Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Grasshopper: the student has surpassed the master
- (Added by: dave)

Watsonian GP value
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

Snakeoil
Posted 4/5/2017 6:04 PM (#93039)
Subject: Watsonian GP value

Regular

I know folks come here all the time looking for values on rigs and it is a very subjective topic. But I've come across a nice hack and thought I'd poke the fire here to get some input from the more seasoned folks.

The hack is a 2000 Watsonian Squire Gran Prix. I am waiting to hear back from the seller regarding what sub-model of the GP it is. Not sure if Classic, Jubulee or Wide Body.

I checked NADA and they show the range anywhere from $1500 to $1900. Given the soft sidecar market, I can see that being close to accurate. Looking at the Watsonian USA website, the GPs are in the $7K plus range, depending on model. The original owner paid $4500 plus shipping so somewhere in the $6000 neighborhood.

Hack is 17 years old, reportedly in very nice shape. Paintjob is flames and hence, needs a total repaint. I'd go back to a solid color to match whatever bike it would go on.

So, any educated inputs on value for this 17 year old hack? Even if I don't buy it, I would pass along the info to the seller so he knows the market.

Thanks,
Rob
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Al Olme
Posted 4/5/2017 11:12 PM (#93045 - in reply to #93039)
Subject: RE: Watsonian GP value

Expert

"Given the soft sidecar market"??? Maybe I'm all wet here but I see the market for quality used sidecars as very strong. The market for junk is always soft. If you want evidence look at the NADA price. They are quoting about 25% of the current new price for a SEVENTEEN YEAR OLD SIDECAR. That is probably close to 100% of the price seventeen years ago [I can't back that up, it's just a guess]. I haven't seen this hack and I don't know any of the folks involved in the sale but quality goods like a Watsonian are a very strong market. Of course that's just my opinion, you'll hear others.
Snakeoil
Posted 4/6/2017 12:09 PM (#93047 - in reply to #93039)
Subject: Re: Watsonian GP value

Regular

Appreciate the input, Al. The soft market is my perception based on watching rigs for sale on CL. They seem to languish on their for a long time. I looked at several BMW vintage rigs when I was first in the market before I stumbled upon my Ural rig, which I did not want but had to buy when I made a ridiculously low offer and it was accepted. One of those rigs is still for sale and it's been 2 years now. The other left the area with the owner. It had not sold when he left. A third was taken off the market. It was a Bursong R65 rig with a Cozy. He might have sold it since. I think he was just asking too much for it.

I see a number of the more modern looking cars for sale and they too seem to lanquish. Maybe it is just a local thing. I'm looking in the NE. I think a big if not huge portion of the sidecar market was lost to trikes. And yet a smaller portion was lost to Spyders and Slingshots, two vehicles I just don't get.

I talked to Claude Stanley and he says the general rule of thumb is half the price of the hack when sold new. Given the incidental costs of shipping the car here from the UK, the 2000 price the owner gave me of $6000 to the US is probably not off the mark. Economy has been pretty flat since '01.

Turns out this is a GP 700 which is the wide body rig. Not sure I want that. May go look at it this week.

regards,
Rob
Kilometers
Posted 5/23/2017 8:14 PM (#93596 - in reply to #93039)
Subject: Re: Watsonian GP value

Regular

Rob, hey, did you go look at it? Whatever happened??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software