Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  Use care in reading the advice of others. -> Legislative Watch -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: The more you call attention to yourself, the less speed it will take to get you pulled over.
- (Added by: SidecarMike)

Children to be banned from riding on motorcycles
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Use care in reading the advice of others. -> Legislative WatchMessage format

GlennMcGovern
Posted 9/11/2016 10:20 AM (#90722)
Subject: Children to be banned from riding on motorcycles

I see DOT and NHTSA have a new rule banning all children from riding on motorcycles. Presently in La. children under 5 years cannot ride on a motorcycle as a passenger but it is unclear if riding in a sidecar is also prohibited and another part of the statue prohibits children who have to use a car seat from riding on a motorcycle without the restraints of a car seat. Apparently this is a federal rule that will be forced on the states to receive federal funding. I will do whatever it takes to fight this in La. and on the federal level. I know the statistics in Europe show sidecars are much safer than two-wheeled motorcycles so there cannot be statistically data to support this for sidecars. I will check with the La. State Police on this the the La. District Attorneys Association on how they presently deal with this in regard to sidecars and how they will deal with the future federal regulation and enforcement.
Also I hope you are keeping track of the self-driving car legislation around the country and the Zero Vision policy that has spread from Europe. Sweden DOT has talked of banning motorcycle training to limit or eliminate motorcycles in the Zero Vision strategy. Self-driving cars are part of this. NHTSA and DOT are silent on where motorcycles will fit in which is very concerning. This may be the biggest threat motorcyclists face.
I hope to see many of you in the sidecar rally in Minden, La. Elena and I will be there. I will also be at the N.O. Bike Week rally in New Orleans near Armstrong Park at the Theatre ground on Sept. 24-26 and have a booth there for ABATE and the Law Office of Glenn McGovern. Come by and visit.
Glenn McGovern
gcmcg@mac.com
PS I attach an article hereto on the self-driving car threat.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments MOTORCYCLES&SELFDRIVING CARS.docx (162KB - 18 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ID Rep
Posted 11/9/2016 2:58 AM (#91375 - in reply to #90722)
Subject: RE: Children to be banned from riding on motorcycles

Washington state already has a law banning children from being passengers on motorcycles if they are under 5 years old. I don't think it applies to riding in sidecars. I do know that anyone riding in a sidecar has to wear a helmet.
Bone
Posted 10/1/2017 5:28 PM (#95259 - in reply to #91375)
Subject: RE: Children to be banned from riding on motorcycles

ID Rep - 11/8/2016 11:58 PM

Washington state already has a law banning children from being passengers on motorcycles if they are under 5 years old. I don't think it applies to riding in sidecars. I do know that anyone riding in a sidecar has to wear a helmet.

You should really do a little research before posting on something you don't know about and get someone in trouble. All passengers in Wa. state must be at least 5 years of age regardless if it is 2 wheeler or 3 wheeler. All passengers in Wa.state must wear a DOT helmet regardless if it is a 2 wheeler or a 3 wheeler. Read the Wa. motorcycle operator manual !!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software