Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I went on a diet, swore off drinking and heavy eating, and in fourteen days I lost two weeks
- (Added by: Dr. Raoul Duke)

What now?????
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

guitarzan1
Posted 8/2/2016 8:07 PM (#90174)
Subject: What now?????

New User

Hi,
I've been interested in getting a sidecar now for awhile. I'm 65 and ya know how it goes. Well I'm ready to do it now and purchase a sidecar. I have a 1994 Goldwing SE 1500 and I have no Idea of even where to start. So I need some direction here. I see used ones for sale and I don't have a clue about what ones will work on bike. I hear about they have to have weight added to them, curtain kinds of suspension are better than others, so I just need help please.

Thank you
Frank
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Al Olme
Posted 8/2/2016 10:02 PM (#90177 - in reply to #90174)
Subject: RE: What now?????

Expert

Frank,

You didn't tell us where you live and that would be a help because the first thing you need to do is find someone who has a sidecar or a place where they offer classes and get the chance to drive a sidecar rig. You might decide that you hate it and that would save you a lot of money. BUT... if you decide that you love it [we know that you will] then you need to start making some decisions about what you want.

You have a big advantage starting out because you already have a bike that is a popular sidecar tug so almost any sidecar can be fitted to it [but remember, not all sidecars SHOULD be fitted to our Wing]. First decision is new or used. If you want new the task is much more simple. Pick a car that you like and that is big enough for your bike and ask your passenger, if you have one, if they are comfortable in the chair. If the answer is yes, write a check and you're home. If you want used you will have to be a bit more selective. Any of the larger hacks wold work. I'd say [and this is just me thinking out loud] you are looking for a car that weighs at least 200 lbs. This includes Urals and the clones as well as most of the larger cars.

You could mount it yourself if your're handy but you'd be better off getting a competent rigger to do it for you. Set up is CRITICAL! IF done right the rig will be easy to drive and a ton of fun. If done badly, well, that's where most of the sidecar horror stories come from.

So, here are some questions you need to think about...
1. New or used?
2. Where, how do you want to ride?
3. Will you be carrying a passenger, human or animal?
4. What do you like? Are you looking for modern or vintage?
5. Do you want to do everything to the bike that will make it a better sidecar tug or are you just up for a bolt on hack?
6. Do you have a budget?

That's a start and just my opinion. You'll hear others.
jaydmc
Posted 8/3/2016 10:06 AM (#90181 - in reply to #90174)
Subject: Re: What now?????

Expert

Al has lots of good advise, some thing to keep in mind when looking for a used sidecar for your GL1500, many companies found it necessary to make a longer frame version of their sidecars for the GL1500 / 1800 as these bikes are quite a bit longer then most other bikes. The sidecar needs to be strong enough for a bike as heavy as your bike. And you must have proper mounts for your bike "universal" mounts are not going to work on your bike. We can supply bike specific mounts for many sidecars, we of course also make new sidecars with pricing for the longer frame version starting at only $4395 mounts included. If you are going with a used sidecar feel free to contact me before you even go and look at it. Some sidecars by the time you get the mounts and make them safe for your bike might not be such a good idea, other sidecars can never be made safe for your bike. BTW, I have owned several GL1500 rigs and have over 250,000 miles riding GL rigs with sidecars.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Bob Hunt
Posted 8/3/2016 9:58 PM (#90189 - in reply to #90174)
Subject: RE: What now?????

Veteran

With the wing you will need a heavier sidecar and you have all the power you need to pull it. I would go with a good used one to make sure sidecaring is for you!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software