Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: "Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of the window."

Calling All OldWing Gurus
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 8/6/2017 2:20 PM (#94472)
Subject: Calling All OldWing Gurus

Extreme Veteran

A question for the GoldWing'n Sidecarists out there, particularly the 4-bangers.

I have a '82 GL1100 with a double-wide fiberglass sidecar (Auburn Gemini, a precursor to the Texas TwinStar). It seems I'm going thru head gaskets way too fast. They only last 2-3 years. I buy OEM, so I don't think it's a matter of bad quality gaskets. I'm maticulus about getting the surfaces clean and flat. And I follow Honda's service manual re cleaning and lubing the head bolt and case threads and moly paste under the bolt flange. I step-torque on install then re-torque after a few heat cycles.

Is it a matter that the added weight of the sidecar is adding extra stress to the engine and the head gaskets are the weak link that pops first? Should I just get accustom to the idea that I'll be changing head gaskets often? Maybe stop drag racing (and beating) all the sport bikes at red lights? Should I consider putting the heads back on with Velcro for easier gasket changes? :-D

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fastjoe
Posted 8/6/2017 6:07 PM (#94477 - in reply to #94472)
Subject: RE: Calling All OldWing Gurus

Veteran

Have you seen this page? Maybe there is something there?
http://www.randakksblog.com/gl1000-gl1100-gl1200-head-gasket-detail...
cycleman
Posted 8/6/2017 7:42 PM (#94479 - in reply to #94472)
Subject: Re: Calling All OldWing Gurus

I've had 3 four banger goldwings, 2-77 and 1-83. Never had any issues with head gaskets, water pump replaced on one of the 77. What it is doing is not normal. Flush and check the rad, rad cap & thermostat, also the temp switch that turns on the fan. The next time you have the heads off do a level check as they may be warped. Also be careful what antifreeze you use. The Randak is a good site for info as well as the Steve Saunders site. I vaguely recall something about wrong head gaskets, mix up in years or something similar. Those old wings were over built and being used as a tug should be fine as long as the cooling system is up to snuff.
sfchock
Posted 8/12/2017 12:38 AM (#94607 - in reply to #94472)
Subject: RE: Calling All OldWing Gurus

My 82 Aspencade just turned 90,000 miles and I have had it since 99. I do my own maintenance and I do use Honda coolant, oil and filter. I have had no leaks or problems. I did have a 76 that I had to replace the water pump, dripping from the weep hole which is an indicator

(031.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 031.jpg (411KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software