Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You are slower than a herd of turtles stampeding through peanut butter.
- (Added by: DAVE)

added weight
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Hack'n
Posted 5/12/2016 12:39 PM (#89111 - in reply to #89101)
Subject: Re: added weight

Expert

I'm quite familiar with the layout of the Terraplanes. Personally I've never needed ballast with a Terraplane. They are quite a heavy sidecar.
However; I was making a general recommendation for the best placement of loose ballast.

Lonnie
Top of the page Bottom of the page
WinginCamera
Posted 5/16/2016 8:11 PM (#89164 - in reply to #88893)
Subject: Re: added weight

Veteran

I use the plastic water jugs for ballast. I use two 5 gallon collapsible water jugs that I secure in the sidecar seat with a seat belt, adds about 70 to 80 pounds. If I pick up a passenger I just empty the jugs, collapse them and store them in the trunk. Most of the time I have my wife with me so the jugs just remain in the garage, but when going for a solo ride of any distance then I put them in the rig. Having some weight makes the rig ride better too.

As an example of their use, one day I was taking a solo ride around & through Mt Rainier park. While stopped at a view point another motorcyclist started asking questions about the sidecar and commented that he would like a ride. I emptied the water jugs, stored them away while he secured his bike and away we rode. I returned him to his bike about 8 hours later. He really enjoyed it. Of course I didn't have any water to fill the jugs with, but I just adjust my riding style till I got home.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software