Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Live as if you were to die tomorrow, learn as if you were to live forever. 'Mahatma Ghandi'
- (Added by: SidecarMike)

WOBBLE'S GONE!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

op200
Posted 2/14/2005 7:23 PM (#6390)
Subject: WOBBLE'S GONE!!!

Talk about Murphy’s law .... This whole thing started back in October when I rode The thing up to the side car rally where I smoked the Ignition controller. After a couple of weeks I got that replaced. Then I had to replace a float. Then the wobble. I tore the front end apart, than Christmas came (I was busy making a Christmas present), than I end up in the hospital, finally I got back to it but I couldn't get it together, had to have my kid come over and out it together for me. Wobble still there. Thinking the home made reverse I put on the sidecar wheel was hanging up, I tore it out, still wobbles. Evan though I can't detect any looseness, I tried tightening the rear swing arm, way lose, better but still wobbles. Next the steering head, that was way lose too, bingo, wobbles gone. This thing's been down for 4 mos. now, if I wanted to go to the swap meet, I've had to ride the (electric) wheelchair over (4 miles.) The morel of this story, looseness in swing arms and steering heads can't be detected without taking them apart and any one can cause a wobble. I'm just lucky I'm still alive.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
claude #3563
Posted 2/15/2005 7:17 AM (#6402 - in reply to #6390)
Subject: RE: WOBBLE'S GONE!!!

Expert

Glad that it worked out for you. Steering head bearings should be a little tighter with an outfit than with a solo machine. It gives sort of a dampening effect helping to get rid of wobble. Many outfits, if not most, do have a wobble at slow speeds. This is usually not a bad wobble and will not be an issue if your hands are on the bars. A dampner will take this away if nothing else works...or...manY , including myself, just get used to it after a while.
Steering head bearings, swing arm bushings, tires and or tire pressure and excessive toe can all contribute to a wobble.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software