Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: If the world hands you lemons, make lemonade.
- (Added by: Bubblechaser)

Electric Reverse Help
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

jamesmoss
Posted 6/22/2017 6:05 PM (#93933)
Subject: Electric Reverse Help

New User

Hello, I have a sidecar I purchased that has an electric reverse system including a motor controller, resister module, starter, gear attached to the wheel hub and 12volt automotive battery. Included is a wiring diagram.
Although I have it working the resister speed module has one extra lead that I do not know where to connect. This lead may be used for a higher or lower speed, I’m not sure. Can anyone help on this project?

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Visio-Sidecar Electrial Wiring.pdf (54KB - 23 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jeff_Online
Posted 7/13/2017 1:04 PM (#94131 - in reply to #93933)
Subject: RE: Electric Reverse Help

It appears to my untrained eye that this is the variable throttle input. The wires to connectors 2&3 on the controller are throttle input. Frequently hooked up to a variable resistor. As this module is the 'resistor speed control' I think it's some sort of variable resistor. Either you ground it or put positive 12v on it, and that should effect the speed of the motor, I think.

Since there's only one wire, I'd try to see if it blows up when you hook it to +12v.

You might be able to just put a variable resistor in between the motor controller leads and ditch that module. See what happens when you short the terminals for 2 & 3, I'd guess the motor runs fine at full speed. Increasing resistance should slow the motor.

It's possible that a 12v+ pulse switches the resistor module through gradated steps. In that case, you just switch it to + and every time you hit the switch, it changes one step of speed, kind of like pulling the chain on a ceiling fan. This makes a lot more sense, because why have the thing at all in the other theory? Just toss in a resistor and toss out the stupid module. Turn it on, touch the wire to 12v+, and see if the motor slows down or speeds up. (Of course, it could always be switched to ground, too, but generally they don't do that too much.)

The other theory is, it's grounded and you install a variable resistor between that wire and ground, and control the speed of your reversing. That just sounds wrong, though. Then again, you could install a resistor even if it was positive, I suppose, but why run another positive to the thing?

Sorry I couldn't help more than basically say, "Plug it in and see if it blows up". Make sure you have fuses installed if you try it, but even that might not save the module. Do these at your own risk, I'm just guessing here, but if it were me- I'd either tape it & tuck it away, or screw around with it even though I might melt it. Shrug. Worst case, you put the resistor between (or hook together for 100% speed) the two terminals on the motor controller.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software