Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Never assume a Dog cant catch you !
- (Added by: SIDECARSRULE)

Hey
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

richamor
Posted 8/22/2016 8:31 AM (#90437 - in reply to #89878)
Subject: Re: Hey

New User

Well...I'm a noob to sidecars and mine is mounted on a 2014 Harley Streetglide with the 103 and 6 speed trans. Mine car is a Johnny Sweet Classic which is smaller than the Friendship you have but Johnny adds ballast weight to the frame so I would guess they're not that far off. Mine has no brakes and no electric lean. Being only into this for a few weeks I can say that speed won't be a big issue. I've had mine up to 70-75 but I'm still getting it dialed in and have a bit of head shake at that speed. Not noticeable until I let go of the bars though. Generally right now 45 to 55 seems like the sweet spot. Hopefully that will go up as I get it closer to the sweet spot. Sixth gear on my bike is 2000 RPM at 60 MPH. I don't use it much now because of the need to keep the revs up. I'm used to riding in the 2000-3000 RPM range. Now I'm in the 2500-3500 RPM range in 5th gear. You will want to plan your braking ahead at first and be conscious of your speed and what the rig is gonna do. Watch the curves and be aware that you car will push or pull depending on the curve. You WILL notice the road surface now. Crowns, off-camber, potholes, ripples, etc will be felt through the bars and on the rig. If you have an aftermarket exhaust make sure it's not loud. I had to go back to the factory slip-on's for the wife. You may have a catalytic converter in the RH muffler. You'll want to get rid of that if you haven't already.

You have a 2008 Ultra with the TC 96 engine with a 5 speed tranny if I'm right. I would guess that speed, while it won't be a problem, won't be an issue either. That car is gonna tax that engine. Between the car and bike that's a lot of weight to pull. I would take the lowers off (I did) as it helps keep the heat down by a good bit. Be prepared for the lower gas mileage. I've lost about 10 MPG.

But you will love it. When the wife and I ride we get waves and smiles from just about everyone. And be prepared if the the wife and grandkids are a little hesitant at first. It's way different for them too. If you stop be prepared to answer questions. And I'll admit, I have a soft spot for a Harley with a sidecar mounted. You don't seem them very often, it ain't a tricycle, and it has a heritage all it's own. Hell Harley just quit offering them from the factory a few years ago.

Get it mounted and be prepared for the learning curve as there will be one. It is a great community and I have yet to find ANYONE that didn't seem genuinely happy to talk and explain the whole sidecar experience and answer my stoopid questions. Both Jay and Claude are shop owners with busy schedules but each answered the phone when I called and talked until I had to go.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
billy_bob169
Posted 8/22/2016 1:52 PM (#90446 - in reply to #89878)
Subject: RE: Hey

Regular

I have an 09 Ultra with a CSC Friendship III. We removed the sidecar from an '86 GL1200. The Ultra makes for a good tug. Steering is a little heavier then it was on the wing...but not insurmountable, but I am 32 and have pretty good upper body strength. You may wish to look into raked triple trees after trying the rig out.

It was my belief that the friendship III came in 2 different frame sizes. The shorter frame fit the GL1200 and Harley bikes....and the longer frame worked on the GL1500/1800 bikes? Either way, I am sure Jay will help you get it worked out, and you will love your new sidecar!!

Red Ryder
Posted 8/23/2016 5:02 PM (#90458 - in reply to #89878)
Subject: Re: Hey

Richamor and Billi Bob, thank you for the replies. My 08 Ultra does have a six speed but figured would not use the sixth gear much. Appreciate all your input. Later-
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software