Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The credibility of the speaker has no bearing on the truth of what is said.
- (Added by: Reardan Tom)

California Friendship Sidecar: Where to buy windshield? & Roof Repair/Replace
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

DirtyDR
Posted 8/12/2016 11:48 AM (#90315 - in reply to #90243)
Subject: Re: California Friendship Sidecar: Where to buy windshield? & Roof Repair/Replace

Veteran

Like Al said "Just be careful and buy their plastics bit if you do buy from them. It's not expensive and it works much better than a standard twist bit" it will save you a lot of problems. I use only nylon bolts and lock nuts on all of my sidecar windshields, and do not tighten them up too much. At least with the nylon bolts you usually break the bolt instead of the windshield when cranked down too tight.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
manco
Posted 8/12/2016 3:03 PM (#90318 - in reply to #90243)
Subject: Re: California Friendship Sidecar: Where to buy windshield? & Roof Repair/Replace

Nylon hardware is great idea. Much more affordable to beak some bolts then crack the windshield. I will definitely use nylon for the hardware. I hear using foam tape behind the windshield helps cushion the plexiglass to alleviate stress too.
Al Olme
Posted 8/12/2016 6:54 PM (#90320 - in reply to #90318)

Expert

The foam tape is a good idea but thicker is not always better. If you use tape that's much thicker than 1/8th of an inch you will either pull each screw down so that it forms a dimple [and cracks eventually] or leave it so loose that to moves in the wind [and cracks eventually]. Generally tape that is not too thick and on the dense side is best.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software