sven
CCjon
Posted 4/4/2016 5:28 PM (#88580 - in reply to #88577)

Extreme Veteran

Sven is right. The Velorex is too light for a Wing for a novice sidecarist.

sunnydolan
Posted 4/4/2016 6:03 PM (#88581 - in reply to #88577)
Subject: RE: Helping hands

New User

Would a California Friendship sidecar make a good sidecar for either the Aspencade or the GL1000?
Hack'n
Posted 4/4/2016 8:11 PM (#88582 - in reply to #88581)
Subject: RE: Helping hands

Expert

The Friendship with a bit of ballast would work fine with both of these choices.
Don't try to attach any early Velorex to the Aspencade.
The GL1000 will work with a Velorex that has upgraded suspension and lots of ballast. A heavier car will work better.

Lonnie
jaydmc
Posted 4/5/2016 10:38 AM (#88585 - in reply to #88577)

Expert

I agree, that the Velorex has no business on your GL1500, as other people read this and will for many years to come for the record this is what I told you on the phone. I do like people going to other sources for information as I some times think people think it is a conflict of information when I tell them that while I have what they need, I will not sell it to them as we have a safety first policy. The conflict comes in with the fact that we also build sidecars that will work. In general when going with a California sidecar, California sidecars made a long frame version of their sidecars for the GL1500, the short frame can be made to work however often it involves welding to the frame of the sidecar an extension which we can supply. As you are looking at used sidecars, if the California sidecar you are looking at is a torsion bar suspension, unless it is practically a steel the torsion bar suspension has enough issues with it that it might be worth passing on.
As to your question about attaching points. For the GL1500 you are going to have to have a sub frame type mounting system as the only place a clamp will work is for the upper front however it has to be a larger clamp then standard. Standard clamps be it the ones we make or other companies are 1.25 (or there about for other companies) wide. Our lager clamp which we use for the upper front is 1.5 inches wide. The lower front is a bracket that ties to where the frame separate's near the oil filter area. The rear mounts are a sub frame that among other places picks up the rear floor board mounts well as the upper grab handle for the seat however this is drilled out to 1/2 inch as the 8mm bolts would not be up to the task.
I would not put any Velorex on the GL1000 either however others have and will say other wise.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software