Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I may be FAT...but Your UGLY...and i can Diet.
- (Added by: Modelflyered)

New member from Ohio..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

thart2009
Posted 8/6/2017 6:21 PM (#94478)
Subject: New member from Ohio..

Not sure how I ended up in this rabbit hole.. but here I am. Purchased a RE Bullet 500 and ordered a Cozy Rocket from Kevin at Cycle Sidecar. Spent the weekend assembling and aligning the unit and finally have it feeling pretty good. I guess I was looking for a smaller vehicle for the country roads around our small town of Ohio. I think it will fit the bill. Came across the USCA forum looking for some tips on alignment and found some good advice. Thank you! Unfortunately, I also found the forum "Complete Units for Sale". Some cool rigs there!

Anyway, just finished my last test/practice ride after assembly. Still pulling a little bit to the right. Feels real good at 5o mph though. I'll keep working on it.

Tom
Ashland, OH
Top of the page Bottom of the page
OldSchool_IsCool
Posted 8/7/2017 11:52 AM (#94485 - in reply to #94478)
Subject: Re: New member from Ohio..

Extreme Veteran

Welcome to the slightly off-center world of sidecars, Tom!

Do be careful as you learn to pilot a rig (yes, rigs are piloted or driven) as over confidence sets in pretty quickly. Lots and lots of parking lot practice if you can. The mean streets are unforgiving of mistakes, best to make your mistakes away from traffic, ditches and obsticals. Add ballast to your car (far to the right and far to the rear). You can remove ballast as your "butt sensor" gets used to the yaw and waggle of a rig (see why it's called piloting??). A sidecar class is well worth the investment.

A couple thoughts on ballast:
1- With the rig parked, stand on the left foot peg with your right foot. Grab the handelbars with both hands. Lean to the left, trying to pick up the hack wheel. If it picks up "easy", add ballast.
2- humans and pets are a poor choice for ballast while you are learning
3- never refer to your wife as ballast.

Stay Safe!
dave
Posted 8/8/2017 1:10 PM (#94526 - in reply to #94478)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Tom, I passed your town a few weeks ago going to the USCA national in New York.  I live in Trotwood, Oh.  your in luck next year the National is in Rising Sun In. on the Ohio River, fathers day weekend.  I'm the OHIO state rep. for USCA.  feel free to email or call anytime.  VP@SIDECAR.COM or 937-554-1817
deltamark
Posted 8/9/2017 10:37 AM (#94552 - in reply to #94478)

New User

Hello Tom and all! Yes, I also found my way into this rabbit hole and it's a good one! Nice to see representation from the region! I live near Delta, Ohio and also attended the USCA National in Corning. I am a sidecar wanna-be. Currently reading, learning, shopping and hoping to have something yet this riding season!
thart2009
Posted 8/9/2017 11:17 AM (#94553 - in reply to #94478)

Thanks for the welcome guys! And its great to hear from some fellow Buckeye riders. I was in Utica, NY July 26th and 27th. Didn't even know about the rally in Corning. I coulda shoulda driven by. I finally have my car aligned properly. That was quite a project for a newbie. Could not have done it without info from this site. Great little bike for the back roads and around town. But I'm glad to see that some of those here have two (or more) sidecar units! Maybe in a year I can add a little more power and comfort for excursions further out. Ha!

Royal Enfield Bullet w/Cozy Rocket sidecar.
by Tom Hart, on Flickr

Edited by thart2009 8/9/2017 11:52 AM
LowriderBud
Posted 8/10/2017 9:18 AM (#94577 - in reply to #94553)

Welcome to the Sidecar Experience! You did what I wanted to do when I got interested in owning a rig - you got the parts and put them together. I took the easy way out and bought one from the "complete rigs for sale" classified forum. Got a real good deal, but missed the full experience and satisfaction of building one myself. Now I'm wanting to build a rig myself. Just need to make more room in the garage.

Congratulations on your build/assembly/alignment and fine tuning.

Peter Pan
Posted 8/10/2017 10:42 AM (#94579 - in reply to #94478)

Expert

Hello Tom, wellcome with your tiny screw shaker.
My son owns a RE too: first 75km first rivet came off and at 85km pling the first screw flew off = Next day lots of locktite blue 242 was used. With patience you will get these stubburn Hindustan girls educated. All it takes is to stick to the rev range where you feel a minimum of vibrations.
The most dangerous part comes when you start to feel comfortable, then you will get an "adrenalin moment", which might take more then a bit of sweat.
Pray it takes no blood. = Myself first day 3 times straight into the pasture / next day whacked out of the ground a road side post with front fist and knee / 3 weeks later a 3/4 salto mortale in the left ditch in freezing Norway. I hung down the rig like a pig to slaughter with the head in 1m deep snow.

Once passed that point you will soon ask yourself: "Why didn't I do that years ago?"

Welcome in the club.
Sven
thart2009
Posted 8/10/2017 2:44 PM (#94586 - in reply to #94579)

Ha! Thanks for the welcome Sven! But "tiny screw shaker"? That hurts. And to think I bought this as a replacement for my just removed prostate!

But you are right. It's small and underpowered. And I do keep checking those screws! Such fun though to just cruise the country roads or our sleepy small town streets. She is most comfortable at 45mph. 50 is OK too. But I can imagine a bigger bike.. There was a 2004 BMW R 1150 GSA with 2006 Hanniganr in the For Sale section that made me drool. And others too.

Anyway, glad to be here and thanks for the note!

Tom

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software