Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Just because I have ADHD doesn't mean-oh cool, where's this link go to?
- (Added by: SidecarMike)

Pulled the Trigger
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

ocpd44
Posted 7/6/2017 7:22 PM (#94060)
Subject: Pulled the Trigger

After much discussion and shopping around, I finally pulled the trigger on a new sidecar for my Wing. In September, I'll attempt a Bunburner 50cc from San Diego to Jacksonville. My wife will fly out to meet me and we will meander up to the Hannigan factory in Murray, Kentucky where they will install a fully loaded GL2. About the only thing we aren't getting is the power lift seat. I'm a bit concerned about the clearance with the top on. They will also change out my tire for a CT and do all the work on the bike to make it sidecar friendly. I can hardly wait.

Jeff
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ncdave
Posted 7/6/2017 10:49 PM (#94063 - in reply to #94060)
Subject: Re: Pulled the Trigger

talk about torturing yourself! this is going to be the slowest summer for you on record! LOL

can't wait to see the pics!
ocpd44
Posted 7/7/2017 12:29 AM (#94064 - in reply to #94060)

The pics going, will be a blur. But, I'll make sure to document the rest of the trip, lol. Oh, and we just finished a 3 week long Route 66 trip with 80 friends. A great trip.
ncdave
Posted 7/7/2017 8:44 AM (#94066 - in reply to #94060)

that sounds like a lot of fun. GWRRA event?
ocpd44
Posted 7/7/2017 2:51 PM (#94072 - in reply to #94060)

No, Ironbutt, actually. GWRRA is holding their annual rally in Texas during the same time, though.
ncdave
Posted 7/7/2017 4:18 PM (#94073 - in reply to #94060)

Iron butt on a goldwing? that's just too easy! LOL

sounds like fun though!
Bama Jack
Posted 7/7/2017 6:51 PM (#94076 - in reply to #94060)

Good luck Jeff with the new rig. We are poking around that road as well. Depends on the co-riders evaluation in a couple of months. Trike won't help the co-rider since it is basically the same pillion platform. Sidecar may be the only option to continue riding for comfort and enjoyment. Been looking at Hannigan as you outlined which fits a Gold Wing very well. Time will tell. The Wing and Hannigan sidecar makes a bodacious looking rig!

Edited by Bama Jack 7/7/2017 6:53 PM
ocpd44
Posted 7/7/2017 8:54 PM (#94078 - in reply to #94073)

ncdave - 7/8/2017 1:18 PM

sounds like fun though!

I know, Dave. What can I say?

Jeff
ocpd44
Posted 7/7/2017 9:03 PM (#94079 - in reply to #94076)

Bama Jack - 7/8/2017 3:51 PM

Good luck Jeff with the new rig. We are poking around that road as well. Depends on the co-riders evaluation in a couple of months. Trike won't help the co-rider since it is basically the same pillion platform. Sidecar may be the only option to continue riding for comfort and enjoyment. Been looking at Hannigan as you outlined which fits a Gold Wing very well. Time will tell. The Wing and Hannigan sidecar makes a bodacious looking rig!

That's our situation too, Jack. Julie is able to get around with a cane but she has difficulty making the long hauls. With her aboard, I usually do 200-250 mile days tops. And, that takes a lot out of her. Without her, 650 is a minimum day for me.

We looked at several rigs and narrowed it down to the Hannigan and the Champion Daytona and the Hannigan GL2. We are fortunate to live right down the street from the Champion factory. They gave us the grand tour and I would have no problem buying a rig from them. But, the Hannigan just offered so much more at a lower price. And, as you point out, it looks great on a Wing. Julie and I recently finished a Route 66 Rally travelling 12 days back from Chicago on the bike. We made friends with a sidecar driver who happened to have the GL2 hooked to a Honda Valkerie that he was hauling his granddaughter in (wife on the back). So, we had a great opportunity to see how it looked, drove and to get all the info from him. I think that is what really sold us.

BTW, you are from my favorite part of the country. I started my police career in Prattville, Alabama and lived in Millbrook, just north of Montgomery back in the early '80's. I have very fond memories of my time there and still keep in touch with old friends.

Regards,

Jeff
ncdave
Posted 7/8/2017 1:49 AM (#94082 - in reply to #94078)

ocpd44 - 7/7/2017 8:54 PM

ncdave - 7/8/2017 1:18 PM

sounds like fun though!

I know, Dave. What can I say?

Jeff

enjoy it as long as you can!!! :D
danfinazzo
Posted 7/22/2017 9:12 PM (#94267 - in reply to #94060)

Okay I am confused - the only large sidecars that i can find easily on the Hannigan site are the SP2 and a GTL - the initial thread mentions a "GL2" can you enlighten me as I currently own an SP2 and am looking to go a little bigger . . .

Just did an Ironbutt with my wife in the hack - 1135 miles in 21 hours and it included the "Tail of the Dragon" for starters!! Yes we are still married . . .

Edited by danfinazzo 7/22/2017 9:17 PM
ocpd44
Posted 7/29/2017 1:19 AM (#94361 - in reply to #94060)

Sorry, Dan. It was supposed to say GTL. If you look close at the options, you can get the "wide" seat which is three inches wider, if you are looking for bigger.

The Tail of the Dragon is on my bucket list.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software