Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Chrome won't get you home, But you'll look good pushing it
- (Added by: bootshd)

How high on the bike frame for attaching car
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

jdvorchak
Posted 1/22/2017 11:26 AM (#92072)
Subject: How high on the bike frame for attaching car

On my new to me 71 CL350 I need to adjust the lean of the bike but on the front "lean adjustment" bar I'm all the way out on the threads. Now the way that bar attaches to the front frame is with a clamp and of course I can loosen and slide it up and down. My problem is that this is the "scrambler" model and the exhaust is in the way of what looks like the ideal spot. My question is how low can I go on that front attachment before it becomes dangerous? If I drop it below the exhaust that will put it about 4 inches lower than the rear attachment.

Not sure if you can tell from the pics but if I go below the exhaust the attachment point will be significantly below where the rear attaches.

Thoughts?

Top of the page Bottom of the page
jdvorchak
Posted 1/22/2017 1:11 PM (#92074 - in reply to #92072)
Subject: Re: How high on the bike frame for attaching car

Never mind. My son, who is an automotive/monster truck metal fabricator, came by and said "Lets cut that front tube and weld a heavy tube sleeve over that one extending the whole assembly about 2 inches" after measuring it. He also noted that someone had already cut that tube and welded it back together. I can only guess to fit on a previous motorcycle. No way would I attempt this myself but he does stuff like this for a living so I trust him.
CCjon
Posted 1/22/2017 8:54 PM (#92076 - in reply to #92074)

Extreme Veteran

Great son to have, problem solved. Good luck with the the new rig.

CCjon
Posted 1/23/2017 4:50 AM (#92078 - in reply to #92072)

Extreme Veteran

A question to post to the group is the wisdom and safety of mounting a steering stabilizer to the front axle.........???

Click on attachment below if Photo is not displayed.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Steering stabilizer axle mount.jpeg (198KB - 15 downloads)
jdvorchak
Posted 1/23/2017 9:22 AM (#92079 - in reply to #92072)

It's not really mounted to the front axle. It's mounted to the front fork just above the axle. After servicing the steering stem bearings the wobble, or head shake, was eliminated. That damper is worn out, I am considering just removing it.
Al Olme
Posted 1/23/2017 11:38 AM (#92082 - in reply to #92079)

Expert

Removal is a good plan. Not every rig needs a stabilizer and a nonfunctional stabilizer is of no value.
jdvorchak
Posted 1/24/2017 8:08 AM (#92090 - in reply to #92082)

Al Olme - 1/23/2017 10:38 AM

Removal is a good plan. Not every rig needs a stabilizer and a nonfunctional stabilizer is of no value.

I did order and receive a new damper and will install it to see if it helps with the "twitchy" feeling when riding on these rough/y secondary roads.

As far as sidecar rigs go, this is a pretty light weight setup. Just riding it around the neighborhood is a workout. But I still haven't added any ballast and have not ridden an adult in the car. I am looking forward to tweaking the alignment to get it to run straight down the road without it putting up a fight.

It's back in the shop for now awaiting the modified attachment arm and I developed a nasty oil leak from the stator cover. Awaiting a new gasket to fix that.

Thank you all again for your support and suggestions.
Al Olme
Posted 1/24/2017 1:09 PM (#92094 - in reply to #92090)

Expert

On rough roads many sidecars feel "twitchy". Remember that since you are now a two track vehicle you get input from more than one direction on rough road. After a while you'll get to the point where the "twitchiness" won't bother you because you'll trust the rig to recover on it's own. It's probably the second scariest thing for a solo rider to get used to. The first is that the rig doesn't turn when you lean, MANY rigs have been driven into things with the solo rider turned sidecar pilot swearing that "Something is wrong with this thing".
jdvorchak
Posted 1/25/2017 10:43 AM (#92107 - in reply to #92072)

Thank you for the re-assurance. Maybe this thing doesn't handle as bad as I initially thought. For some reason the fact that I have to steer this has never entered my mind while riding. Possibly because I always, and instinctively, counter steer. Now I do still put my feet down at a stop until my right foot gets tangled in the attaching parts and I remember what I'm riding.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software