Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: You can hit small with a big hammer ...But you cant hit big with a small hammer..
- (Added by: sidecarjoe)

Calling all Steering Geometry Experts
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

CCjon
Posted 2/16/2017 10:54 PM (#92393)
Subject: Calling all Steering Geometry Experts

Extreme Veteran

Have a KLR650 rig with cargo sidecar box. Currently running three different size tires: 17" on the rear, 21" up front and a 19" on the sidecar. 

In wanting to reduce the assortment of sizes, was thinking to change the front to a 19" rim.  Then could run a 110 or 120 maybe even a 130 wide up front. Also 19" dual sport tires seem to have a better selection and availability.

There are 19", 4" wide, 36 spoke rims on eBay I could order, keeping the same KLR hub and oversized brake disks

The question is: How much will this change affect the rake? Will steering be harder or easier? 

This is my third world country adventure rig, so there is a practical motivation to reduce the number of tire sizes.

I appreciate any advice or insight you can offer.

Thanks  CCjon

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Peter Pan
Posted 2/17/2017 12:01 AM (#92394 - in reply to #92393)
Subject: Re: Calling all Steering Geometry Experts

Expert

smaller tire in front makes you tilt forward and shortens the trail. Originaly you should have had 105mm.As you stiiffened springs in front and back as I understood, there might have happened a change already.
19" wide rig tires are often bad to find. In Germany I have found a supplier who gives 18" rims. There is no trouble in any of our central american countries to find rubber for 18 inch rims.
that way you tilt even more to the front and probably do not need any steering moditication at all.
All three wheels the same has its benefits on the trip without any doubt.
And don't forget to pass by. my offer from 2 years ago stands still.
Sven
jaydmc
Posted 2/17/2017 10:05 AM (#92401 - in reply to #92393)

Expert

We have built KLR rigs with 18 inch rims all the way round, a smaller wheel in the front will reduce trail some.
Jay G
DMC sidecars
www.dmcsidecars.com
866-638-1793
Al Olme
Posted 2/17/2017 10:08 AM (#92402 - in reply to #92393)
Subject: RE: Calling all Steering Geometry Experts

Expert

Jan,

Moving to a smaller wheel and tire will decrease trail and lower steering effort. I believe that after a short adjustment period the mod would serve you well. At first it will feel a bit squirley. BUT, I agree with Sven, it's not all that easy finding 19 inch tires. If it's possible, I'd go to 18" all around. You'd lose a tiny bit of low end but you'd pick up as much at cruising speeds.

'See you in Corning!

Peter Pan
Posted 2/17/2017 10:25 AM (#92404 - in reply to #92393)

Expert

Jan. by the way.
Original KLR size tires I never got here (and didn't like them at all as in deep sand or mud you kissed the ground immediately), but its equivilent from Pirelli in old style inch diameter was easy to find. For the Solo KLR my mountain travel favourite were MT21 with a pretty open thread and below 65 miles still reasonably handling and braking on asphalt at not bad mileage. Above 65mph you could watch the thread vanishing and didn't feel happy in emergency stops.

So you are getting on your final stretch of preparation of the big trip?
Hope to see you.
Sven
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software