Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> Technical Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: I can't believe how incredulous I am.
- (Added by: dave)

Uneven Rear Tire Wear
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> Technical DiscussionMessage format

hdsidecarron
Posted 8/10/2017 3:24 PM (#94587)
Subject: Uneven Rear Tire Wear

I have an 1989 Ultra Classic with Harley Sidecar. I am getting more wear on the inside of the bike rear tire (the side closest to the sidecar). Handling is good but the tire wear concerns me. Air pressure 40 psi. All comments are welcomed.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Valkrider
Posted 8/10/2017 8:34 PM (#94593 - in reply to #94587)
Subject: Re: Uneven Rear Tire Wear

Veteran

How is the rigs alignment?
DRONE
Posted 8/11/2017 9:22 PM (#94602 - in reply to #94587)

Veteran

It's possible that you've been making a LOT of left turns and hardly any right turns, but it's more likely that you don't have enough leanout. The best way to measure leanout is by using an inclinometer against the rear rotor then comparing it to the rotor on the sidecar tire. If you have no sidecar rotor, then do your best to measure the sidecar wheel. If you don't have an inclinometer, you can download an inclinometer app to your smartphone--Apple or Android.
hdsidecarron
Posted 8/13/2017 11:39 AM (#94624 - in reply to #94587)

Checked lean and it's off. Suspect it may have slipped. I will correct this and get the trusty torque wrench out and torque the retaining fasteners to the specified values. Might as well check all fasteners while the wrench is out. Thanks to Drone for confirming my suspicions about the gremlin. Hopefully catching this early will prolong the life of the rear tire.
Valkrider
Posted 8/13/2017 11:47 AM (#94625 - in reply to #94587)

Veteran

Make sure the surface your using is flat and zero the inclinometer on it before measuring the rotor. When adjusting mine I put my weights equivelant of sand bags on the bikes seat. Some folks strap the bike down to actual riding height instead. Since the lean out is off and it still tracks straight which you imply the toe in may be off as well.

Edited by Valkrider 8/13/2017 11:51 AM
DRONE
Posted 8/13/2017 11:57 PM (#94631 - in reply to #94587)

Veteran

On my rig, leanout doesn't change if you add weight to either the bike or the chair. It also doesn't change if I'm on a level surface or a tilted surface. Maybe the Ultra Classic Harleys are different in this regard.
Valkrider
Posted 8/14/2017 11:19 AM (#94637 - in reply to #94631)

Veteran

Ned may well be correct about weight or height reduction on the bike not affecting leanout. I was just repeating the standard overall sidecar setup instructions. An inclinometer must be referenced against the surface it is being measured against.

Edited by Valkrider 8/14/2017 11:23 AM
Al Olme
Posted 8/14/2017 11:37 AM (#94638 - in reply to #94631)

Expert

DRONE - 8/13/2017 10:57 PM

On my rig, leanout doesn't change if you add weight to either the bike or the chair. It also doesn't change if I'm on a level surface or a tilted surface. Maybe the Ultra Classic Harleys are different in this regard.

True IF you measure lean-out relative to the sidecar. Not true is you measure lean-out relative the the surface the bike is sitting upon. The idea of lean-out is to adjust the bike relative to the road surface. There's a nice illustration here http://www.sidecar.com/Files/SC%20Manual.pdf scroll to page 43. The inclinometer is OK to use IF you remember to zero it relative to the surface that the bike is sitting upon. A previous poster mentioned that but I believe that it bears repeating.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software