Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena. - Teddy Roosevelt
- (Added by: OldSchool_IsCool)

Calling All OldWing Gurus
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 8/6/2017 2:20 PM (#94472)
Subject: Calling All OldWing Gurus

Extreme Veteran

A question for the GoldWing'n Sidecarists out there, particularly the 4-bangers.

I have a '82 GL1100 with a double-wide fiberglass sidecar (Auburn Gemini, a precursor to the Texas TwinStar). It seems I'm going thru head gaskets way too fast. They only last 2-3 years. I buy OEM, so I don't think it's a matter of bad quality gaskets. I'm maticulus about getting the surfaces clean and flat. And I follow Honda's service manual re cleaning and lubing the head bolt and case threads and moly paste under the bolt flange. I step-torque on install then re-torque after a few heat cycles.

Is it a matter that the added weight of the sidecar is adding extra stress to the engine and the head gaskets are the weak link that pops first? Should I just get accustom to the idea that I'll be changing head gaskets often? Maybe stop drag racing (and beating) all the sport bikes at red lights? Should I consider putting the heads back on with Velcro for easier gasket changes? :-D

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
fastjoe
Posted 8/6/2017 6:07 PM (#94477 - in reply to #94472)
Subject: RE: Calling All OldWing Gurus

Veteran

Have you seen this page? Maybe there is something there?
http://www.randakksblog.com/gl1000-gl1100-gl1200-head-gasket-detail...
cycleman
Posted 8/6/2017 7:42 PM (#94479 - in reply to #94472)
Subject: Re: Calling All OldWing Gurus

I've had 3 four banger goldwings, 2-77 and 1-83. Never had any issues with head gaskets, water pump replaced on one of the 77. What it is doing is not normal. Flush and check the rad, rad cap & thermostat, also the temp switch that turns on the fan. The next time you have the heads off do a level check as they may be warped. Also be careful what antifreeze you use. The Randak is a good site for info as well as the Steve Saunders site. I vaguely recall something about wrong head gaskets, mix up in years or something similar. Those old wings were over built and being used as a tug should be fine as long as the cooling system is up to snuff.
sfchock
Posted 8/12/2017 12:38 AM (#94607 - in reply to #94472)
Subject: RE: Calling All OldWing Gurus

My 82 Aspencade just turned 90,000 miles and I have had it since 99. I do my own maintenance and I do use Honda coolant, oil and filter. I have had no leaks or problems. I did have a 76 that I had to replace the water pump, dripping from the weep hole which is an indicator

(031.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 031.jpg (411KB - 0 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software