Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: True Happiness is a Full Tank, an empty bladder, and a place to hang your coffee cup.
- (Added by: SidecarMike)

Max Weight in Sidecar
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

Red Ryder
Posted 4/22/2017 10:31 PM (#93212)
Subject: Max Weight in Sidecar

Hey, have a CSC FS III, with 08 Harley Ultra.
Not sure of max weight in sidecar is, but with wife and grandchild, it's just about 200 lbs. Is that to much?
Also, should heavier person be closer by tire, or by bike in this two seater?
Thanks-
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 4/23/2017 9:44 AM (#93216 - in reply to #93212)
Subject: Re: Max Weight in Sidecar

Extreme Veteran

Outside of structural issues, if you can accelerate fast enough to stay out of trouble, and your breaking performance is similarly trustworthy, then I don't think your tub loading plan is a problem. Passenger location within the car is not nearly as consequential as passenger loading of the tug. If you are going to load the pillion seat, then you want the heavier ... umm .. objects... in the car.

Something to pay attention too and definitely something to give a heads up to the adult rider of the car is to brace themselves when cornering. Centrifugal forces could shove the larger body into the smaller body to the point of causing injury to the latter.

Edited by OldSchool_IsCool 4/23/2017 9:57 AM
VLAD
Posted 4/23/2017 10:40 AM (#93217 - in reply to #93212)
Subject: RE: Max Weight in Sidecar

Extreme Veteran

CSC FS III with wife and 20 years old + luggage close to 400-450 lb. No problems. Heavier person has to be closer to the bike.
Red Ryder
Posted 4/23/2017 11:53 AM (#93218 - in reply to #93212)

Thank You Old School is Cool and VLAD! Glad to know we was not overloaded. Thought about some cam's for a little more power.
The bike pulls slightly left when empty, and right when loaded. Also, was going 55 mpr, and there is a shake in handlebars when I briefly lift off my hands.
Still trying to get everything right, been alot of work, but Fun to ride. Later-
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 4/23/2017 5:01 PM (#93221 - in reply to #93218)

Extreme Veteran

Make sure your head bearings are tightened to spec (and maybe a tad tighter) to see if that takes out the head shake. As for pulling, that's where electric lean becomes a good option. Since the direction of pull changes between empty and full, you are probably about right. Watch your tire wear for additional clues.
VLAD
Posted 4/23/2017 6:40 PM (#93223 - in reply to #93218)

Extreme Veteran

You can call experts like DMC,etc... and ask about alignment of your rig. OldSchool_IsCool right watch where on rear tire Shake in handlebars at 55mph most likely you need re-balance front tire. Shake in handlebars more or less normal at 23-30 mph if you take hand off handlebars.

Some people use dampers to fight it. I do not like it. It give you harder steering all the time, but help you just at 23-30 mph. Just keep both hands in handlebars.
Electric lean becomes a good option. For less money you can get "raked" tipple tree. After i install it i fill no need for
electric lean. I do ride alone and with 1-2-3 passenger so load change a lot.

I do not like Flood control on this site it is real pain on the b*tt

Edited by VLAD 4/23/2017 6:52 PM
Red Ryder
Posted 4/23/2017 10:47 PM (#93229 - in reply to #93212)

Thank You again Old School_is Cool and VLAD. This sidecar Does have the electric lean, have not messed with it much on the road. Tommorow I will check front tire and head bearings.
Looking at rear tire, I see more dirt wear on left than right side. Thanks again for your replies, most appreciated. Later-James
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software