Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I can't believe how incredulous I am.
- (Added by: dave)

Florida to Wisconsin and back trip.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

bentleyssq
Posted 7/19/2017 12:48 PM (#94205)
Subject: Florida to Wisconsin and back trip.

Regular

Hello, newbie to sidecars here, riding motorcycles since 1964 and always loved sidecars but they are just scarce. I bought a complete rig end of May in WI. I flew up to Wisconsin and picked up my rig and practiced riding the rig before embarking on a journey further north in Wisconsin to visit my sister and further check out the rig. I have a 1995 Honda Goldwing GL1500 with a Hannigan Astro 2+2. The bike and sidecar handled great. Spent two days in Wisconsin then headed back to Florida. Well, after riding and somewhat learning the ins and outs of the rig, I wanted to go back up to my sisters for a longer visit. Last week I talked my wife into going on this trip. After setting up the sidecar with more creature comforts for her and packing up our luggage (Knapsacks-Filled) we left Englewood, Fl at around 05:10am Monday and started our journey north. I headed up towards Dothan, GA so as to avoid Atlanta traffic and it is a nice ride. We stopped in TN that evening and continued on early in the am again and arrived in Two Rivers, WI that evening just around 7pm. We had to stop for awhile in Indiana as there was a very fierce Rainstorm and high winds. I pulled off the highway for awhile and we took a late lunch break and waited for the storm to pass. I'm not a stranger to riding in rain as it rains almost daily in the summer in FL, but this storm was brutal. We had one minor incident as the steering damper bracket broke just as we got to the Wisconsin Welcome Center off the highway. After 10 minutes with tools I had it off and stored in the trunk and making up a new one out of stainless and Nylock nuts at home. The bike performed superb. We stayed a few days , got a fishing license and went out for trout and salmon, and headed back to FL on Sunday morning at 05:39 am. Got to Murfreesboro, TN that evening at 630pm and the next day left for FL at 05:30 and got back home that evening at 810pm. 1507 miles each way. My wife said the ride was long but not too bad as the sidecar is big enough that she can lie down and sleep in it. The more I rode it the more confidence I had on the bike. Not once on the trip did I see another sidecar, lots of Trikes and motorcycles, but no Sidecars. Hope to get to some of the rallys that the forum lists and meet some other sidecarists. Will be doing some modifications to the sidecar and will post pics when I do.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ncdave
Posted 7/19/2017 3:14 PM (#94210 - in reply to #94205)
Subject: Re: Florida to Wisconsin and back trip.

you MUST post pics of your wife asleep in the sidecar! LOL

seems like your trip might make a good article in the sidecarist magazine, perhaps with a slant about how to travel long distance with a sidecar?

either way....sounds like a great trip. some day when i retire I hope to be able to do the same!
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 7/19/2017 3:16 PM (#94211 - in reply to #94205)

Extreme Veteran

Welcome to the slightly off-center world of Sidecars, Bentley!
Al Olme
Posted 7/19/2017 3:45 PM (#94216 - in reply to #94205)
Subject: RE: Florida to Wisconsin and back trip.

Expert

Bentley,

Judging by your long distance riding ability, it's not too late for you to attend the USCA sidecar rally in Corning, NY.
jwshort
Posted 7/19/2017 4:40 PM (#94218 - in reply to #94205)

Elite Veteran

After reading your story I can add my YES to NCDave's suggestion that you write up your adventures and send them to Martin at editor@sidecar.com. Pictures would be nice too. We would like to meet you at Corning.

And that steering damper may be unnecessary. Jack up the front wheel of the rig and tighten the steering head bearing until the front wheel falls gently to one side or the other. not too tight but just enough that the front end falls gently to one side or the other. This puts just enough friction in the system to stop the wobbles. I ran 60+K miles with a K1100/Motorvation Formula using that method.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software