Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Remember, People are more opposed to fur than leather because it's easier to harrass rich women than motorcycle gangs! -threeflys
- (Added by: DAVE)

Looking into getting my first sidecar
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 7/20/2016 1:03 PM (#89992 - in reply to #89583)
Subject: Re: Looking into getting my first sidecar

Extreme Veteran

Paperback? Actually there is! Check with Jay at DMC Sidecars (or their website) for a mighty fine piece of ligature on many subjects, inducing side car operation. There are also the collective works of Hal Kendall available at the link Alan posted. Hal was one of the founding fathers of this club and modern sidecaring in general. His knowledge and guidance is sorely missed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jwshort
Posted 7/20/2016 1:36 PM (#89993 - in reply to #89583)

Elite Veteran

Old School sounds like an instructor for Evergreen or the like. I wish I had had this kind of advice when I bought my first rig. I had read a lot and knew that the rig would not handle like a solo bike. I knew it wouldn't handle like a 4 wheel vehicle. Fortunately I only had 6-8 blocks to get it home. It was not until I had gone probably 10,000 miles on that rig and had bought a second that I happend on a sidecar safety course at a National rally in MO. I had ridden there from South Dakota. I say all this to say - you can survive the learning curve on a sidecar rig but you have to be aware of what Old School said in his description of what I will call "self-teaching" your self to ride.
Incidently - I put 60,000 miles on the second rig - rode it coast to coast and border to border plus a trip to Alaska. I am now on to my 3rd rig and love it. I have had no close calls and no accidents. My wife has ridden most of those miles in the sidecar (when she wasn't driving and I was napping in the sidecar.) She still loves the mode of travel except when the weather is ugly. (We had heat and wind on the trip to Hotchkiss.)
The Yellow Book written by Dave Hough is the book to read and is available from the USCA store. I still have mine from the MO rally ('96 or '97?).
redsimp
Posted 7/20/2016 4:12 PM (#89995 - in reply to #89583)

I will read the books I downloaded by Hal in the next few days. I went to the USCA store, but saw no books - decals, T's, a cap, ..............hay libros, nada, zip. Whitehorse press has it - http://www.whitehorsegear.com/driving-a-sidecar-outfit-2nd-edition Maybe I missed it?

I took an MSF class when I started riding motorcycles again - and it still took several years behind the bars to truly feel mildly confident. I don't have issue with acknowledging my inexperience on a topic and listening to those with more. I found that to be a good survival skill. You guys have all been a Fort Knox of sidecar info for those of us considering the leap.
redsimp
Posted 7/20/2016 4:17 PM (#89996 - in reply to #89583)

OH - I clicked on the Adventure something ad in the Store because it said they offered sidecar classes - they no longer offer classes. fyi
And Driving a Sidecar outfit 2nd edition - NOT available at Amazon! They have the "yellow" spiral bound edition for $63....... $35 for 2nd edition at Whitehorse.
jaydmc
Posted 7/20/2016 4:48 PM (#89997 - in reply to #89583)

Expert

As far as I know, white horse and DMC sidecars are the only companies stocking the book which is always spiral bound and all we have is the second edition as we sold out of the first edition years ago. You can order it direct from our web site for $34.95 or via the phone.
The only difference between us and Whitehorse is frankly, I am going to add some of our sales literature with the book.
Adventure sidecars stopped doing classes about 3 years ago now.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
Al Olme
Posted 7/20/2016 5:56 PM (#89998 - in reply to #89990)

Expert

Red,

I'm in Minneapolis. If you get over this way we can arrange a ride.

You might try Scrambler Cycle www.scramblercycle.com in Cameron, WI to see if he has anything used that he might let you ride [or buy]. Kevin, the owner, is a dealer for DMC and Velorex and a generally good guy. He did the [very complex] installation of my EML GT2 kit.
jwshort
Posted 7/20/2016 6:02 PM (#89999 - in reply to #89583)

Elite Veteran

I have been informed that we don't sell books at our USCA store. Jay has them and his price is as good as any if you don't mind getting a sales pitch. Sorry for the misinformation.
redsimp
Posted 7/20/2016 6:16 PM (#90000 - in reply to #89583)

Cameron is way up near Rice Lake. Nice day ride! I'll call & see if he's got anything. And I appreciate the offer, Al. I have some friends in "The Cities" , maybe visit & do a test ride. I may take you up on that ~ but it's a busy several weeks upcoming for me. Summer's short up this way.
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software