Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Life is too serious to be taken seriously - Gust in Wisconsin
- (Added by: Administrator)

Made it a whole week with a Sidecar rig...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

LowriderBud
Posted 6/8/2017 10:00 PM (#93787)
Subject: Made it a whole week with a Sidecar rig...

Been riding for over 50 years and nothing, I mean nothing I learned or developed in that time prepared me for driving a sidecar. I talked to other folks that drive them and read as much as I could find on the internet, even watch a half-dozen You-Tubes trying to find out what I was getting into. So, after a week the fear factor is less, but the respect for this new beast is just as great.

Today I got out of the neighborhood (the a 3 mile perimeter road where I live with limited traffic and a 30 MPH speed limit). I got on the Farm to Market roads and went about 30 miles, bought some gas, and actually road at 55 MPH for most of the trip.

The best part is I feel myself smiling while riding this odd handling 3-wheeled contraption. Too early to say, but I might just be hooked. Thanks for letting me tag along on this forum. Thanks to the folks that provided some direction.

Later, Bud...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
jwshort
Posted 6/8/2017 11:00 PM (#93788 - in reply to #93787)
Subject: Re: Made it a whole week with a Sidecar rig...

Elite Veteran

Welcome to the slightly eccentric world of sidecaring.
AJ1200
Posted 6/9/2017 7:24 AM (#93790 - in reply to #93787)

Veteran

welcome and congrats on your new rig, take your time and practice practice practice. tell us about your set up and post some pictures
CCjon
Posted 6/9/2017 8:56 AM (#93791 - in reply to #93790)

Extreme Veteran

Bud, glad to hear you are enjoying a new world of motorcycling. Each day your skills and confidence will grow, giving you even bigger smiles.
Your first confidence shaker will be going into a curve too hot. Ride the posted speed limit and build your skills. When you are ready for a short road trip, go see Marcus in Lufkin.
Call if you want to discuss any aspect of riding or wrenching.
CCjon in Cypress
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 6/9/2017 10:55 AM (#93795 - in reply to #93791)

Extreme Veteran

Welcome Bud and congratz on your new found adventure!

Do continue to be cautious. You're at a rather dangerous point in your sidecar education, knowing enough to be dangerous! Avoid the urge to go boldly into the uncharted. Go cautiously for now, there will be time for boldness once you have many more mile under your belt.
SwampFox
Posted 6/9/2017 9:39 PM (#93801 - in reply to #93787)

Expert

Glad your enjoying the sidecar rig. There's lots of good advice up the page here.
LowriderBud
Posted 6/10/2017 8:01 AM (#93803 - in reply to #93787)

Thanks for all the greetings and suggestions. I plan to call Marcus on Monday to figure out when I can schedule a class. I bought the rig from Rolon, a member of this forum. It's a 2003 Suzuki VL800 with a bunch of miles and a Velorex Sidecar that he installed in 2006. He was selling the rig to make room for his next project; a later model Suzuki with a Hannigan sidecar. Seemed like a good choice for me since it had 50K+ proven miles, and was priced fairly for a rig to learn on. First priority is to rebuild the brakes (it like to go better than it like to stop). I'll post some pictures when I learn how, but you can look at the rig in the classifieds. Rolon posted some nice shots that represent the rig well.

Later, Bud...
jwshort
Posted 6/10/2017 10:09 AM (#93804 - in reply to #93787)

Elite Veteran

Hi Bud:
I read your blog last night. It brought back memories of when my brother and I rode to Alaska. It was a long standing (since High School) "Bucket List" thing. I kept a journal and wrote it up and sent it to the Sidecarist. Your posts indicate that you are have a lot of fun in your new adventure. I can see an article for the Sidecarist in the making here. We love to see and read about (pictures and text) these adventures. If you haven't seen the Sidecarist - it is our full color bi-monthly publication and it is one big reason to join the USCA. ($30 for the first year and $25 to renew) Sorry for the shameless sales pitch. I am a little prejudiced here but I think we have a great club and a great magazine.
Where in E. TX do you live? We spent 2+ years in the Texarkana and Mt. Pleasant. My wife's job took her to 48 schools in North East TX.
SwampFox
Posted 6/10/2017 2:29 PM (#93806 - in reply to #93804)

Expert

jwshort - 6/10/2017 10:09 AM

Hi Bud: ... Your posts indicate that you are have a lot of fun in your new adventure. I can see an article for the Sidecarist in the making here. We love to see and read about (pictures and text) these adventures.....

Yep, sure do. Bud, take a look here for supporting photos to a 2013 article published in The Sidecarist that featured your new-to-you rig:

Cool  http://www.sidecar.com/mbbs22/photos/photo-thumbnails.asp?albumid=5...

including this photo from Oakland Plantation in Bermuda, Louisiana - where John Wayne bivouacked in the The Horse Soldiers.

Note:  The photos are in reverse chronological order when you open the link to the Album

LowriderBud
Posted 6/28/2017 1:01 PM (#93987 - in reply to #93787)

Last time I was here I tried to post a picture of the bike and sidecar and it did not work. Picture came out upside-down. Got a lot of suggestions and guidance from folks on the Get Help Forum, and finally got things to work correctly. Since last entry I have put about 250 miles on the rig, and signed up for the S/TEP class July 1st, that Marcus Renfroe teaches in Lufkin. Here's a couple pictures I got from the PO.

(IMG_0463.JPG)

(IMG_0462.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0463.JPG (2183KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments IMG_0462.JPG (1386KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software