Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: A friend will bail you out of jail. A real friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... that was FUN!"

New Rider, New ride
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

singe990
Posted 8/26/2016 9:46 AM (#90502)
Subject: New Rider, New ride

New User

Hi All...excited to join the forum. As a just licensed motorcyclist, the whole reason I got into riding was to get a sidecar rig...and I'm finally doing it. I'm on the fence though...any chance there are some with opinions for me? I'm considering either:

Buying a used Ural

or

Getting something like a Honda Shadow and fixing it up with a velorex or something similar.

Pros of Ural - ready to go complete rig, meant for a sidecar etc.
Cons - seemingly not great build quality for a bike, low power and relatively expensive new (but would be looking for used)

Pros of Honda - Reliable bike, more power, relatively inexpensive and seems to be a good "beginner bike"
Cons - certainly more complicated needing to buy a sidecar and add.

Anyway - those are my thoughts if you have any of your own please please share and thank you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 8/26/2016 7:59 PM (#90515 - in reply to #90502)
Subject: Re: New Rider, New ride

Extreme Veteran

Welcome to the slightly off-centered world of sidecars Sing!

Are you planning to go off-road? Mostly around town? Eat up highway miles? This is prolly the biggest question to consider before deciding on a rig.

Will you be hauling cargo? Pets? People?

Building a rig: Unless you are fairly skilled with a wrench and can maybe fab up some parts, you'll be surprised at just how expensive it can be to mount up a rig. You may also want to modify your front suspension to makk the driving effort, well, effortless?

For these reasons, I typically suggest you look for a complete rig to learn on and maybe sell it when you are ready to get serious about the sport.

Cheers!
singe990
Posted 8/27/2016 2:57 PM (#90519 - in reply to #90502)

New User

HTanks OldSchool. My whole plan for getting the rig has to do with the fact that I am a musician, and I'd love to make short trips in NYC with the gear I need in the sidecar. Things like saxophones and percussion. Parking will certainly be better than my car, but surely not perfect with the size.

I'm definitly not skilled at building a rig, but what about someone who is selling a used setup...Like I've seen some velorex sidecars added to bikes on ebay etc.

Not planning to do any offroading so the 2wd urals aren't necessary. Really a CT ural used would be what I had my eye on. But being a complete noob I have no real idea what would be best.
Hack'n
Posted 8/27/2016 9:00 PM (#90522 - in reply to #90502)

Expert

an 1100 Shadow with a 563 Velorex would be a good affordable rig that would be able to maintain freeway speeds and the removable top would protect your instruments from the elements. Lonnie
NWSC
singe990
Posted 8/28/2016 1:48 AM (#90525 - in reply to #90502)

New User

Thanks lonnie. Do you think a 600cc 2002 shadow with a velorex would cut it? (Seeing one for sale nearby)
Hack'n
Posted 8/28/2016 7:16 PM (#90529 - in reply to #90502)

Expert

600cc's won't maintain sustained high freeway speeds, otherwise it's a good fit.

Lonnie
NWSC
Sal
Posted 8/29/2016 12:55 AM (#90534 - in reply to #90502)

Regular

I agree with Lonnie but if the price is right and is set up correctly then it can be a great learning rig. Stay off the highway and she'll be a blast.
Maybe someone can compare it to a Ural.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software