Return to Home page

Search | Statistics | User Listing Forums | Calendars | Albums | Quotes
Sidecar.com Forum ->  General discussion -> General Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: It's none of your business what other people think.
- (Added by: motomaki)

Wheel Lift
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General discussion -> General DiscussionMessage format

KAmes
Posted 8/25/2017 10:39 PM (#94838)
Subject: Wheel Lift

As new owner and driver of my first sidecar I'm fascinated with the concept of sidecar wheel lift. I read quite a bit about sidecar handling and driving before getting the rig operational, such that I was so cautious I probably looked quite silly the first test drive. The thing seems quite stable, well stable for a vehicle that wants to go every direction but straight. As I've become used to it I've started experimenting with throttle steering, cornering speeds and technique, including some parking lot fooling around. The rig dips and rocks on its suspension, but I've yet to get the wheel off the ground on purpose. Everyone says when you get too confident it'll bite you, but it seems like I need to do something far beyond my normal driving habits to cause it. It feels like I'm going to fly off the bike before the tire will actually come off the ground so I back off not wanting to crash on purpose. Empty sidecar too.
So I'm wondering:

1. I'm lucky, extra stable rig
2. I'm far too timid, possibly a motorcycle weenie (probably this)
3. My rig is extra devious, it's waiting to kill me
4. I simply have yet to encounter the wildcard, curb, pothole, dead wallaby etc.
5. Haven't yet overcooked wide sweeper at high speed (not willing to test this on purpose)

I have always been a pretty conservative rider, due to my desire to stay alive. I'll likely keep that up, I'm not over confident yet. Thanks for listening!

(at the office.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments at the office.jpg (185KB - 1 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pedrotq
Posted 8/25/2017 10:52 PM (#94840 - in reply to #94838)
Subject: RE: Wheel Lift

G'day!

I used to fly my chair going down the freeway at 140kmh, it was great the gyroscopic effect of the wheels keep you stabilised (the slower the harder)

once you get used to the balance point it becomes easy, and kids love it, but you should see the faces of the parents when you come down the road flying the chair with their child in it screaming with joy.

Practice in a deserted carpark somewhere.

Happy and Safe Riding, Peter.
KAmes
Posted 8/26/2017 12:28 PM (#94843 - in reply to #94840)
Subject: RE: Wheel Lift

pedrotq - 8/25/2017 9:52 PM

G'day!

I used to fly my chair going down the freeway at 140kmh, it was great the gyroscopic effect of the wheels keep you stabilised (the slower the harder)

once you get used to the balance point it becomes easy, and kids love it, but you should see the faces of the parents when you come down the road flying the chair with their child in it screaming with joy.

Practice in a deserted carpark somewhere.

Happy and Safe Riding, Peter.

Kids don't know when to be scared! I'm not sure I want to do it on purpose as entertainment, but then I never could ride a wheelie on a bicycle either.

BTW, you should see my face at 140 kmh

Edited by KAmes 8/26/2017 12:36 PM
AJ1200
Posted 8/29/2017 1:13 PM (#94882 - in reply to #94838)
Subject: Re: Wheel Lift

Veteran

Warning Warning DON'T try to learn how to lift the car at speeds. to get the feel for the car lifting you should be in a parking lot and while going SLOW make a hard right hand turn and with trial and error goose the throttle a little and most of the time the car will lift right up, just remember if you keep pulling right when it lifts it will just keep lifting till it tips over so do this nice and easy. once you get a feel for the car being off the ground you can practice keeping it there safely

This is just my 2 cents and it is how I am learning. my rig is way too heavy to try to fly but I need to know how to handle it if it lifts unexpectedly

ocpd44
Posted 8/29/2017 3:50 PM (#94884 - in reply to #94882)

AJ1200 - 8/30/2017 10:13 AM

This is just my 2 cents and it is how I am learning. my rig is way too heavy to try to fly but I need to know how to handle it if it lifts unexpectedly

I guess that answers my question about flying my GTL when I get hung on the Wing next week.......
AJ1200
Posted 8/29/2017 5:06 PM (#94886 - in reply to #94838)

Veteran

ocpd44
I'm not saying I can't fly it, I'm just of a mind it's too heavy to do it safely. I have had it way up there a time or 2, but the front ends wants to wobble and letting it down easy is tough
so other than the occasional practice lift I make it a point to keep it planted
KAmes
Posted 8/29/2017 7:41 PM (#94891 - in reply to #94838)

I'll get the feel for it eventually, I was trying too fast, more like a J turn. I'll try it more like you describe. I'm probably too cautious (chicken), it's new and I don't want to break it.

Edited by KAmes 8/29/2017 7:47 PM
ocpd44
Posted 8/29/2017 10:36 PM (#94894 - in reply to #94886)

AJ1200 - 8/30/2017 2:06 PM

ocpd44
I'm not saying I can't fly it, I'm just of a mind it's too heavy to do it safely. I have had it way up there a time or 2, but the front ends wants to wobble and letting it down easy is tough
so other than the occasional practice lift I make it a point to keep it planted

Ace,

I'm not too keen on the idea anyway. So, the more difficult the better. The GTL weighs 325lbs. by itself. So, I'm hoping I won't need much ballast. I plan on taking a day or two in Murray to get used to it Burt, at some point, I'll have to point it towards home and hit the throttle.

