Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow
- (Added by: DAVE)

Metzeler Block-K Sidecar Tire Up Front
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Photozone
Posted 2/20/2017 12:03 AM (#92430)
Subject: Metzeler Block-K Sidecar Tire Up Front

Today I rode a rig with a Metzeler Block-K Tire on the front. I did not like the way it rode compound felt "hard" and it seemed to want to slide-out when pushed. Also I don't think the rig was set up very well. I will check later. Just wondering if anyone else has had any experience with this tire. Thanks

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Al Olme
Posted 2/20/2017 10:29 AM (#92432 - in reply to #92430)
Subject: RE: Metzeler Block-K Sidecar Tire Up Front

Expert

Yes, I run three 3.5x18 Block K's on my classic BMW rig [and carry one as a mounted spare]. It works just fine but remember, the Block K was designed for lower speeds and performance so it is a hard compound. It can wash out on wet roads or under hard cornering. Still, once you know how it handles, I find it a superior tire for my needs on that bike. Many people, including some experts, suggest that you run a motorcycle tire in the front. It won't wear as long as it does on a two wheeler but they do handle pretty well and generally have lower steering effort. Remember, you have a much smaller contact patch with a motorcycle tire. The physics there is still a trade off. Since the contact patch is smaller there is more weight on each square unit than there is on a larger patch [divide weight by square area]. Once the tire starts to slide, which is better, more concentrated weight or a bigger abrasion patch? Of course tire compound and tread design come in here as well.

If you want to go high performance on a sidecar rig, you may want to go all the way, convert to auto sized rims and use auto tires. There are many more choices in tires for cars. You can pick your compound and your tread pattern, within reason.
jaydmc
Posted 2/20/2017 12:56 PM (#92440 - in reply to #92430)
Subject: Re: Metzeler Block-K Sidecar Tire Up Front

Expert

You might want to also look at Heidenau tires, they make flat profile tires that might be a bit more modern in their make up.
I prefer how "round" tires ride in the front however a skinny flat profiles work almost as well and I have found that they do stop you better. http://heidenautires.com/
Jay G
DMC sidecars
866-638-1793
www.dmcsidecars.com
jwshort
Posted 2/20/2017 2:01 PM (#92441 - in reply to #92430)
Subject: Re: Metzeler Block-K Sidecar Tire Up Front

Elite Veteran

I ran Block k's on an R90/Watsonian GP rig. The steering effort increased due to the larger contact patch on the front but the stopping power was better. I don't recall that the Block K wore signigicantly better. Their big advantage was contact patch.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software