Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "No one ever won a war by dying for his country, you win a war by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" George S. Patton
- (Added by: Deacon328)

Help with identifying & value of used Velorex sidecar
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

redsimp
Posted 7/18/2016 2:27 PM (#89927)
Subject: Help with identifying & value of used Velorex sidecar

My first post & Q - so be gentle. If I posted in the wrong place - my apologies. And I don't have a sidecar yet - working on that decision. Input appreciated.

I am looking at getting a used sidecar for my bike and I have found a couple Velorex in my area & I hope you can help before I plunk down cash. How do I identify the model and year? Is there an ID plate on the car and where would it be located?

The first one is just the car & supposed to be a 700 model from 2005. I have a 2000 Venture – are there attachments available for my bike and any idea how much would they cost? Would this sidecar be a good match for my bike? Also – the brake is not working and he said there is no cable – are parts available to fix that? He’s asking $2800 – is that a decent price? Seems high to me. I have included a picture (I hope) if that might help.

The 2nd is a complete rig - 1984 GS1100 Suzuki w/ Velorex car. They know nothing about the car, the bike has only 35K on the odometer. The blue book on the bike is about $1800 - he's got a $4K price on it. Can anyone tell what year the car is or model from the only 2 decent pics he had w/ the car? Assuming the car is in good shape - what's a decent price for a 32 year old rig? My thought was to get the old bike as a "trainer" and if I like having the sidecar, and don't kill myself learning - put one on my Venture and sell the Suzuki. Assuming I don't wreck it learning to drive a rig w/ car - what's a decent price I could re-sell it for? Pics of that included, too - I hope. (not sure how to insert pics on this forum)

Thoughts from those of you more experienced than I ...................which is all of you.

(Velorex1.jpg)

(Velorex2.jpg)

(Velorex3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Velorex1.jpg (36KB - 3 downloads)
Attachments Velorex2.jpg (216KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments Velorex3.jpg (63KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Hack'n
Posted 7/18/2016 4:55 PM (#89933 - in reply to #89927)
Subject: Re: Help with identifying & value of used Velorex sidecar

Expert

2005 was the changeover year for the suspension. Most all of the 2005 models had upgraded suspension designed to support later model cruiser bikes.
They had a longer swing-arm with modified shock position and 20mm axles (I'm attaching a pic of the new factory HD suspension).
The earlier models had suspension designed to support the 300#plus Jawa and MZ Motorcycles (Attached pic of early swingarm and 15mm axle).

There is a stamped ID plate on the inside rear gusset of the sidecar frame that gives the year of MFG.

The Velorex mounted on the Suzuki is either a 562 Standard or a 562 Cruiser. The Standard has the short swing-arm and 15mm axle, the cruiser has the upgraded suspension.

Attachments are available for most bikes.

Lonnie
NWSC

Edited by Hack'n 7/18/2016 4:57 PM

(20mm Velorex suspension 002.jpg)

(Velorex 15mm swingarm 1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 20mm Velorex suspension 002.jpg (112KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Velorex 15mm swingarm 1.jpg (111KB - 0 downloads)
redsimp
Posted 7/18/2016 5:46 PM (#89934 - in reply to #89933)

Great info, thanks for the help. Looking at the pic of the 20mm - I see a bolt behind the axle (r of the axle in the pic) - is that where the shock attaches? So could look for the shock attachment as a quick way to distinguish the between them?

Any idea on the value of either one? I am not looking to get either for free, but I don't want to get hosed and pay too much.
thanks again.
redsimp
Posted 7/18/2016 5:46 PM (#89935 - in reply to #89933)

Great info, thanks for the help. Looking at the pic of the 20mm - I see a bolt behind the axle (r of the axle in the pic) - is that where the shock attaches? So could look for the shock attachment as a quick way to distinguish the between them?

Any idea on the value of either one? I am not looking to get either for free, but I don't want to get hosed and pay too much just because I'm ignorant.

thanks again.

Edited by redsimp 7/18/2016 5:47 PM
Hack'n
Posted 7/18/2016 8:47 PM (#89941 - in reply to #89927)

Expert

Either one might bring fifteen hundred.
redsimp
Posted 7/18/2016 9:37 PM (#89943 - in reply to #89941)

That seems reasonable. So $3K for the '84 Suzuki w/ car would not be out of line. Much appreciated.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software