Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: People who don't smile at sidecar rigs, don't smile much.
- (Added by: ditch)

Velorex
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Posted 2/6/2005 9:15 AM (#6209)
Subject: Velorex

Just took delivery of a 562 Velorex sidecar on Friday. Spent that day and 8 hours yesterday at a local cycle shop trying to mount the thing to an '03 Moto Guzzi California EV. After finally getting the brackets placed? we spent another several hours trying to mount and make the thing track and handle properly. No success. The guys at Velorex can only offer that it is a "universal" mount. To me that means designed to work with everthing but fits nothing. Beginning to think I've made a very expensive mistake. Any pix, suggestions, information, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
MGNOC #20183
'03 LeMans
'03 California EV Touring
'04 H-D Ultra Classic
Top of the page Bottom of the page
gilles70fr
Posted 2/6/2005 11:18 AM (#6212 - in reply to #6209)
Subject: RE: Velorex

New User

Hi,
First of all how do you choose the fixing points on Guzzi frame ?
Have made a drawing or a sketch ? have check the lead and the distance between sidecar and motorcycle frames ? any trouble with exhaust pipe ?
Be informed that 562 is suitable with midweight bike without improved suspension.
I'm surprised because used to be easy.
With more details from you could help for carry out the situation.
Regards.

Hack'n
Posted 2/6/2005 1:50 PM (#6213 - in reply to #6209)

Expert

A cycle shop isn't a sidecar shop. Most have never mounted a sidecar.
We haven't had these kind of problems mounting 562s on the Guzzis.
Without seeing what you have done so far it would be hard to trouble shoot your problems.
As Gillis mentioned, more details (and pix) would help to diagnose your dilemma.
I always advise new buyers to purchase their sidecar from a dealer who is EXPERIENCED in the installation of their product as opposed to buying directly from the distributor (or from a boiler room discount operation to save a couple of bucks), often they have never installed one of their products and cannot offer any needed technical support.
This seems to have happened in your case and these situations do not serve our industry (or the sport) well.
Your installation will work but you may need to do a bit more research and brain picking. It's not the fault of the product. The Velorex is a fine sidecar for the price.

Lonnie
Northwest Sidecar

Posted 2/7/2005 8:16 PM (#6244 - in reply to #6209)

With help from a couple of leads provided here and some calls to sidecar dealers today I feel I have the data needed to properly finish the installation of the Velorex 562 rig to my Moto Guzzi California.
However, I got some conflicting a very disturbing comments during this research. The consensus seems to be that this rig with the proper amount of ballast will function well hooked to the EV 1100. A couple of dealers though told me emphatically that it would be dangerous to use a rig this small and light with so large a displacement machine. Some positive feedback from enthusiasts using a Velorex on a motorcyle of this size would be appreciated. If this is indeed the case I need to know that too.
Hack'n
Posted 2/7/2005 11:24 PM (#6251 - in reply to #6244)

Expert

Since you took delivery so recently you must have the 562S or 562 Cruiser.
Although the Cruiser model would be preferred duie to the redesigned swing-arm, adjustable shock and wider wheel, both have the newly introduced 20mm axle which replaced the old 15mm one. Despite it's relatively light weight the 562 Standard and 562E (Euro) sidecars have been used on large displacement bikes (GLs included)for years. Usually they will need some added ballast (up to 100# has been recommended by the distributor in the past). The only complaint I have heard other than soft suspension has been from the lower rear sidecar clamp slipping out of adjustment under heavy loading or impact. This can be remedied by a small spot weld or two. The suspension can be stiffened up easily with a sturdier shock.
We do not recommend the usage of the 562 Standard for high speed touring on a large touring bike or the heaviest cruisers.
We do recommend upgrading the suspension for high speed work and have a bolt on heavy duty suspension conversion available for off-road, dual sport, or heavy loading.
A trip through the Albums section here (Hack'ns Hacks) will show some of the 562 rigs we have put together here for our customers with no adverse feedback. Most are larger displacement bikes.

Posted 2/7/2005 11:32 PM (#6253 - in reply to #6209)

I do have the 562 Cruiser. If I carry 100# of ballast will I be able to drive this rig on long trips and at speed? This really has me concerned as I don't want just a new toy but a competent and rideable rig.
Dr. Raoul Duke
Posted 2/8/2005 1:31 PM (#6263 - in reply to #6209)

Regular

In your part of the world I would call Bob Wark at The Wark Shop. Although he mostly paints rigs I am certain he could steer you to a qualified local who could mount this properly. Bob is a Prince of a Guy and has even gotten Velorex parts for me in the past.

My 2 cents
DRD

Posted 2/8/2005 1:53 PM (#6264 - in reply to #6209)

I have spoken with Bob Wark twice already. He even called me on Sunday on his nickel and spent the better part of an hour o the phone after getting an email. It is the information he provided that makes me feel that we can finish this job properly. I am new to sidecars since Friday last and have already spoken to some of the nicest and friendliest people around, and I mean around. From all across the country I have gotten advice and suggestions. This is going to be a good thing I know. Can't wait to get started to the rallies. Thanks to all who have so promptly responded to my request for help. Any addtional input much appreciated.
claude #3563
Posted 2/8/2005 9:56 PM (#6281 - in reply to #6264)

Expert

mOTOGEEZER,
Just want to say you are in good hands with Bob Wark. You could also contact Gary Haines at the sidecar magic shop which is in Bunkhannon, W.VA. Same place as Hack'd Magazine..hackdmag1@yahoo.com or
call 304-472-5507.
Yes, the Velorex is light. Please keep this in mind as you learn the ropes , so to speak. Go for the ballast! You may want to download Hal Kendall's books from this site and really read through them..good info there.
Lonnie (Hack'n) mentioned the lower rear mount. This is the clamp type mount on the sidecar frame. Yes, it does tend to slip. You can weld it as
was mentioned or just drill a small hole and stick a screw in it, at least until you are mroe confident of your setup.
Oh..and maybe you can come up to the sidecar RON-DEE-VOO in central Pa in August too. There is also the Hack'd event later in the year in W.VA.
Hope to see you at these!!

Posted 2/8/2005 10:51 PM (#6284 - in reply to #6209)

So do you think with ballast added the Velorex is going to be not only safe but a unit I'll want to keep? I'd really rather start right and safe even if it means losing some cash. wish I'd done a little more research to begin with but I had full confidence in my dealer at the time.
Can you give me some info on the PA rally? Already have the WV one for Oct 1-2 on my calendar. Any info on other events appreciated.

Hack'n
Posted 2/9/2005 2:19 PM (#6296 - in reply to #6284)

Expert

Claude mentioned drilling a small hole and putting a screw in it to hold the rear sliding clamp. Usually this would work well with a threadded hole.
The reasons I prefer to apply spot welds (to both sides of the clamp) is that drilling holes in a tube at a torsional stress point does weaken it to some degree, however small. The other reason is that I had an overloaded BMW/562E rig come into the shop a few years back (on the way to Alaska from Southern California) which had a mount that had been drilled and bolted due to sagging. The 1/4" grade 8 bolt had loosened due to road impacts and vibration and had worn a 1/2" slot in the frame tube. In effect, it was sawing the tube in half. I welded up the frame tube and spot welded the clamp and he was safely on his way.
I doubt the story would have had a happy ending had he continued on from Washington to Alaska without stopping in for this fix.

Lonnie Cook
Northwest sidecar
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software