Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It is easier to go fast then to stop fast.
- (Added by: SidecarMike)

9-SPOKE MAG WHEEL FOR 2000 HD CAR
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

roadglider
Posted 6/19/2017 1:18 PM (#93907)
Subject: 9-SPOKE MAG WHEEL FOR 2000 HD CAR

Hello,
I'm trying to put a matching 9 spoke mag wheel on my 2000 car with disc brake. I measured the front rim on my tug, a 2008 Roadking and the laced rim on my car and bought a front wheel from a 2008 tourer. I installed 25mm bearings, clear-coated the rim and bought a new ww tire. Go to mount on the bike and it won't fit properly with the spacer needed to line up the disc brake- too wide, very little clearance on the tire on the outside, and castle nut can't be pinned. So right now it's on my rig but I can't install the newly rebuilt disc brake- real bummer.

I had read on here that it was simply a front tourer rim, but that ain't right. The overall width of the hub is the same but the width at the bearings is +/- an 1/8" too wide. Anyone know from what model bike a 9-spoke mag wheel will fit? Any help much appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
IndSlim
Posted 6/19/2017 7:41 PM (#93911 - in reply to #93907)
Subject: Re: 9-SPOKE MAG WHEEL FOR 2000 HD CAR

Regular

The nine spoke wheels were used on FLs from 2000 to 2008, so some were on TLEs from that time frame. I saw the comment about a front touring rim being the same, and even made a mental note of it for future reference. Recently a nine spoke for a TLE was on eBay and they were VERY proud of it. The +/- 1/8", exactly where was that measured? It's not something that can be dialed in with custom spacers?
BTW, we love pictures.
roadglider
Posted 6/20/2017 9:21 AM (#93913 - in reply to #93907)
Subject: Re: 9-SPOKE MAG WHEEL FOR 2000 HD CAR

Thanks for your response IndSlim. The distance from bearing to bearing is too wide; the hub of the wheel measures the same as the laced wheel I removed. I assume the new bearings were installed correctly in their seats so I'm kind of baffled. The disc brake assembly cannot be shimmed in because it sits right against the mount toward the sidecar wheel. it could be shimmed out a little but not in. With the spacer in place inside the sidecar wheel the brake disc lines up perfectly with the caliper, without it i can get the castle nut on the axle but the disc has to be removed....
I got a good price on the 9 spoke wheel I purchased on Ebay. The bummer is I completely refinished and epoxy-clear-coated the rim only to find it won't work with the disc in place. Do you remember what the seller was asking for the TLE spoke wheel?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software