Jeff
mulefour
Posted 8/30/2017 7:25 AM (#94895 - in reply to #94838)

We put a GTL on our 2012 wing in June of last year, now have 19,000 miles on it and do most of our riding in the mountains.
Have never added any weight to the car and the wife only rides in the car if its raining or cold.
Running run flat car tire on rear and rear bike tire on front.

AJ1200
Posted 8/30/2017 7:35 AM (#94896 - in reply to #94838)

Veteran

Jeff
the biggest thing I can say for you as a new driver is get in a parking lot and do lots of circles around it in both directions. You have to get your brain to except steering over leaning. right handers are the hardest at first because your muscle memory doesn't understand it. Also you have to learn to ride the left side of the lane and not the center, don't dodge things straddle them, unless they are large. If you have exp. riding ATV's or snowmobiles just pretend it's a big 4 wheeler and you will do fine
Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures of your new rig
ocpd44
Posted 8/30/2017 8:09 PM (#94897 - in reply to #94895)

mulefour - 8/31/2017 4:25 AM

We put a GTL on our 2012 wing in June of last year, now have 19,000 miles on it and do most of our riding in the mountains.
Have never added any weight to the car and the wife only rides in the car if its raining or cold.
Running run flat car tire on rear and rear bike tire on front.

I'm having a CT (not a RF) mounted by Hannigan. I plan to mount a RT on the front when I get back as I just replaced the rubber on the bike before our June Route 66 ride and I still have a lot of good tread on them. Thanks for the info.

Jeff
ocpd44
Posted 8/30/2017 8:19 PM (#94898 - in reply to #94896)

AJ1200 - 8/31/2017 4:35 AM

Jeff
the biggest thing I can say for you as a new driver is get in a parking lot and do lots of circles around it in both directions. You have to get your brain to except steering over leaning. right handers are the hardest at first because your muscle memory doesn't understand it. Also you have to learn to ride the left side of the lane and not the center, don't dodge things straddle them, unless they are large. If you have exp. riding ATV's or snowmobiles just pretend it's a big 4 wheeler and you will do fine
Good luck and don't forget to post some pictures of your new rig

The folks at Hannigan assure me they will make sure I am comfortable with the rig before cutting me loose. I plan to stay a day or so beyond that just for the purpose of doing parking lot exeercises. I've been practicing riding in the left side of the lane for some time. I realized, however, it may be like driving a car. I own several sizes (read widths) of classic cars and they all naturally track the center of the lane. it has something to do with how we see the lane ahead. I know that it also works that way on the two wheel bike. The only reason it doesn't seem like we consciously adjust our lane position is because we've been doing it so long. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. Already thought about the straddle vs. dodge issue. We get a lot of crap on the roads out here, everything from couches to car ers.

Thanks again, Ace, for all the good advice. I will put it to good use. I head out on my Bunburner 1500 a week from tomorrow and will spend the weekend in Memphis with the wife before heading up to Murray on Sunday.Pictures will be posted.

Regards,

Jeff
ocpd44
Posted 9/12/2017 1:15 AM (#95049 - in reply to #94838)

So, here I am in Murray. I dropped the bike off and took a look at my new chair this morning. Jon-michael at Hannigan says I should have it back Wednesday. I'm thinkin' Thursday. Here's how I got Here:

Okay, so here is the preliminary stats and short story.

I headed out of Tustin on Thursday, September 7th at 3:58 AM, according to my official gas receipt at the Mobil Gas Station on Irvine Blvd. at the 55 Freeway. I pulled into a Shell gas station in Mulberry, Arkansas, on September 8th at 2:12 PM.

Total time, according to Eat, Sleep, Ride was 32 hrs., 14 minutes, 30 seconds.
Total time excluding 7 hour layover in Amarillo Texas, 25 hrs., 14 minutes, 30 seconds.
Total distance: Odometer = 1582
GPS (ESR) = 1541
Google. = 1523

Additionally, I arrived in Amarillo on September 7th at 11:50 PM (9:50 PM DST), for 17 hrs. 52 minutes riding time and odometer reading of 1027 miles, which means I also qualify for a Saddlesore 1000 award (1000 miles under 24 hrs.). The main award I was attempting is the Iron Butt Association Saddlesore 1500 (1500 miles under 36 hours).

Unfortunately, I did not get a gas receipt until the next morning, exactly one hour over my time limit for the 1000. FORTUNATELY, I did get a time stamped hotel receipt for my layover. Hopefully, the IBA will accept the hotel receipt and I can qualify for both awards.

The ride took some planning for logistics and weather. After testing several scenarios, I decided on Amarillo for my layover. There were a lot of other factors as well. Then there were the unanticipated highway construction sitest and detours. Not all of them showed up on Google. That said, it was a great ride that I recommend to anyone seeking a challenge.

Oh yeah, my ride did not end in Mulberry. After getting my gas receipt for proof, I asked the young lady attending the register to sign my witness form. She was happy to do so. I then jumped on the bike and rode another 263 miles to Memphis where I met Julie (she flew in) and had barbecue and hurricanes. I made it to Memphis in 37 hours.

Sunday, we rode up to Murray, Kentucky. You know the rest.

Thanks for riding with me and, God Bless.

Jeff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright 2004-2008, The United Sidecar Association — Built by BarringtonPress — Send your suggestions and comments to the webmaster
USCA Web usage policy

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2017 PD9 Software